i30 Owners Club

New Australian i30

Doggie 1 · 43 · 10991

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I received a call today from a dealership asking me if I'd like to go in and have a look at the new i30 as they have just received two, which are yet to pre-delivered and will be used for sales training prior to their release. Sorry, no photos but we've seen them before and these cars were still covered in all their shipping plastic anyway.
There was a diesel auto Premium in white and a petrol manual Elite in dark grey.
We were correct in predicting that the new model variants for Australia are Active, Elite & Premium.
So here is what I saw and what I can remember.
Looking at the Premium first, as this was the only car which was unlocked, it comes as standard with large colour screen/satnav/rear camera & sunroof, chrome mouldings along the doors beneath the glass, 17" alloy wheels with fake chrome inserts (much like the current SR), rear parking sensors only (no front), 45 profile Hankook tyres, proximity key and under-floor storage in the rear. It also has a leather steering wheel which is quite poor quality and similar to what came on my SLX (which I had re-trimmed). It's called leather but feels and looks more like plastic. This car also had an electric park brake.
The Premium diesel only comes in automatic, so if you want leather & sunroof you've got the six speed auto.
The Elite on the other hand, comes with the large colour screen/satnav/rear camera as standard also, but no leather, no sunroof, 16" alloy wheels with higher profile tyres (which to me look better - no fake chrome inserts  :)), ordinary key, etc. I forget to check if it had electric park brake but I'm thinking possibly not.  :undecided:
The rear view camera on both models is hidden and is incorporated in the Hyundai badge on the tailgate, which flips over to reveal the camera when reverse gear is selected. Very nifty.
From the sales info he had there, it stated that the new cars have received extra sound-proofing in the doors over the previous model.
Approximate prices are $32500 plus ORC for the Premium diesel auto, $27000 plus ORC for the Elite diesel manual.
I didn't get any information on the Active.
Both cars still have poor quality carpet which feels like cardboard.
Overall though, I was impressed with the overall look of them, the doors close with a much more solid-sounding "thump" than the current model and the interior quality felt better in the new car.
One thing I noticed that I haven't noticed in the photos, is that the centre console has holes in each side of it which to me looked unfinished, but that is apparently how they are.
He said that once they're pre-delivered he'll give me a call and I can have a drive.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks very much Dave .. all good info  :goodjob: :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Thanks for that Dave. Did they have the fuel figures
displayed on the windscreen?
Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks for that Dave. Did they have the fuel figures
displayed on the windscreen?
Russ

They did but I can't say I looked much at them - I was being talked to the whole time.
I do think that the diesel auto was 5.6 overall though if my recall is any good.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I forgot -  xenon lights in the Premium too  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob: Sounds good Dave (mind you, you would want all the bells and whistles for those $$) Over 35K drive away  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@Dazz,

I'm not sure of the current model pricing, but that sounds awfully expensive to me. I assume that's a petrol model  :exclaim:  :scared:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

@Dazz,

I'm not sure of the current model pricing, but that sounds awfully expensive to me. I assume that's a petrol model  :exclaim:  :scared:

No, it's diesel auto Premium.

I keep remembering things I'd forgotten.
The new model i30s are coming into Australia with heated front seats currently, but this will only be for the first three months, after which that feature will no longer be available.
It would be a good feature in some parts of Australia, I would imagine, like Tasmania.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:07:35 by db08 »
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The new model i30s are coming into Australia with heated front seats currently, but this will only be for the first three months, after which that feature will no longer be available.
What a bummer. Heated seats for 3 months then back to the plain old cold seats. What kind of feature is that? :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've been giving this quite a bit of thought over the last twenty four hours.
Firstly, I must say that I haven't decided yet whether to buy the new model i30 or keep my old one, but I am seriously considering it.
It is probably an opportune time for me because not only has my i30 just clicked over 128,000 kms, but I am also going to have an '06 MC Accent to trade as well because my daughter has decided not to drive her boyfriend's car or mine and has ordered a Mazda 3 for herself in her own right.
I love the diesel of my current car and I also really enjoy driving a manual (mine is a five speed) and was looking forward to having a six speed manual to enjoy every day.
But as most of you know, I had my car re-trimmed in leather after I bought it and also had a sunroof fitted but the only model that comes with these features in the new model is the Premium, so my initial thoughts were that I would get that.
BUT. you can only buy the Premium with a six speed auto - no manual available.
If I bought the Elite I could get a manual diesel, but I would then have to fit the leather & sunroof after-market if I chose to.
In all honesty, to me the leather is important but the sunroof not so much.
So that would cost me another $3000 or so to have the leather fitted, but then I'm not paying for the auto....... :confused: :confused: :confused:
But then I got to thinking.......... :rolleyes: Would I enjoy having the auto, given that it's a six speed now?
One other point I'm not over-joyed about on the Premium is the fact that they have fake chrome on the wheels, but then they are 17" as opposed to the 16" on the Elite.
Decisions, decisions...........
I might have to call my mum  :lol:
I'll have to go and have a drive of the auto I guess and see what I think of it before I can make an informed decision. I like manuals though and I like the economy of them and I like the fact that they are $2000 cheaper.
I really wish that Hyundai Australia would give the buyers the choice of what mechanical specification they want in any spec level.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dave .. If I decided to go back to an i30 Diesel (or even the i40) I am going to be in the same boat forgoing some economy for features or some features for economy (and I can't call my mum) God bless her  :blubber:

My Hybrid doesn't have heating in the leather seats  :confused: But not really a problem as the car is always garaged at night... :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Goodness, Dazz, don't throw the i40 into the mix or I'll have to go and book in for therapy.
I'm confused enough as it is.
I love the i40 (sedan) but am thinking that I will go for i30 because (a) it got here first, (b) it's cheaper and (c) I'm quite happy with the size of what I've got...... :whistler:
 :needhelp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Goodness, Dazz, don't throw the i40 into the mix or I'll have to go and book in for therapy.
I love the i40 (sedan) but am thinking that I will go for i30 because (a) it got here first, (b) it's cheaper and (c) I'm quite happy with the size of what I've got...... :whistler:

We all have our pet likes and dislikes.

My previous i30 had leather faced seats and I hated them with a passion. Too cold when you got in the car in winter, too sweaty in the summer and too slip & slidy. After only 13000 miles the front seats looked 10 years old they were so crumpled and creased. The new i30 in the UK has high quality cloth seats that I find perfect.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

We all have our pet likes and dislikes.

My previous i30 had leather faced seats and I hated them with a passion. Too cold when you got in the car in winter, too sweaty in the summer and too slip & slidy. After only 13000 miles the front seats looked 10 years old they were so crumpled and creased. The new i30 in the UK has high quality cloth seats that I find perfect.

I wasn't able to look closely at the cloth in the Elite model because it was locked but I hope they have improved it greatly because I found the cloth in the current model to be of poor quality (as are the carpets).
And I can't comment on the quality of the leather that Hyundai uses either in the Premium.
But I do love leather because I find it the opposite to you - warm in winter and cool in summer and providing you "feed" it with the correct leather nourishments, it stays looking good and feeling supple for years.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The leather in the Hy might just be bonded leather, leather glued to pvc, not good. Your seats are probably better, as they were fitted aftermarket. Alan's observations are generally very detailed neutral and accurate.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am surprised you cane the quality of the seat material they use in the SLX and most of the CW's Dave? I reckon the SX hatch upholstery is crappy but I like the SLX style upholstery which is also in the base CW ..

My Hybrid leather seats make it look upmarket and are wearing well but I can take them or leave them..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I can't comment on the new model's cloth because I haven't tried it, but I did think that the cloth in my SLX when I bought it wasn't great - just my opinion and no offence meant  :)
Just as I find the carpets to be pretty poor too and one area where Hyundai could make improvements.
As Alan said, we all have our likes and dislikes which doesn't make us right or wrong - it just makes us different. I didn't like the uphostery in the old model but I accept that others do.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I agree about the carpet  :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I used to own a 1979 Volvo many moons ago and the quality of the carpet in that was superb. That was 33 years ago.
I know that cars are and have to be built down to a price, but surely in Korea they can find some nice quality carpets  :lol: without breaking the bank too much.
I think that Hyundai have come an awful long way in the last few years and I'm a huge fan, but that doesn't mean that there aren't areas that could be improved upon.
And things such as carpets aren't a huge cost item really in the whole scheme of things but can make a huge difference to the feel and ambience of a car's interior.

• Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Geez, an ex cop and a Volvo driver???   :Shocked:

I might have to reconsider meeting up with you when you pick up your Jag.....  :p

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:rofl: :rofl:
I've had two in the past actually, a '79 GL manual and a '79 GLE V6 auto.
They were good cars and under-rated IMHO.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Volvo drivers think they own the road don't they :exclaim: but then, who'd argue with an (ex) cop  :mrgreen:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I wouldn't be spreading that sort of info around, Dave....people will get the wrong idea about you....  :winker:

By the way, you don't have a white bowls hat sitting on the rear parcel shelf do you?  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I wouldn't be spreading that sort of info around, Dave....people will get the wrong idea about you....  :winker:

By the way, you don't have a white bowls hat sitting on the rear parcel shelf do you?  :whistler:

No, I wear mine  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Volvo drivers think they own the road don't they :exclaim:

No.
They do own the road  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Okay, I'm getting scared now.... :scared:

And he's headed your way Rusty  :scared:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And probably heading home via your way, Phil....BE AFRAID!   :snigger:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
And probably heading home via your way, Phil....BE AFRAID!   :snigger:

Yikes, never thought of that, too busy laughing at your misfortune  :faint:

Only joking db08  :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I have one of these stickers on the back of my motorcycle....  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal