Google Maps Timeline

AlanHo · 11 · 1637

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am reasonably proficient with computers - have even built them for friends and family - but smartphones are very uncharted territory and remain smarter than me.

I can make and receive phone calls, texts and Emails

I can open Chrome, browse the net and look at my Virgin Emails

I can take photos and transfer them to my computer

I can use Google Maps - but not the sat-nav feature.

Social media of any sort does not exist on my phone.

This morning I received via Outlook on my Desktop computer an Email from Google Maps inviting me to explore my March and April Timeline. I had no idea what it was all about - it's the first time I have received such an Email. So I opened it in my browser and started exploring its contents.

I was gobsmacked, shocked, mystified and a little surprised.

You are given a display which shows a large map - under which is a horizontal row of Tabs, one for each day of the month. If you click on a tab the map shows a blue line plotting your movements that day - and the places you visited.

For example on March 22nd it shows that I was at home all day until the late afternoon when I went to Currys on our retail park then back home again. Both postal addresses are given.

On march 23rd the map and details show me leaving home and arriving at Birmingham Airport, then flying to Faro, Portugal, then driving from that airport to Real Marina Village in Olhao to the very block of apartments we stayed in.

Our travels are repeated for most of the days we were on holiday - the map showed the route the car took and where we visited with unerring accuracy - but some days were blank.

I can only assume it was blank because I didn't switch on the 5G data connection on those days.

The 16th April is interesting. We went on a day coach tip to Portsmouth to see the Mary Rose museum.  The Google timeline shows us travelling to the coach depot, the coach route there, visiting the Naval base, having lunch at TGIF and travelling home again. They even throw in some generic photos of the naval base, Mary Rose and restaurant as reminders.

I'm still shocked about this - but not in any way upset because I have nothing to hide.

It might be a bit awkward for a chap who has a mistress or who attends seedy massage parlours etc if his wife gets hold of the phone though.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Indeed, there's no longer privacy in our connected world. Do you have a Gmail account or Google profile? That's usually enough for you to have signed away the right to have your phone tracked.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I do indeed have a gmail account but never use it.

I'm not one to demand privacy in our connected World - anything that helps trace terrorists and other scumbags is welcome. Even at the price of a lack of privacy for law abiding citizens.

being naive about smartphone capabilities it came as a bit of a surprise to be shown how detailed and accurate phone tracking can be.

In fact the only inaccuracy in the message was when the Email displayed a large scale map of our road it showed our correct address but the dot was on the wrong house 50 metres away.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
A frequent clue is when Google asks you to switch on high accuracy geolocation to help you locate goods and services in your area. Your phone's GPS receiver is then constantly reporting your location via your data connection.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I never switch on my phone's location.
To confirm it, when I get those messages about your location, they are always wrong. In fact I commonly show up on the south side of Brisbane.  Over 100 kms away.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I seem to recall turning off location history in my Google account a few years ago. I don't want any of that stuff in a cloud.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I probably should turn mine off...  :whistler: :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
I can understand concerns regarding G tracking users.
But also it can be helpful occasionally.  Was an instance in ACT a while back, young lady left home in a distressed state to go for a drive, didn't come home when expected so worried family contacted authorities who eventually started a search.
She had driven off road down an embankment & by cross referencing mobile phone towers they located her car.

Also believe G uses mobile data when highlighting traffic congestion for navigation instructions.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I like that the Navman I have fitted in my dash uses RDS broadcasts to let me know of traffic conditions. Privacy preserved. :mrgreen:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Mine usually says "Pleasant afternoon at hospital"... I work there, ofc im there often...
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mine usually says "Pleasant afternoon at hospital"... I work there, ofc im there often...

:snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal