i30 Owners Club

Brake Light Switch Fault

i30premy · 78 · 30323

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I presume that was after you spun out, I thought you'd given up rally driving  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I presume that was after you spun out, I thought you'd given up rally driving  :mrgreen:
:rofl: :rofl:
NO. I had my wife and daughter with me. I was stopped at a red light in Nambour and the ESP light came on. So I drove till I found a safe spot to pull up (the car park of the Big Pineapple) and my wife got out and checked the brake lights. They worked, so I turned off the motor and restarted it. All good. Drove home.

Safely. :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hope it doesn't recur.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hope it doesn't recur.  :neutral:
It happens every couple of months or so and has been for at least two years.
My local dealer will replace it whenever I'm ready. I have a 60,000 klm service due in about 3,000 so I might go to them for one service and get everything else checked over too.

Offline Spy007

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
Isn't there also another problem with this switch which manifests itself as the ESP light coming on?

Yeah, that link by i30premy kinda confirms it...

the fault - which, adding to the confusion, shows up as a stability control warning light

Yes Had mine replaced took all of 30 min and fixed.

Esp Light would come on and stay on.
  • 2010 i30 2l

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I remember the ESP light coming on on my old i30 but I didn't worry about it and it went off again.  :undecided:

ESP light came on around 3-4 times in a week after hitting 10,000K on i30 Crdi 2010.
No other problems though such as engine power loss or break light issues like other have noticed.
Went to the dealer. He replaced break light switch no questions asked. have done 11,500K and fingers
crossed has not come up still.
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Is this same brake-light switch used in any other make or Hy model & do they have the same issues?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is this same brake-light switch used in any other make or Hy model & do they have the same issues?

I've heard that the xg30, Santa Fe and possibly the i20 may have issues.

fault code 1501????
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Good news rather than great really.
Great news would have been an acceptance by Hyundai early on, as a perported Quality car manufacturer, and a re-call issued there & then, instead of behaving like a 3rd world car manufacturer & burying their heads in the sand.

I wait for my notification... but I bet this site comes up with an "affected serial number" list before Hyundai send me a letter....

ouri30
Not certain where to put this as there are so many threads with reference to the fault, but decided to add it here.

Today I received a phone call from dealer asking if I still had our (original) i30 FD.  They have been sent a list of vehicles from Hy Au that have not had a replacement switch fitted and are arranging to have it replaced.  There was also another safety recall, namely tensioning of the steering column and that will be done at the same time.

I'm taking the vehicle in tomorrow.  The vehicle is out of warranty, so it looks like a serious attempt to follow up on the recall of all affected vehicles, not just those under warranty.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- useful info Bob - thanks :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Not certain where to put this as there are so many threads with reference to the fault, but decided to add it here.

Today I received a phone call from dealer asking if I still had our (original) i30 FD.  They have been sent a list of vehicles from Hy Au that have not had a replacement switch fitted and are arranging to have it replaced.  There was also another safety recall, namely tensioning of the steering column and that will be done at the same time.

I'm taking the vehicle in tomorrow.  The vehicle is out of warranty, so it looks like a serious attempt to follow up on the recall of all affected vehicles, not just those under warranty.

I've heard nothing again as usual  :disapp:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ironically, I've had no correspondence from Hy Oz about this either. The swithch was replaced without question as a "recall" during my 60,000 service a week or so ago but I've never had a recall notice despite my e-mail and home adresses and phone numbers aall being unchanged.

ouri30
Ironically, I've had no correspondence from Hy Oz about this either. The swithch was replaced without question as a "recall" during my 60,000 service a week or so ago but I've never had a recall notice despite my e-mail and home adresses and phone numbers aall being unchanged.

We received recall via email for the i20 and the ix35  (they have our email on record for these two vehicles).  The i30 FD was via a phone call from the dealer.  This could have resulted from polite enquiries by me over past months and a quiet conversation at local sport on the weekend with a senior mechanic at the dealership who said he would look into it.  I pride myself on my personal and polite approach when negotiating and dealing with people - it's part of my job. It sometimes brings about results.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

We received recall via email for the i20 and the ix35  (they have our email on record for these two vehicles).  The i30 FD was via a phone call from the dealer.  This could have resulted from polite enquiries by me over past months and a quiet conversation at local sport on the weekend with a senior mechanic at the dealership who said he would look into it.  I pride myself on my personal and polite approach when negotiating and dealing with people - it's part of my job. It sometimes brings about results.
My career has been the same and neeed the same skills. My family continues to be amazed at what I can get service people to do for us if we have a problem.
I wasn't complaining about Hyundai. Quite the opposite where my local dealer is concerned. I'm just puzzled as to why I never received a recall notice.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

My career has been the same and neeed the same skills. My family continues to be amazed at what I can get service people to do for us if we have a problem.
I wasn't complaining about Hyundai. Quite the opposite where my local dealer is concerned. I'm just puzzled as to why I never received a recall notice.

I thought you might respond  to that post Trev..

I'm the same (a bit of tact combined with a bit of persistence goes a long way)  :winker:

I find a little qualified praise before the event works wonders..  "I thought I would get you guys to look at this issue for me, as I know how thorough and effective you have been in the past"  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I never received any mail or email notification of the recall either.  :undecided:
But they did mention it when I enquired about booking my car in for it's 60,000k service.

I'm the same (a bit of tact combined with a bit of persistence goes a long way)  :winker:

Works for me too....  :whistler:  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal