i30 Owners Club

Breaking in 2019 i30 N-line/SR Petrol

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi all

I wasn’t sure if I should add this to my other post (N-line/SR manual vs auto) or just start a new thread. I decided to start a new one as it is a little more specific. Happy to move or relocate it if it’s better off somewhere else.
My questions are around breaking in a new 2019 i30 N-line (manual) 1.6t, which I will hopefully take delivery of in 1-2 weeks. I know there are many views on this with great division. I wish to follow the owner’s manual on this one. I can’t find a N-line/SR owner’s manual online but have my manual from my current car which belongs to a 2014 i30 1.8 petrol. I was wondering if those of you who have a N-line/SR could perhaps chime in if the break in procedure differs in your manuals. I’m guessing they are probably the same? Interestingly, after searching some i30N forums I found the procedure as stated in their manual to be very similar except for the rpm limits. They are asked to keep their rpm below 3000. Both procedures are below:

2014 Hyundai i30 1.8
Follow for first 1000km (600miles):
-   Do not race the engine.
-   Whilst driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
-   Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
-   Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
-   Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km) of operation.

i30N
Pretty much the same except for rpm limits are different:
-   While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) within 3,000 rpm.

Did anyone keep the rpm for their N-line/SR below 3000 as well?

I was also wondering, for those of you who have manual transmissions – did you struggle to keep the car above 2000rpm? I was keeping an eye on my current cars rpm while driving yesterday and this was fairly difficult. On take-off the clutch engages at about 1500rpm and while driving around various car parks (including my multi-story at work) it is difficult to go fast enough in 1st gear to sit above 2000rpm. I know the lower limit is to avoid lugging the engine, but is 2000rpm really the point at which the engine lugs?

Thanks all!
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Robbo,

I know and understand that you are excited, but don't stress.

I've had around 34 cars of which more than 20 were brand new. I haven't run in a car yet. I don't tend to thrash engines or let them labour at any stage during ownership.  I am a tad more gentle on them for the first 1000 kilometres or two though. Basically,  just drive it normally with no hard revving whem cold and ensure it doesn't labour in a higher gear. Ignore the 2000 rpm lower limit. You definitely won't need to exceed the 4000 upper limit in normal driving.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Hi Robbo,

Just counted that iv'e had 25 new cars(lol all that depreciation  :blubber:) and can only say that Dazzler has it spot on.

Only thing that I would add is not to give it the beans with a turbo engine until it is fully up to temp, if you have given it a good thrashing let it cool down before turning it off so as the oil in the engine and turbo has returned to normal.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks @Dazzler - I am certainly a little excited! wow - that is a lot of cars! i've owned 4 and only one has been new so far (2 when i get the N-line).
4000 rpm is definitely high enough for everyday driving and it almost feels too high for the first 1000km! I might try keep it under 3000 rpm and take it up to 4000 here there.

That's a good point @Myowni30! I was actually thinking about this before. Do you only have to cool it down after giving it a bit of boot or always. I remember the days that all turbos needed to cool down before switching off. So many cars for you as well! You and Dazzler could open up a car yard between you!
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
They do a bit of a run in in factory now before the engines go in the cars i heard. For the first 1000km service or 1500km they don't even change the oil anymore, because they don't use run in oil anymore.
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As mentioned just drive it easy for the first 1500kms, changing the oil on the 1500 return service is something I would always do.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I've been wondering if i should do an oil change at the 1500km service. Again, seems to be two camps of thought on this one  :crazy2:

I guess it can't hurt and can only be of some benefit!
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Drive it normally.
Always driven cars from new how it was going to be driven.
Let it warm up, then, as you would.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal