Using a dual clutch transmission.

Dazzler · 13 · 6916

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks mainly to VW and Ford dual clutch transmissions have had a bit of a bad wrap over the years. I did a fair bit of research before I recently committed to my DCT i30 SR.

Things like not inching forward in traffic and stuff like that still make some nervous about them, but I get the impression this is more if it is going to be under load while towing something heavy or going up a hill (and inching forward in traffic) ...

This video explains things really well. Mine is the first DCT I've driven but after 6,000 kilometres I think Hyundai have got the computer control side worked out pretty well. 

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
. Mine is the first DCT I've driven but after 6,000 kilometres I think Hyundai have got the computer control side worked out pretty well. 

Yeah.
They gave us that impression at the launch.
Although the technical stuff was a bit above me to remember it all, I'm savvy enough to follow logic as it is explained. And they did that very well.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thats got to be fairly embarassing for Ford and VW.....

So how do they go service wise. The 4 and 6 speed autos only required the occasional flush. What does the DCT require?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So how do they go service wise. The 4 and 6 speed autos only required the occasional flush. What does the DCT require?
That's a very good question! Where is Tim when we need him? @cruiserfied

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well I have been up Sydney for a few days and got to go for a few long drives in my cousins new vw tsi auto, that is the quietest car I have been in yet since I now have full hearing, with radio off no one talking and in heavy Sydney traffic, was like in a sound proof room. I asked them to put some music on as thought my bionic ears had got off.
my cousins wife drives the car think its a Jetta it's larger than a golf , shows revering and forward camera front and rear. he also got a new kia sport thats same size as the i30, it's auto he just bought it for himself as wife drives the vw. I could notice sound proofing in vw over my father gd i30 or the kia both noisy, he chose kia for the 7 year warranty.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

well I have been up Sydney for a few days and got to go for a few long drives in my cousins new vw tsi auto, that is the quietest car I have been in yet since I now have full hearing, with radio off no one talking and in heavy Sydney traffic, was like in a sound proof room. I asked them to put some music on as thought my bionic ears had got off.
my cousins wife drives the car think its a Jetta it's larger than a golf , shows revering and forward camera front and rear. he also got a new kia sport thats same size as the i30, it's auto he just bought it for himself as wife drives the vw. I could notice sound proofing in vw over my father gd i30 or the kia both noisy, he chose kia for the 7 year warranty.

Yes, Hyundai/ Kia three main weaknesses now fuel economy/ korean tyres/ soundproofing. They are not the worst with any of these, but could do better...  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a very good question! Where is Tim when we need him? @cruiserfied

Doing a quick google apparently VW wet DCT needs servicing every 40,000 kms whereas Ford Fiesta Dry DCT is every 150,000 kms (according to this forum)

:link: Dual Clutch Transmissions Service: VW versus Ford

another discussion..

:link: Dual-clutch gearbox maintenance requirements in general?

sounds like the dry clutch DCT needs less maintenance..

:link: Should You Buy a Car With a Dual-Clutch Transmission? » AutoGuide.com News
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:29:23 by Dazzler »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have no first hand experience with dct, but as with auto of any type always good to keep a close eye on the oil as it tell's you everything, almost like a blood test.
they look simple, I think most complex part the system that controls them.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Before I changed to Hyundai, I had a new Audi A3 with one of the early DCT boxes. I got rid of it before the warranty expired because it was at a time when there were a lot of failures and a new box cost £2,500 plus fitting. It was a lovely car - but noisy and the gearbox lurched on take-off no matter how careful you were with the loud pedal.  You could also feel every gear change except 5 to 6.

My current KIA, being a hybrid - always pulls away on the electric motor and feels just like a fluid flywheel auto it is so smooth. I have not driven a Hyundai or KIA  non-hybrid DCT so can't comment on them - but I recall Bumpkin speaking highly of his (where is he by the way - I can't recall seeing him here recently)

Over the past two years I have hired two DCT golfs and posted my experiences on the forum. Neither were as jerky as my old A3 but both lurched on take off. Putting them into a parking space was a white knuckle job - I was worried about hitting a car in the space in front of me. The problem was from stationary you release the brake, put your foot gently on the loud pedal and bugger all happens for half a second - then the first gear clutch drops in and the car lurches forwards. My son has a Golf GT and his does the same - but now he has owned it for a few months, he has got used to it, and he doesn't find it a problem. 
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I drive a Volkswagen Golf with a 6 speed DSG and it has NONE of those characteristics. It drives just like a normal automatic but with very quick and very smooth gear changes.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I haven't driven any other DCT's but the earlier VW group cars with DCT were criticised for the behaviour Alan describes.

Fortunately the new SR DCT is smooth from take off and when changing gears. Unless in Sport mode the initial take off is more leisurely than I would expect for a smallish car with 150KW though...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I haven't driven any other DCT's but the earlier VW group cars with DCT were criticised for the behaviour Alan describes.

Fortunately the new SR DCT is smooth from take off and when changing gears. Unless in Sport mode the initial take off is more leisurely than I would expect for a smallish car with 150KW though...

dazz, 150kw is not going to get you off the mark quicker, it is the torque at low rev that gets you off the mark, check your tach to see what rev the motor is doing as you, take off as I would expect auto to have a stall speed on take off.
when you know what rev if you had a dyno print out you would then know what torque and power your motor put's out at that rev but I would expect you need about 5,000rpm or more to be making the 150kw so under that rev you make less I think when I looked they make 260 280 nm of torque start making torque at a lower rev than if never had a turbo.

when I road in the new vw psst or Jetta , as I'm not into cars much so did not look at badges it was a big vw and less than one month old and tai auto it was very smooth could not feel it shifting, but the performance did not excite me that much the new kia cerato sport performed about the same from a passengers view point it's auto too, but the vw had a nicer ride and was silent unless sound system was on.
both get about same economy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yea, that makes sense John. If it was bigger it was probably a Passat. I quite like them (but my wallet doesn't) :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal