i30 Owners Club

Loose marble

xpedro · 12 · 3751

Offline xpedro

• 2nd Gear
Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me: few months ago, i started to ear, when I turn left or right, a noise in the passenger side of the dash, like a loose marble going side to side! Does anyone have the same problem?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nothing that loud xpedro .. just a slight vibration in that area which I haven't had a chance to hunt for...

although some would say I have a loose marble... :rolleyes: :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Remove the glovebox and see what's in there. Maybe a CD or a coin slipped behind the box?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
Could also be a box of tic tacs. ;)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In previous car I have found odd screws and bit and bobs which have just been discarded when the car was being built.

Mainly they have been in the engine compartment and found wedged on lips or on flat box surfaces.

Under the car I think there are reinforcing boxed cross members.  Check these just in case any odd bits have been left in.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
we had a Holden Viva aka Daewoo Lacetti aka Chevrolet Lacetti aka Reasonably Priced Car aka Piece of Crap that had a noise like that. We spent ages chasing it - ended up stripping the dash looking for it and found that it was indeed a marble in the HVAC system. Turned out the kids had left a bag of stuff on the dashboard and a marble had rolled out and in to the demist vent then worked it's way to the bottom of the system. The way the customer looked when I told her, I don't think the kids would have done that again!  :rolleyes:

Have also heard of things being in chassis rails as eye suggested, but never seen it myself. Maybe take someone for a drive who can focus on where the noise is coming from while you focus on driving and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from, then investigate as required. If it's come along since you owned the car and it sounds like something actually rolling around, I would suggest it probably isn't a manufacturing defect, but something actually trapped somewhere.

You need to be a little bit careful unless you're sure it's nothing that you might have lost in to an enclosed space in the car, because if you get the dealer to find it and it turns out it's not a problem with the actual car, Hyundai won't pay a warranty claim on it and you might get a bill from the dealer.  :eek: If you're confident it actually is something wrong with the car, get the dealer to find it. That's their job.  :D

Offline xpedro

• 2nd Gear
we had a Holden Viva aka Daewoo Lacetti aka Chevrolet Lacetti aka Reasonably Priced Car aka Piece of Crap that had a noise like that. We spent ages chasing it - ended up stripping the dash looking for it and found that it was indeed a marble in the HVAC system. Turned out the kids had left a bag of stuff on the dashboard and a marble had rolled out and in to the demist vent then worked it's way to the bottom of the system. The way the customer looked when I told her, I don't think the kids would have done that again!  :rolleyes:

Have also heard of things being in chassis rails as eye suggested, but never seen it myself. Maybe take someone for a drive who can focus on where the noise is coming from while you focus on driving and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from, then investigate as required. If it's come along since you owned the car and it sounds like something actually rolling around, I would suggest it probably isn't a manufacturing defect, but something actually trapped somewhere.

You need to be a little bit careful unless you're sure it's nothing that you might have lost in to an enclosed space in the car, because if you get the dealer to find it and it turns out it's not a problem with the actual car, Hyundai won't pay a warranty claim on it and you might get a bill from the dealer.  :eek: If you're confident it actually is something wrong with the car, get the dealer to find it. That's their job.  :D

I'm sure of it! They've checked out, removing the under part of the dash, looking for something loose and didnĀ“t find a thing! I'm a bit worried that, if they take the upper part of the dash, it will get ratles...

Offline xpedro

• 2nd Gear

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi xpedro.. I like the picture you are using as an avatar.. very clean.. 8)

Offline xpedro

• 2nd Gear
Hi xpedro.. I like the picture you are using as an avatar.. very clean.. 8)

:) It's the prtotype that gave birth to our beloved I30: the Arnejs!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very interesting.. I hadn't heard it called that before..

We had a couple of pix of it on here somewhere but I'll post a few more in a separate thread...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal