i30 Owners Club

Racechip Pro Settings

Catman1 · 39 · 24875

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hope this is in the right place, went to tack on to one of the old threads and it told me to consider starting a new one.

Anyway, just wondering how many owners that are running a Racechip Pro have played with the settings?
I had the opportunity in the past week to adjust the settings from the factory B-1 setting to D-1 setting as refered to as the first performance setting in the instruction manual.
Well it does make another noticeable difference. First thing I noticed was from cold start up and idle the engine was quieter and smoother. I let it idle / warm up (as I have alway done with turbo vehicles I have owned) and went for a spin around the block.
I noticed the engine now feels a lot stronger in the 1700 to 2500 rpm range (I rarely rev past 3000, no need too) and alot less gear changes needed around suburban streets. 2nd gear corners are now easily done in 3rd gear and pulls hard out of the corners. Have travelled about 500k's now with this setting and from full the fuel gauge is now sitting at half way. About exactly the same as with the previous setting.

If others could share what setting they are running and results would be appreciated. Or PM would be ok also.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi & 2012 i30 Premium 1.8 nu

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Catman 1,

I did not have a racechip pro but had another form of tunning chip installed in my i30CRDi up until today when it got written off (thankfully the tow truck driver is a mate of my old mans and took it out for me before it went to insuranc company)

Most of these chips including mine and yours have multiple setting which will adjust when the power upgrade will take effect, ie acceleration, high speeds  mid-high ect or linear through out all.

When changed my setting to have maximum perfomance at mid-high speeds ( dont need the acceleration  in the front wheel drive with that much torque) I, like you found that it was smoother at idle as well, although i found it smelt like it was running allot richer on start up then previously. Might just be me but i also felt at this setting it boosted a little earlier and higher and the ultraguage reflected this.

again i know my chip is different but this is what i got from mine.

I also played around at times with the max performance at high speeds setting and found that this significantly reduced the economy!!!  Performanec wise though it made overtaking on highways even more exciting then ever.. you could especially noticed going from 100km/h up!!!

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
ryane,
Sorry to hear about the car mate, read your post. As long as you are ok that the main thing.

Sounds like very similar to what I found. Heavier exhaust smell on start up also. I too reckon the power comes on earlier. I do a lot of highway and country road driving and for me the ability to overtake at short notice just by putting my foot down and not having to change back a gear is where I see the main benefit of the current setting I have. Starts pulling hard from 85 - 90 kph in 6th gear and doing 100 before you know it.

I may run this setting for a few weeks before trying to adjust the other switch which controls the duration (in the rev range) according to the manual, but I dont really think there will be a need to rev and have power available at a higher rev range.
Thanks for your input.

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Thanks mate,

Let me know how you go with that other switch. My chip also had one in the form of a rotating dial. Always wanted to try it out but never got around to it.

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Will do.
Racechip has 2 dials 1 for power & 1 for duration of power, took me a minute to try and understand what they meant at first. Must be the english translation. I have found bugger all in relation to people playing with tuning setting for i30's on the net, hence why I posted here. (plenty of info on other makes and models).

Good to here you are looking at GD for next car, the wife's GD Premium is great to drive, luv it, just not a diesel and miss the torque of mine.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I have it on my GD on standard settings for almost a year now and over 10,000km. I tried level 1 and level 2 settings when I got it but find it too responsive and I worry about my car in the long run. I was quite happy with standard setting so I didn't go into it too much. It did also reduce fuel consumption by about 1L/100km which I was quite happy about.

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
rickai,
Thanks for sharing the info. I know what you mean about how responsive the engine becomes. Very easy to go over the limit in 60 & 80kph zones if your not careful. I too was happy with standard setting for nearly a year, but it got the better of me and had to try the next setting. Will see how it goes for a few weeks.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Keep us updated yea? I might give it some tweak after my service next week and see how it goes. I too kind of got bored of the factory settings.  :snigger:

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
My RaceChip Pro is officially 1 day old! It's set to Dial 1 - 0, Dial 2 - 1. It's just at half setting and I already think it's too much. Car feels a lot more peppier and stronger across the whole rev range.
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I think I'll refit my tuning chip :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
jfdelacruz,

Was that the setting it was on when it came out of the box or did you adjust it before fitting. As mentioned mine was on B - 1, maybe they changed the dials when the new model Racechip Pro was released, is yours metal case or the plastic case?

FYI, just did 512km trip on freeway & open country roads using cruise control for most of it, fuel gauge now sitting right on halfway. Filled to top again (25.52lts) by my cals = 4.98lts / 100k, plenty good enough for me considering how well she goes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 22:50:46 by Catman1 »

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Catman - the default setting was also B-1 on mine. Mine is the old style RaceChip Pro (metal casing). I just adjusted it till the feel was enough for me. It feels to powerful at times, to be honest.

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just completed 2nd round trip to central NSW, racechip still on D - 1 setting. Engine feeling so sweet and strong. I enjoyed the extra torque a bit more during this trip & used cruise control for most of it again. Got 5.1 lt / 100km this time round. Still very happy with consumption, twice as good as some of the other cars I use to do the same trip in.

Anyone else notice higher consumption when using cruise control?

I am thinking going to D - 2 setting is going to be a bit over the top based on the current performance from D - 1. I may try B - 2 setting next & see what the results are. Man I am really enjoying the drivability of this 1.6lt oil burner with this chip on it, both around town and on the highway.

Anyone else want to share some settings info?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds great! Never had a tuning box or ECU chip, so can't comment on that. :cool:

Cruise will generally use more fuel on hilly roads than a prudent driver because it tends to be more aggressive with the accelerator up hills to keep the speed. A prudent driver would be more gradual.

Less of an adverse effect on flat areas and in some such cases might save a bit of fuel by avoiding unnecessary fluctuations.  :razz: 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Just completed 2nd round trip to central NSW, racechip still on D - 1 setting. Engine feeling so sweet and strong. I enjoyed the extra torque a bit more during this trip & used cruise control for most of it again. Got 5.1 lt / 100km this time round. Still very happy with consumption, twice as good as some of the other cars I use to do the same trip in.

Anyone else notice higher consumption when using cruise control?

I am thinking going to D - 2 setting is going to be a bit over the top based on the current performance from D - 1. I may try B - 2 setting next & see what the results are. Man I am really enjoying the drivability of this 1.6lt oil burner with this chip on it, both around town and on the highway.

Anyone else want to share some settings info?

I had a play with D2, i think it feels better than D1. The acceleration seems more spread out. I also notice the performance not as good during cold start. But once it gets normal temperature, it's quite smooth. Does that happen to you too?

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have had my Race Chip Pro for 3 years now. I have been really happy with it.

I opened the case just now (for the first time) and changed the settings from default B1 to D1. It will be interesting to feel if there is any noticeable difference when I next use the car.

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Rickai,
Do you run that D - 2 setting all the time or put it back to standard? Running on D - 1 setting, I did not notice any difference when cold, but I usually let the car idle up 2 to 3 mins before driving and then drive steady till temp gauge is at normal operating temp. I use to run a Superchips Tuner on my F350 with 7.3lt V8 Powerstroke diesel and it use to de-rate the engine when cold until it reached operating temperature, wonder if Racechip does similar thing, I may send them an email & ask.

I have just set it to C - 2 for my next trip out west, will see how it goes. Was going to try B - 2 but really enjoying the performance.

Paolo5, you will notice the difference between B - 1 & D - 1.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
I just changed from Level (D1) 1 to Level 2 (E2). Damn this car's powerful!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
BANG   :'( :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
BANG BANG give me more bang. "horsepower doesn't hurt engines, RPM hurts engines".

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
Hi folks, finally after 18 months of sitting on my bum thinking should I chip the FD diesel......ordered one last Thursday and it turned up  yesterday...stupid me should have done it when the dollar was heaps better.

I must say thanks for the many discussions on this topic as it is not an easy decision when you are a novice with slight twinkle in the eye to make improvements that only the owner can appreciate, so when the son returns from yet another road trip (2,500 km ) I shall do the deed and hopefully junior won't do an F1 and try to break speed records.

I bought the race chip Pro, so hopefully I will share the same successes of others
  • 2012 FD i30 SLX 1.6 lt CRDi,2012 FD i30 SLX 2.0 SLX,2014 GD I30 Premium CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good luck with it! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Hampster,

You won't be dissappointed. I'd leave it on standard settings for a while like I did till I got use to driving it, just to judge the changes before playing with the settings. I am currently running C - 2 which I find better than D - 1 for the type of driving I do. Like Rickai mentioned I find the 2 setting gives the power a more spread out feeling over the rev range. D - 1 was fun but I find C - 2 a lot more driveable & better on fuel & still plenty of punch.
I completely understand people just leaving the engine standard, they are awesome, I personally like a little bit more spirit in a car & the Racechip certainly gives it that.
Let us know how your thoughts after you get it fitted.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Keith,

Racechip PRO, the standard Racechip doesn't let you change the settings. Not sure if anyone out there is using the Racechip Pro2 or Ultimate yet either. Mine is just the Racechip Pro (metal enclosure type).

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just completed 2nd trip out west on C - 2 setting, fuel consumption still sitting round 5.1 per 100km. This setting really suits cruising on the open road IMO. Good on fuel and still plenty of punch for overtaking and hills. Also found it not as harsh when using cruise control, the power was not as on & off (surging feeling) as it was on the D - 1 setting.
Will try the D - 2 setting on the next trip just to compare, but expect it will be a bit heavier on fuel for the same result.

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
FYI

I have recently been exchanging some emails with RaceChip Tech people to find more info in regard to settings. A bit seems to get lost in translation sometimes, they believe that it depends on the individual vehicle as to what performance increase wil be obtained (nothing new). However from the info obtained the standard B - 1 setting (PRO 1 as shipped) is around 17 to 18% increase. To achieve near the claimed 30% performance increase one would have to adjust to the D - 1 or D - 2 settings.

Just though I would share.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have had my Race Chip Pro for 3 years now. I have been really happy with it.

I opened the case just now (for the first time) and changed the settings from default B1 to D1. It will be interesting to feel if there is any noticeable difference when I next use the car.

I don't get to drive my diesel that much now....but can finally comment on the seat-of-the-pants impressions on changing the settings on my Racechip pro from B1 (standard factory settings) to D1.

On the open road, the D1 setting makes the power/torque/speed come on hard and strong...more ragged...moreso than when at B1. At B1 the increase in power/torque/speed  is more fluid and linear.  D1 has the Scangauge setting (l/100km) sit a tad higher too. Normally it sits between 4.6 and 4.7 and has done for years now. At D1 it is at 4.8, occasionally dipping to 4.7l/100km.

It is probably all in my mind but I feel that the durability of the engine might be compromised a fair bit more at D1. It feels more stressed.

I might try C1 next, as I definitely preferred things the way that they were at B1.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
BANG BANG give me more bang. "horsepower doesn't hurt engines, RPM hurts engines".
depends how much hp we are talking about. but just be careful with those adjustable tuning box's. as with diesel run them to rich & it's same as petrol running lean. I've never used a tuning box so can't help.
but have sen the effects bulk HP has on parts

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal