i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30, Elantra recalled for power-steering fix

pidim · 63 · 18860

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hehe - I do that constantly... it doesn't work the voices still talk to me... unfortunately I can't shut the voices up... that would be murder and I would have hide things.   :rofl:

I modified the head butt one to be  three knocks on the head... should be attached...
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hehe - I do that constantly... it doesn't work the voices still talk to me... unfortunately I can't shut the voices up... that would be murder and I would have hide things.   :rofl:

I modified the head butt one to be  three knocks on the head... should be attached...
I'll add it!  :goodjob:

Done  :head_knock:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sswain5775

• 1st Gear
Having this issue with my 2009 i30 however the vin is outside the range listed on the recall notice. Can anyone advise if they have had the same issue and if Hyundai still fixed it? Car is only just outside the 5 year warranty period. HELP!
  • 2009 i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Having this issue with my 2009 i30 however the vin is outside the range listed on the recall notice. Can anyone advise if they have had the same issue and if Hyundai still fixed it? Car is only just outside the 5 year warranty period. HELP!

'This issue' being failure at speed? and/or non-straight tracking at speed?; or failure from startup? I am assuming the former - as the latter seems to be rarer... but all three have been mentioned in the topic.   Just thought I would ask.   Can't advise in regards to warranty, as I still have warranty just.  However...

First - not that I am condoning unroadworthy vehicles - AFAIK if the vehicle is judged unsafe... the service center may not be allowed to let you drive it until fixed.  So you may want to establish what action is likely (covered repair vs. you pay for it) before taking it in to be looked at.

In any event, unless you get a response from someone in a similar situation regards VIN range, issue and warranty expired, I would suggest that you contact Hyundai Australia (see here) - maybe via. PM on facebook or probably quicker ringing iCare - explaining your car has problem(s) with the EPS, you heard about the recall but it is outside the VIN range & the warranty recently expired (I am assuming the last few months).   And you are wondering what can be done.  Maybe you will get lucky and get Doggie 1's 'lovely lady' (see here).   I would like to think you would get some assistance via. that route...

Being that, although you are outside the official/public recall (i.e. govt. notified), there *might* be a wider internal recall which would explain my experience I posted about earlier (I am not sure mine being in warranty was relevant to them doing the recall check & update - just happened to be during a warranty check for another issue) - so you might already be 'covered'.   Failing that, the fact you have contacted them with a similar/same failure as the recall, though you are outside the stated ranges, and the warranty has only just expired may mean they will decided to 'come to the party'.

I suspect what has happened is:
* There has been a spike of failures (possibly triggered by age/distance/wear related) in a production run - covered by the VIN range - so an official recall has been issued for it.
* Mean while other failures have occurred in newer i30, fixed under warranty, but not enough to warrant further official recall (not yet at least).
* However Hyundai is taking preventative (and/or repair) action at service - and many of those services will be 'mandatory' services to keep the 5y/Unlimited warranty valid... meaning they will get to see most in the next 6-12 months.  Leaving only those whose warranty expires before their next service is due (which, of course, includes the near 4 month gap between end of April and the recall date) which may be missed (if not brought in for service).

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:32:58 by ibrokeit »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wlcome01:   :whsaid:

Hopefully if you get the right people and ask nicely they will help you. If not, you might have to then escalate to a heavier hand. Keep in touch, we are a friendly and helpful bunch on here.  :cool:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I wonder how long it will be before I get notified by Hyundai about this recall...  :undecided:

Got a letter in the mail yesterday...  :goodjob:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Soooo about a week  :whistler:  :lol:

Cool - nice to see what they are saying (or not saying).

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
BTW - old news (US EPS recall) but it seems to describe more what the issue is than other sources - though maybe someone already linked it elsewhere...

:link: 2008-2010 Hyundai Elantra, 2009-2010 Elantra Touring Recalled For Power Steering Failure

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wonder how long it will be before I get notified by Hyundai about this recall...  :undecided:

Got a letter in the mail yesterday...  :goodjob:

Gee! Might have kept the old CW if I thought they would acknowledge the steering issue (not that we had it) but always in the back of my mind. :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Better not tell Trish, Daz...  :whistler:  :rofl:

True, although I think she likes the Tourer just as much now.  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I just rang my Hyundai dealer to see if my car is affected. Mine is a 31-5-2010 delivered vehicle.

It IS affected. I was told that the inspection takes 2 hours and if parts need to be changed I should allow half a day.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'd be pretty p'd of f I was one of the poor bu**ers that had to pay for a steering repair before this fix /TSB was announced!.  :twisted:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'd be pretty p'd of f I was one of the poor bu**ers that had to pay for a steering repair before this fix /TSB was announced!.  :twisted:

You bet!!!

I have my car booked in for inspection next Wednesday.

I wonder what the outcome will be in my car's case...there isn't even a hint of a problem that I have been able to notice...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:fingers:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Ruby was checked today, took about 2.5 hrs. Was working fine b4 check and is still fine after check. No charge of course, the same can't be said for the passengers door handle $130 to fix it, silver coating split and sharp.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Ruby was checked today, took about 2.5 hrs. Was working fine b4 check and is still fine after check. No charge of course, the same can't be said for the passengers door handle $130 to fix it, silver coating split and sharp.

Hi Phil,
Was any computer program update or hardware exchange done...or was all ok?

I am wondering what they could do to check that would take 2.5 hrs to complete?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Why isn't the handle a warranty fix! I would screech long and hard about paying for that.  :fum:

Even if it's the car out of warranty think it should still be done as a good will gesture (Faulty material - known fault)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Apparently, the computer has to be uninstalled in order to "reload" it. I wasn't present when collecting the car. Not aware of any hardware replacements.

The door handle issue is out of warranty and we did not have the 60k service performed by Hy, so I guess their goodwill has evaporated. The handle had to be shipped up from town, so that's how the cookie crumbled I guess. Not in the mood for arguments with them, I need Craig or someone "nasty" to handle 'em.  :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
Rick is your man. :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I will talk to the service manager at Hyundai Wyong about this. I am curious about what they will do to my car.

I will report back after Wednesday of next week....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 00:21:59 by Paolo5 »

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When I dropped my car off at Hyundai Wyong, I was asked if I was going to wait for it. I asked if it could be done straight away....and it was. It literally took only 20 minutes! The ECU was re-flashed and that was it.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
When I dropped my car off at Hyundai Wyong, I was asked if I was going to wait for it. I asked if it could be done straight away....and it was. It literally took only 20 minutes! The ECU was re-flashed and that was it.

Nice!

I am wondering what they could do to check that would take 2.5 hrs to complete?

In regards to Phil saying 2.5 hours, later he mentions he wasn't present.  I wonder if they gave the 'worse case scenario' time (replace steering column) because it was a drop-off/pick-up (or appears to have been).   They reckon 4 hours for a valve body replacement - so maybe 2.5 for steering column?

I have a sneaking suspicion the check is quick (a few minutes) and determines if you just get ECU update (which you report is quick), or need new column as well.  I am assuming, with the recall on, service centers have probably been supplied with spares, or a spare, with local delivery of replenishment as required.

When mine got checked, though not part of the 'formal' recall, steering got 'checked' and the ECU update only; and also the valve body problem diagnosed (actual reason for being in).   Of course, having said that, as I have mentioned previously they had replaced the steering column in mine at the start of the year because it failed completely.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We had a door handle replaced, so there wasn't a time stated for the steering, yours is most likely more accurate.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
We had a door handle replaced, so there wasn't a time stated for the steering, yours is most likely more accurate.

Ahh!

Offline sallyid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Aranda, ACT
Hello all! It has been a while between posts! Unfortunately my power steering has failed again after 15months of smooth driving. As before I am hoping to avoid spending over $3600 all at once on one job (to replace the whole steering column), especially given that Hyundai certified parts only have one year's warranty.

I have only just become aware of this recall for the exact same problem that my car - only unfortunately the date of manufacture and VIN fall outside of the range of the recall. When this problem first occurred my car 's five year warranty had expired 6 months earlier. So I am feeling rather duped yet again :disapp: :disapp:. Has anyone here succeeded in having this repair despite not being under warranty or under conditions of the recall?

Any advice much appreciated.
  • Hyundai i30 SX 2009

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal