i30 Owners Club

A lot of accidents, caused by people driving auto trans cars

Lakes · 50 · 12328

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
At 92 my Dad still loves cruising around in his Jaguar Coupe.. He admits to having good and bad days (and can get quite vague at times)  :sweating:

It would kill him to pass his license in, but I think he probably should. :undecided:

Daz, I believe NSW is the only State which re tests drivers @ 85 years of age as to their knowledge of the traffic laws and driver competency.   Should happen throughout the nation in the interest of public safety. :goodjob2:

BTW, the Australian Road Rules, formulated in 1997 were supposed to apply uniformly across each State, but it did not happen, driver licensing regulation for the aged was one part that was not adopted  Australia wide, together with a few other ones, i.e. U turns at traffic lights, prohibited in NSW under the Australian Road Rules, but for example Victoria still wanted to do U turns at light, so they do. :wacko:
And not all states have the "Turn left on red permitted after stopping" option either.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
At 92 my Dad still loves cruising around in his Jaguar Coupe.. He admits to having good and bad days (and can get quite vague at times)  :sweating:

It would kill him to pass his license in, but I think he probably should. :undecided:

Daz, I believe NSW is the only State which re tests drivers @ 85 years of age as to their knowledge of the traffic laws and driver competency.   Should happen throughout the nation in the interest of public safety. :goodjob2:

BTW, the Australian Road Rules, formulated in 1997 were supposed to apply uniformly across each State, but it did not happen, driver licensing regulation for the aged was one part that was not adopted  Australia wide, together with a few other ones, i.e. U turns at traffic lights, prohibited in NSW under the Australian Road Rules, but for example Victoria still wanted to do U turns at light, so they do. :wacko:
And not all states have the "Turn left on red permitted after stopping" option either.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Trev, i beleave that rule also say's is it is safe to do so , & not if a red arrow is on, if the lights have red & green arrow's that rule is not allowed. We also do rego check's on all cars three year's & older every year.
I think all states should do the driver test at age 85 on. My father has done it since age 85 he is 94 now, the gent at the retirement village he lives at, that's in the unit next door is 97 he also drives & has to do a driving test every few years & this is a really busy area of Sydney so well done to them both as both have clean driving records & accident free with millions of k's & drive every day.
Some people are lucky, Jack @ 97yo does not even need glass's to read or drive & is a good dart player
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 23:16:37 by Lakes »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Trev, I beleave that rule has changed.
I think all states should do the driver test at age 85 on. My father has done it since age 85 he is 94 now, the gent at the retirement village he lives at, that's in the unit next door is 97 he also drives & has to do a driving test every few years & this is a really busy area of Sydney so well done to them both as both have clean driving records & accident free with millions of k's & drive every day.
Some people are lucky, Jack @ 97yo does not even need glass's to read or drive & is a good dart player

Wow, that is impressive!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz if you meet & talked to Jack you would be impressed to find out he is 97 too I would think he was 75 if I did not know

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Trev, i beleave that rule also say's is it is safe to do so , & not if a red arrow is on, if the lights have red & green arrow's that rule is not allowed.

Quite right, John. But the sign only says, "Turn left on red permitted after stopping".
It's a good rule IMO and they have a similar one in Canada. Except, it's "Turn RIGHT"  :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Trev, i beleave that rule also say's is it is safe to do so , & not if a red arrow is on, if the lights have red & green arrow's that rule is not allowed.

Quite right, John. But the sign only says, "Turn left on red permitted after stopping".
It's a good rule IMO and they have a similar one in Canada. Except, it's "Turn RIGHT"  :snigger:

LOL Trev, on the Turn Right , makes me think back to the first time in a left hand drive car driving on right side of the road, doing the first left turn.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Driving sides should be standardized world wide (on the left, of course). :winker:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:
I've enjoyed the challenge of driving in strange places and always pull rank to be the driver, AFG being a stand-out experience. Neither left nor rght there. :Shocked: :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, I hear the edges on either side can be a bit problematic.  :undecided: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
:lol:
I've enjoyed the challenge of driving in strange places and always pull rank to be the driver, AFG being a stand-out experience. Neither left nor rght there. :Shocked: :D

Sounds like India (or Elizabeth).

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Dazz if you meet & talked to Jack you would be impressed to find out he is 97 too I would think he was 75 if I did not know

I know what you mean.
Many people who have met me think I am only 35.   :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know what you mean.
Only dyslexic people though.. :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I know what you mean.
Only dyslexic people though.. :whistler:

:lol:   :TutTut:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I know what you mean.

I said that your IQ was only 35!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I know what you mean.

LOL Dave.

I've also seen a beauty though the bottom of a beer glass.
Cheers

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
That old BS story?? Its code for "I wasn't paying attention". Insisting drivers learn to drive a manual first would potentially screen out those to incompetent to operate a vehicle.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal