i30 Owners Club

How to determine if an i30 has a DPF?

Offline sarky_scouser

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire, UK
What's the easiest way to determine if my early (UK) 2010 i30 1.6 CRDI has a DPF fitted?

My car has started to generate white/grey smoke on cold startup over the last 1-2 months.  After reading other threads in this forum I now have it booked into the dealer for inspection. Right now I'm trying to determine whether my car has a DPF or not and whether this cold startup issue will have an adverse effect on its longevity.  My daily commute is 20 miles each way, half of which is at motorway speeds.

Is there any easy way to determine DPF existance or not? I did a mid-service oil and filter change last week so I don't mind getting dirty, but if there's a quick/easy way to tell all the better.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDI Comfort

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi sarky_scouser

:wttc:

I do have the DPF on my car. I can't remember if the warning light in the dash do a selftest on start up. I will check tonight when I have to do a short trip anyway.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My old 57 plate (2007) didn't have one.

I'm sure i've read on here that dpf had to be fitted from a certain date to comply with eu regs.

Not sure but mid 2009 rings a bell with me.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There are no indications in the instrument display which betrays the existence of a DPF or not.

My first i30 CRDi had a build date of 25.06.2010 and it had a DPF fitted. It was one of the early models with the Euro 5 compatible engine.

The only way I know of telling whether a DPF is fitted is to physically look - it is a tubby cylindrical unit directly after the Turbo. Someone posted a picture on the forum a few months ago of the engine assembly which showed it - but I cannot find it.

I very much doubt that the DPF would cause smoke on start up.  But a duff injector or glow plug would.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline sarky_scouser

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire, UK
thanks for the responses.  I'm not concerned that the DPF would cause a smokey startup, but the effects of the smokey startups on the DPF.

I thought 2009 ish for universal DPFs too, but I've seen honest john reply to letters about 2010 VWs suggesting that's not the case.

Offline sarky_scouser

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire, UK
thanks for the link, that thread didn't come up when I searched

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Details are there somewhere.

At about the same time, Lorian, (in another post), actually showed the DPF position, (picture), under the bonnet.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The DPF will be right next to the turbo as Alan described. Whitish smoke, is unburned Diesel fuel, usually caused by 1 or more non performing glow plugs. Is the engine running roughly when this occurs or is it a normal idle  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sarky_scouser

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire, UK
It seems to be idling OK, although a bit difficult to tell with a cold diesel (?). I've got it booked in to the dealer soon so hopefully covered under warranty. I'm just hoping this isn't having an adverse effect on the DPF.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The DPF is regenerated by extra fuel being injected part way down the firing stroke so that it reaches the DPF unburned. It combusts in the DPF to raise the temperature to about 600°C which burns off the particulates in the filter.

Hence I can't imagine the DPF would be damaged by a smoky exhaust.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline sarky_scouser

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire, UK
Thanks that's reassuring.

This all started happening at the same time a colleague who commutes from south west to north west UK every week has had a glogged DPF on his laguna. He does over 25000 miles a year of mainly motorway driving yet still had problems!

It may be an apples and oranges comparison, but got me a bit worried.

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall
The early i30s had their DPF under the car and when the U2 engine came the DPF was moved to right behind the turbo for more efficency.

A diesel engine with DPF should not smoke... if it does its something wrong! Is the glow plugs alright?? Does the EGR function correctly??

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal