i30 Owners Club

I 30 FD diesel wont start.

artrix · 56 · 15077

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok I guess locating a good ecu is on the cards...starting to get to the point beyond my skill level
Only need to borrow one to see if that C1611 clears, I don't think @nzenigma would have one from that late?

Not for the diesel only petrol.

Thinking on this over night, Im reluctant to ignore the water in fuel issue. Twice.!!!! 
Where did you get it? Could it be still there, or there again?
If it was a crap supplier did he also supply diesel bug?
In that case fuel sensors on rail and HP pump could be contaminated. = car will not start.
Also pick up in tank will be clogged

The codes related to steering  could simply be related to long periods of cranking. Have had that happen occasionally.
@nzenigma  I was just thinking , would there be any point removing the supply and return lines at the motor end and hooking up some clear tubing and then run diesel straight from a container? I have run diesel purge like that through one of mine.

WHich sensors are we talking about specifically?

Rail pressure is showing normal  25 - 30 Mpa so I think that sensor is ok, not sure about the pump.

Sensor on the end of the rail. That should be the detection pressure which appears to be correct.
The other one is on to of the  pump.  Overall it seems you have pressure. If no fuel , no pressure, that is as long as all air is purged.

Assume you are dicking around with OP,s car.
I have Wils diesel in the workshop this morning if you want to get  comparative data.
Unfortunately I can't today but I was planning to plug into one of mine and get a snap and answer to question is Yes. I'd like to test your theory on extended crank on one of mine and see if it generates  the same codes. What would be best/safest way to disable start? Remove fuel supply line?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Sorry, just went back to original post, its an FD!!!!  :crazy1:

May have an ECU.

2009 and 2010 are somewhere in shed 2
Has to be series 2, U2 motor.  part number already posted

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok I guess locating a good ecu is on the cards...starting to get to the point beyond my skill level
Only need to borrow one to see if that C1611 clears, I don't think @nzenigma would have one from that late?

Thinking on this over night, Im reluctant to ignore the water in fuel issue. Twice.!!!! 
In that case fuel sensors on rail and HP pump could be contaminated. = car will not start.

The codes related to steering  could simply be related to long periods of cranking. Have had that happen occasionally.
@nzenigma  I was just thinking , would there be any point removing the supply and return lines at the motor end and hooking up some clear tubing and then run diesel straight from a container? I have run diesel purge like that through one of mine.

Rail pressure is showing normal  25 - 30 Mpa so I think that sensor is ok, not sure about the pump.

Sensor on the end of the rail. That should be the detection pressure which appears to be correct.
The other one is on to of the  pump.  Overall it seems you have pressure. If no fuel , no pressure, that is as long as all air is purged.

I have Wils diesel in the workshop this morning if you want to get  comparative data.
Unfortunately I can't today but I was planning to plug into one of mine and get a snap and answer to question is Yes. I'd like to test your theory on extended crank on one of mine and see if it generates  the same codes. What would be best/safest way to disable start? Remove fuel supply line?

That or unplug sensor on fuel rail.

if you read previous, I now remember we are on an FD, so ECU should be available even though they are off the manual CRDI
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

That or unplug sensor on fuel rail.

if you read previous, I now remember we are on an FD, so ECU should be available even though they are off the manual CRDI
Was that a 2011 - 12 model?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sorry, just went back to original post, its an FD!!!!  :crazy1:

May have an ECU.

2009 and 2010 are somewhere in shed 2
Has to be series 2, U2 motor.  part number already posted

look up KMHDB81TLAU081149
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 ? / 2010 so may be out of luck

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@nzenigma

DTC sheet, ignore the boost pressure

C1611 would clear, but always came back after a crank. You may be correct on extended crank, also batter was just about shot, I retried with jumpers and it still returned.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
KMHDB81TLAU081149
No good

391062A713, march 2010

same as what i have. they have different pinouts to the U2

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
KMHD251UMEU139255 check that one. GD 2014 possibly give better data / screenshots only. :winker:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
KMHD251UMEU139255
No

391122A901

Item needed 391162A405

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The data would be similar, cant do a swap with that one.

Our friend can call Mark tomorrow. He has a mobile team and has a full workshop nearby.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I disconnected the fuel line at the filter on mums taxi.  Darn engine started anyway with the residual in the pipe. anyway shut it off then retried and no start. Checked and no pressure generated.

repetitive cranking did not generate any codes on this one.

Target pressure set for start up was 24.5 Mpa

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@tw2005 and @nzenigma appreciate your ongoing attempts to help our members. Awesome!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
 tw2005 and nzenigma I cant believe how much thought you two have put into my issue I appreciate it ..... I had a last minute family day today and have missed all the information shared ...many thanks to tw2005 for the time he spent yesterday he was generous with his time and good company. I will be sourcing a new sensor tomorrow and will get on the the mechanic suggested either in the afternoon or tuesday. The amount of knowledge and goodwill shown on the forum is gratefully received, thanks to both of you.
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yeah, they scrub up OK, those two.

ns
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
tw2005 and nzenigma I cant believe how much thought you two have put into my issue I appreciate it ..... I had a last minute family day today and have missed all the information shared ...many thanks to tw2005 for the time he spent yesterday he was generous with his time and good company. I will be sourcing a new sensor tomorrow and will get on the the mechanic suggested either in the afternoon or tuesday. The amount of knowledge and goodwill shown on the forum is gratefully received, thanks to both of you.

Thanks for the thanks mate  :goodjob2:. Ive been snowed under with appointed tasks  :rolleyes: :whistler:here in Highvale.  Fortunately, the PM route was a useful tool. I'll check in with Mark during the week. Hope its simple. My guess it IS just 'finger trouble".

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
'finger trouble"??? not sure Im get what you mean mate. And your welcome regards the thanks. I have one more idea before I call the mobile guy you recommended, will know by tomorrow. I drew fresh diesel from a seperate  tank this afternoon and got the faintest hint of a fire. Will keep everyone posted, have a good night .
Dave
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:16:12 by artrix »
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
'finger trouble"???
'finger trouble"???  is a term we useful tradesmen and cavalier DIYers used in the electronics and engineering trade etc. That was in a bygone time. :blubber:
Its something that you have done or missed that is causing the trouble.  So, you mentally and physically go back over everything you have done, until you find the missing link. It seems to be IS a lost art. :crazy1:

"I drew fresh diesel from a separate  tank this afternoon and got the faintest hint of a fire."  That is the art of fingering  :mrgreen: :goodjob:
Makes me more confident about the ECU, and ever more suspicious about your fuel and fuel supply.

By the way, not sending you to some tosspot, Mark builds race motors, he is very tech savvy and fair on pricing. Cheers Gary
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:50:38 by nzenigma »

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Ok I get it ....hopefully my finger trouble efforts may bare fruit tomorrow....hopefully.
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
HAZAAR! I have a car that runs at last.   Yesterday I got a stumble when I cranked it after drawing fresh diesel from a seperate container and that got me thinking its got to be fuel related. I raced off to a wrecker or two found a diesel I30 that still had the complete fuel filter housing and filter attached to the firewall, bought it and this morning I swapped mine over for it.  After getting it primed it cranked like it had before then it stumbled and I primed it again cranked it and it stumbles again and i thought "Im on to something here" I found some Start ya Bastard and gave it a spray and low and behold after some hesitation and more priming it started!  I drove it around for half an hour stopped it and started it twice and all seems ok. I must be the filter housing drawing in air but its still strange that it stopped dead 2 weeks ago after only being parked for less than 10 minutes. I have owned a far few diesel 4wd's in my time and I have never had an issue changing fuel filters and after pulling it off and refitting it I can only assume there is something wrong with the housing itself or the fuel lines feeding it causing an air leak, and a serious one.
I parked it for four hours came back tonight and it started first kick so hopefully Im good.....will see after it sits all night. At least I know its not an ECU or Injector issue...that would have been financially painful at the moment.
Anyway thanks all for your help its been very appreciated , especially tw2005 and nzenigma.
BLOODY CARS !!! lol thanks everyone will post and update in a couple of days.
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ripper Dave  :goodjob:

Gerard gave me the good news   :phone1: :phone1: :phone1: :phone1: :phone1: en-route to the Sunny Coast.,. Great :goodjob:

My gut feeling and the finger told me it remained a fuel problem. But had ignored the filter housing because that has only been an immediate problem (passed on by a few members).

Brilliant outcome achieved by you and Gerard   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Best Gary

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
There has been few reported cases here, where the fuel filter housing has been broken. I talked to one service manager some time ago and he told me that when they inspected one broken unit, they found out that the fuel heater element had cracked and it sucked air from the outside causing issues.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
There has been few reported cases here, where the fuel filter housing has been broken. I talked to one service manager some time ago and he told me that when they inspected one broken unit, they found out that the fuel heater element had cracked and it sucked air from the outside causing issues.

Thanks sundiz. The fault is now embedded in my memory bank.  :goodjob2:
I read your above comment, then looked to the left and thought a cracked element is the least of this guy's problems.  keep that snow shovel handy.  :mrgreen:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
True, It's something I mentioned to Dave that I'd heard of cracked housings and also when the old man had his they reckoned his was sucking air. What's some what weird is I primed that cct and it built pressure, and again whilst we cranked and still no life.  There must have been enough air bubbles to affect it.  I think removing the lines and subbing with clear tubing may have been interesting to see.

Top job Dave sticking with it though but also an excellent case study to learn from :goodjob2:

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
True, It's something I mentioned to Dave that I'd heard of cracked housings and also when the old man had his they reckoned his was sucking air. What's some what weird is I primed that cct and it built pressure, and again whilst we cranked and still no life.  There must have been enough air bubbles to affect it.  I think removing the lines and subbing with clear tubing may have been interesting to see.

Top job Dave sticking with it though but also an excellent case study to learn from :goodjob2:

Thanks Gerard
  • I30 turbo diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal