i30 Owners Club

GD Warranty Work

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Some time ago I put my car into a dealership for the following two warranty items:

(1) Intermittent difficulty in selecting 3rd & 4th gear when changing up.

(2) Glove box rattle.

After being without my car for the duration, their response was:

(1) Unable to find fault.

(2) Removed glove box & refitted it.

The glove box rattle remained.

Today I put my car into another dealership for the following three warranty items:

(1) Intermittent problem with the Electric Power Steering where the steering loads up and locks into position, taking some effort to change direction.

(2) Oil leak around number 1 cylinder head (known to be a leak and not a spill from a refill due to it being there following consecutive services).

(3) Excessive oil useage between services (could be linked to # (2) above).

After being without my car for the duration their response was:

(1) Unable to find fault.

(2) Area cleaned and car to be returned after 500-1000 kms to re-check. I explained that my service centre has already done this and it IS a leak but they said they have to see that for themselves and can't take another service centre's word for it.

(3) Checked with Hyundai who said that using 1 litre of oil between services is not only acceptable and within parameters, but also quite normal.

I beg to differ. It wasn't normal on my FD and wasn't normal on this car to begin with either.

Anyhow, it's good to see that Hyundai are upholding their reputation in the service departments. Five issues raised. Zero solved.  :rolleyes:

Now, why is it that I expected that outcome?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good luck brother,

I think the warranty plan across all brands is see if we can fob it off until it goes away.

Which reminds me, I must book mine in again for the glove box rattle and dash rattle. Got them to have a look at it when I was getting the brake switch done, their response; you guessed it, nothing found, tightened dash.

Got into the car and hadn't even moved a meter before the dash rattle started. Got the service manager to have a ride and he managed to hear it.

Then went to book the car in and got the whole 'well it may not be warranty and it is very labor intensive and we charge $126 an hour (What is this brain surgery?) if its not  and you know your car has done nearly 90,000k, either way we'll need a $62.50 diagnostic fee refundable if it is warranty'. The person dealing with me was busy, so I left my number to be called back to book it in, they never did.

I have found that one of the bolts that holds the plastic cover onto the engine has broken, so I wonder if that is what is causing the dash rattle, so I'll get that fixed at the 90,000k and see what that does, God forbid they pull the dash apart spending hours to discover it was a bolt in the engine, not warranty, $126 per hour please.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I was going to crack (What I thought was) a funny at Daves post, but thought I would be smacked badly,I think I'll just PM him he will see the funny side,if I post it here some others may not find it funny.

I'm with you I hate rattles,as for your oil leak,your car has done next to no miles,it shouldn't be leaking any oil or using it for that fact,collectively both ours have done 150,000 K's neither use any oil between changes,nor have any leaks,bit of bad form I think.

The only thing I can defend Hy for is NO car manufacturer will take the word of another service centre especially if it is not one of the own centres,but still in both your cases,very bad form by HY and I have said this from day one of joining the forum
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:23:54 by Rick! »
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I await the aforementioned pm with great interest and anticipation.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

(3) Checked with Hyundai who said that using 1 litre of oil between services is not only acceptable and within parameters, but also quite normal.

Did they give any indication of miles/k's as a guide
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This is quite interesting, I was told many years ago that 1 pint of oil in every thousand miles was an acceptable consumption. Given that oil is supposed to be lining the cylinder walls and the valve guides, you would expect some consumption, but modern cars today appear not to show any oil burning smoke, so maybe that figure is a lot less.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Did they give any indication of miles/k's as a guide

Our services are 15,000 kms apart in Australia.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok but you have a leak not natural consumption!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ok but you have a leak not natural consumption!

I hope it's just a leak.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If there's a leak, there's a warranty case. No doubt about that.

Regarding oil consumption; When I worked at VW, they said that up to 0,5 Liter per 1000 km is acceptable consumption. It's stated in their warranty guidelines.

If your engine is using, not leaking, 1 liter per 15000 km I very much doubt you will get a warranty fix.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I was going to crack (What I thought was) a funny at Daves post, but thought I would be smacked badly,I think I'll just PM him he will see the funny side,if I post it here some others may not find it funny.

I'm with you I hate rattles,as for your oil leak,your car has done next to no miles,it shouldn't be leaking any oil or using it for that fact,collectively both ours have done 150,000 K's neither use any oil between changes,nor have any leaks,bit of bad form I think.

The only thing I can defend Hy for is NO car manufacturer will take the word of another service centre especially if it is not one of the own centres,but still in both your cases,very bad form by HY and I have said this from day one of joining the forum

Mine is 88k no leaks, the wifes has done 13k no leaks, so there is another 101,000k
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Far out brussel spout, I feel for you Dave .. Stuff like that pi$$es me off big time  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I know a chap from Wales and he has a bootful of leeks!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Regarding oil consumption; When I worked at VW, they said that up to 0,5 Liter per 1000 km is acceptable consumption. It's stated in their warranty guidelines.

Holy Cow Asterix,you have convinced me beyond a doubt,NEVER to buy a VW 0.5 Ltr/1000Km(hope this is a typo),that is deplorable,I have a 24 YO commodore,that has done almost 700,000 Klm at that doesn't even use 0.5Ltr in it's service period of 5000Klm,with burning or what it leaks.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Holy Cow Asterix,you have convinced me beyond a doubt,NEVER to buy a VW 0.5 Ltr/1000Km(hope this is a typo),that is deplorable,I have a 24 YO commodore,that has done almost 700,000 Klm at that doesn't even use 0.5Ltr in it's service period of 5000Klm,with burning or what it leaks.

No, no typo here.... :mrgreen:

In the early 2000's there was a 2,0 petrol engine in VW Golf/Bora and Skoda Octavia. It was famous for using a lot of oil, but we were told by the servicedept. that consumption up to 0,5 Liter/1000 km was ok. I don't remember the fix for the oil usage, and I don't know if these figures are still valid.

My i30 have now done 189000 km and still not using any oil at all, not even when towing the 1400 kg caravan the 3500 km in the summer vacation.  :razz:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 17:22:34 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal