i30 Owners Club

Headlamp Bulb Upgrade - 10-Step Photo Guide...

i30manUK · 93 · 79918

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi,

Does the headlight unit swivel out once all 3 screws have been removed or does it fall out on its own?

Also, when you put it back in place, does it go back exactly as it came out or does the light point upwards slightly and therefore blind the person in fronmt of you whilst sitting at lights?  Is it a worthwhile exercise or more bother than it is worth.  The only reason I would want to be doing it is to move away from the "Yellow" headlights I currently have.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It doesn't fall out, but it does kind of swivel, with a bit of persuasion.

I've had my units out plenty of times, and while it feels as if you're going to do some paintwork damage twisting them upwards and forwards, I've never so much as marked the surroundings.

They go back in place exactly - I've never experienced a change in the bulb patterning.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
My light units were a really tight fit, I stuggled to get them up and over the lip on the bumper, so I replaced the bulbs with them in the car, it was fiddly but easy.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=4654.0

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
So is it not possible to change the bulbs without taking out the headlight units or removing the battery?  I have pretty small hands and I managed to change them in my previous car with no problem.

There could have been more room there right enough but, not being too mechanically minded, I don't fancy removing the unit and struggling to replace it. Also, I'm a bit concerned that removing the battery will cause other power problems.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

There are only really two things to fix after reconnecting the battery -

1. re enter you preferences and prefix stations on the radio.
2. start the car, turn the steering 3/4 of the way to the left 3/4 way to the right, and then back to the middle. Then turn the power off and back on. This will recalibrate the power steering torque sensor and turn off the EPS warning light the you get after disconnecting the battery.

With small hands the headlights main and dip will be easy enough with the units in the car, but remember if you tug at the wires and they don't come off, there is a clip to push. You can't change the indicator bulbs without removing the units.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hey Lorian, My last car had a radio code to be entered after the battery had been reconnected, Does the i30 have this code as well???
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
lol thats ok! although its always good to check the manual!! just incase! i would hate it if yours did have a code, and you didnt have it, then had to pay to get it!!!

and you would probably curse my name for ever!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I have checked the manual but found no reference to the radio reset code. BTW that's one thing I DON'T like about the i30, the bloody manual is a crock :evil: :evil:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The radio definitely has no code.

I notice that 30% of the manual consists of warning texts and symbols. If you obeyed them all you'd be scared stiff to get in the car.

Anyway, the electronic (adobe) version of the manual helps, as you can search it for key words, google can find it on the web.

Offline Chippa1972

• 1st Gear
Thank you so much for your pics, they helped me to do my first headlight replacement  :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thank you so much for your pics, they helped me to do my first headlight replacement  :cool:

Excellent... did you remove the headlight unit or dismantle the engine bay ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Chippa1972

• 1st Gear

After some swearing I was able to remove and replace the headlight unit  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

After some swearing I was able to remove and replace the headlight unit  :D

Dazz makes mental note to self " need to modify that thread to include this vital component of process"  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania
does anyone know how you can raise/lower the low beam (beside the switch in the car)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

does anyone know how you can raise/lower the low beam (beside the switch in the car)

In Australia and some other places we don't get headlight adjustment INSIDE the cabin.. so the only way for us is to tighten, loosen an adjustment screw in the body of the light.

How to do it "which one to turn and which way" is on here somewhere ... :whistler:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
That was an excellent tutorial, very well done, even a dumbo like me could follow it.  You must be a teacher, a good teacher.

Thanks  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania

In Australia and some other places we don't get headlight adjustment INSIDE the cabin.. so the only way for us is to tighten, loosen an adjustment screw in the body of the light.

How to do it "which one to turn and which way" is on here somewhere ... :whistler:

i managed to find that screw and now my headlights are exactly as i wished for :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

My really heavy mother-in-law is able to raise them if she sits in the back seat, but I have to get her to sit in the middle to make it even  :lol:

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My really heavy mother-in-law is able to raise them if she sits in the back seat, but I have to get her to sit in the middle to make it even  :lol:

:rofl: :goodjob:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Having read the topics in Russian forums I learnt that it is not necessary to remove the headlight unit to change the bulb, nor it is needed to remove the accumulator, there is only one thing which should be removed - it is a tank with washing fluid. I haven't had a chance to change any bulb in my car so far since I purchased my car in January 2010 (lights are on every time), so I can't share my personal experience with you over this subject.

Offline jeffk95z

• 2nd Gear
i30manUK, thanks for the write up.

had to replace a bulb today and found it super easy to follow and get this job done.

the only issue i had was not being sure how much force to use when move the whole headlight assembly in and out.  Not alot of force, but its not sliding in and out like butter, that's for sure :)

thanks again!

jeff

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
I had to replace both of my low beam globes recently and also had no trouble
pulling out both light assemblies to replace them.
Glad I didn't go the route of dismantling bits and pieces of the car to access them
in situ from the back!!
As Shambles has always insisted, remove the whole light assembly from the front,
.......you'll be so glad you did.

Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
I had to replace both of my low beam globes recently and also had no trouble
pulling out both light assemblies to replace them.
Glad I didn't go the route of dismantling bits and pieces of the car to access them
in situ from the back!!
As Shambles has always insisted, remove the whole light assembly from the front,
.......you'll be so glad you did.

Russ
I couldn't pull my one out, although I managed to unlatch it. Some one claims that the bumper's upper bolts have to be loosened prior to removing headlight. Anyway, as I said, it is no need to remove it to change a low beam bulb.

Offline Spy007

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
Just wanted to say thanks. I had to do this today and after readfing this took me all of 10 min.

Only difference I had is that the 2010 does not swiffel out but comes out completely.

• 2010 i30 2l

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline Rochdale Pioneers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Teesside
I've upgraded my H7 bulbs easily enough, could unclip the H1s no problem either. But the sidelight wouldn't pull out, felt like it was welded in there! Is there a clip I am missing - black plastic unit the bulb sits in appeared to have a couple of notches....
  • i30 1.4 Comfort 5dr

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal