i30 Owners Club

Throttle sticking at max revs when driving

uloola · 45 · 14984

Offline uloola

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have a 2 year old i30cw 1.6lt auto diesel.On three occasions in the past 2 years I experienced the accelerator sticking on full throttle when moving of from a stop.Dealer said they could not find a problem.This is to be expected with an intermittent fault but I felt I had to get it on the record because of the potential dangers of this situation,the only known case they said had occurred once in Korea.
When bought the car new I had the D.P. Chip (Diesel Power) installed at Berrima Diesel near Sydney.As I was unsuccessful at the dealer I returned to Berrima Diesel and the owner there,Rheinhart,who sources tell me is one of the best in the business,advised me to change the throttle position sensor.
As yet I have not changed the sensor.I overcome the situation by steering to the kerb and knocking the car into neutral whilst turning the ignition key back one notch to turn the engine off .I wait ten seconds and restart the engine and everything is normal.
Anybody have any ideas apart from changing the sensor?
  • 130 cw auto diesel crdi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not really other than a) take the expert's advice, and b) if that doesn't work, demod back to factory chip. Whatever you do, I'd do it ASAP - no telling when it might happen next and at the worst time. :Shocked:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome uloola

Sorry can't help.. Sounds very scary  :sweating:

and

:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sell it to member i30rsa, that's how he drives.  :snigger:

Seriously, that's dangerous, needs fixing ASAP.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline uloola

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for the advice.The DP chip is on the side of the ECU that does not affect the basic functions.
I have been driving semi trailers for decades,a sticking throttle was a fairly normal occurrence in a 12 hour day so the problem does not worry me to much.I was just wondering if anybody had the same problem and if they solved it
  • 130 cw auto diesel crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the advice.The DP chip is on the side of the ECU that does not affect the basic functions.
I have been driving semi trailers for decades,a sticking throttle was a fairly normal occurrence in a 12 hour day so the problem does not worry me to much.I was just wondering if anybody had the same problem and if they solved it

I can't recall that on an i30 before (thankfully)  :sweating:

Luckily I drive a toyota.. Oh hang on  :Shocked: :sweating:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the foum.
I've never heard of that problem before, sorry.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :D What's a foum :question:

Ah, Margaret River.  :D

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

I would like Gonz said take the advice of the experts and quickly,as for the statement about the semi's,I too have been driving semi's for a fraction over four decades and in the earlier days when we weren't so regulated for a lot longer than a 12 hour shift,I have in this time only had ONE throttle stick at max rev's and that was in an old ACCO 1900 with a cable throttle and it seized due to lack of maintainance,if your driving semi's where this happens as a normal occurrence then I would be looking for a job with a company with a better maintainance record,because I can tell you from experience THIS IS NOT a normal occurence and is just a dangerous as your sticking throttle on your car.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline fbvisitor

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe, Tas
Just to reminisce, and we're talking 25 years ago, I took on a telegraph pole once due to a sticking throttle.

It had happened a week before and I immediately had it investigated but to no avail.

Well as it turned out, the panel that runs from the bottom of the dash to the firewall with the slots in it for the clutch, brake and throttle had lost the clip at the firewall side that holds it up out of the way and if you happened to flatten it (I was 20 and playing in the wet going around a corner) and your feet were biggun's like mine that would be pushing on it without realising, well you're in the hands of the gods (and with the benefit of a bit of maturity, get what I deserved for being a dickhead).

I was lucky as it was only a pole but it could have been a lot lot worse.

As I type this, maybe you check your car to see if you're not replicating this same issue.

As others have said, get on to it fast.

Cheers

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Full throttle?.... Maybe towing or whatever but I can't remember ever flooring the pedal on my i30 or my re-mapped Fiat. But if I ever had a sticking throttle it would be my number 1 priority fix!

Oh and no, never had this at any throttle position, so I'd be eying the tuning box suspiciously!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Interesting that uloola joined up, made this post to pose the question, replied once, but hasn't revisited :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting that uloola joined up, made this post to pose the question, replied once, but hasn't revisited :rolleyes:

I'll send him a PM...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'll send him a PM...

A current one or a past one?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll send him a PM...

A current one or a past one?  :undecided:

I sent him a where are you PM on the 25/7 (no reply yet)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Probably a "plant" from some other makes fan-club, trying to discredit the brand!

Pip
It's this sort of bitchiness that often makes me want to leave... a bloke doesn't conform to your ideals or timeliness and he's given a serve - every time.  :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's this sort of bitchiness that often makes me want to leave... a bloke doesn't conform to your ideals or timeliness and he's given a serve - every time.  :confused:

I hope they were only joking  :undecided: :Shocked:

"RSA" deserved it...

Pip
I hope they were only joking  :undecided: :Shocked:
So how is it a joke to join a club and after 2 posts be accused of being a "plant".

If that happened to me I would not be reaching #3 post. Get real you guys. If you want the membership to grow and remain, then get off your high horses.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I'm entitled to an opinion & I expressed it. Since when did this engaging liberal forum become a dictatorship? My comment wasn't intended to offend as I didn't think anyone could be so brittle jawed TBH!

Pip
Fair enough!

If these are the standards, then I'm going to vote with my feet. I've had a good time... but it's time to go.

I hope my posts have been of use to others.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
 :wtf: has just happened,Have I missed something
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Fair enough!

If these are the standards, then I'm going to vote with my feet. I've had a good time... but it's time to go.

I hope my posts have been of use to others.

Sorry to see you go, pip.... :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :MeToo:, actually.  :(

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Which oil is the best to use in my car?

Hello?

Hello?

:disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm entitled to an opinion & I expressed it. Since when did this engaging liberal forum become a dictatorship? My comment wasn't intended to offend as I didn't think anyone could be so brittle jawed TBH!

I'm not looking for an argument but I really must say I did find it a little over the top myself.... :undecided:
I re read this thread and really can't see anything in his posts that would cause anyone to come to the conclusion that he was a "plant".
He wasn't even "bagging" Hyundai, simply pointing out an issue just as many other new and old members have done....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is a fair point Rusty..

I guess some feel it is a bit rude to post a question and not come back for the answers... (but they may have many valid reasons for that) Lost the link, lost their pasword, been i'll, gone on holidays without internet access...

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

I'm not looking for an argument but I really must say I did find it a little over the top myself.... :undecided:
I re read this thread and really can't see anything in his posts that would cause anyone to come to the conclusion that he was a "plant".
He wasn't even "bagging" Hyundai, simply pointing out an issue just as many other new and old members have done....

I must be a bit more thick skinned or just plain stupid,I've gone up and down the post and other from the original question,the replies and others opinions,I couldn't see what all the fuss is about,uloola from my point of view didn't look or sound to be a plant,but Keith was only expressing his view,I feel like a plant some days,a weed growing in the back yard,certainly not a rose.

Like many PPL I tend judge others, within fifteen minutes of talking to them and their actions over a period of time,or in this case by reading their posts and what they say in them and portray themselves as through their posts,generally 99% of the time I'm right,almost everyone here too me are decent PPL,we all having our own sometimes very strong opinions on certain subjects,including myself,it all I suppose comes back to our upbringing and how and what we were taught over the years,me I was taught to respect others(sometimes I forget this),but on the other hand not be down trodden by anyone(which I will never be),don't touch that which is not yours if you want to use something of others Ask.

Hopefully uloola,took the simple advice of the experts he has seen and got his car fixed

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That is a fair point Rusty..

I guess some feel it is a bit rude to post a question and not come back for the answers... (but they may have many valid reasons for that) Lost the link, lost their pasword, been i'll, gone on holidays without internet access...

...died, got divorced, missus left him, kids got arrested, dog ran away, mother-in-law came back.......
The list is endless.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal