i30 Owners Club

Noisy AM on Radio

rattly · 5 · 2371

Offline rattly

• 1st Gear
I have a strong whinning noise on my am channels when the ignition is on, its not there when its off. Its the the sort of noise an unsuppresed petrol engine would have by mine's a2ltr diesel! any thoughts.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi rattly, welcome to the club :)

I rarely use AM but do get some interference on the two channels I sometimes tune into. Much prefer FM.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "rattly"
I have a strong whinning noise on my am channels when the ignition is on, its not there when its off. Its the the sort of noise an unsuppresed petrol engine would have by mine's a2ltr diesel! any thoughts.

Welcome rattly
Where are you from?

In Uk I get same as shambles but put it down to congested airways.

I always use FM as clearer sound
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rattly,

Seldom use AM but haven't noticed an issue down here in Tassie...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Well, on a diesel, there shouldn't be any noise, but, simple things you can do to find the problem.

Turn the radio on, a clear AM station.

Now turn your ignition key on, but do not start the engine. (The fuel pump should prime for a second or two) Does it whine for a second or two? If it does, then it's the fuel pump (Or one of them, depending if there id a high pressure and a low pressure pump)

Ok, no whine? Start the engine. Now, at idle, does it whine? If it does, rev the engine to 1,500rpm. Does the whine go up in pitch? If it does, then turn on your headlights, put the high beam on, put your foot on the brake and turn the rear demister on. Does the whine get louder? If so, then it's your alternator or battery connection. (Could be a bad earth, bushes are stuck, or the rectifier pack is shot) Check the connections to the battery, take them off, clean them, then reapply connections back on the battery.

Ok, if the whine does not increase in pitch and loudness with electrical load, then I would look at anything else electrical (Like heater fan. Turn the heater fan off, then on) does this make a difference? If so, then it's the heater fan.

If you have tried all of these and it doesn't resolve itself to what has been described, then try this as a last resort, hop out of your vehicle while it is running, walk to the back, and place your hand on the antenna. Grip it hard. Does the whine die down or increases dramatically? If it does, then there is an earthing problem with your antenna/stereo. (If an antenna earths out to the vehicle body, it can induce a whine like sound on AM)

If all else fails, take it back to your dealer.  8-)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal