i30 Owners Club

I30 Active (2013)- 8000 miles and the front offside wheel bearing is shot

Bird1t · 6 · 3162

Offline Bird1t

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Herts
Hi guy's, I have not posted before but thought this might help others. Had my i30 Active (2013) for 3 months, car has only done 8000 miles, love the car but since I first got it there has been a noise off the front wheels, at first I put it down to tyre noise ( read several of the forum threads on this). Initially it was annoying but not that bad and not noticeable all the time and did not get worse when cornering. The noise was frequency dependant on speed, disappearing at higher speed. Considered swapping the front  and rear wheels but before I got around to doing that the noise started to get worse and was becoming more pronounced on left corners. Cue a visit to my dealer, front offside bearing gone at just 8000 miles. I am really pleased that I have the culprit for my noisy ride but shocked at the bearing going so early, I guess it must have been incorrectly fitted at build or poor quality part. Had lots of Hyundai's in the past but never had any mechanicals..perhaps it was time my luck run out!
  • i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yeah that would be unusual/odd on any modern car..  Least it'll get sorted with no quibble.   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome bird1 ..

Yep, just unlucky on this occasion .. not a common fault. Thanks for sharing  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
welcome,yeah that was a bit of bad luck,obviously a faulty bearing right off.like you say poor QC,maybe wasn't greased before install,at least you got it fixed
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm a bit of 8k but will listen out now it has been reported.
Ps   welcome
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:
Thanks for sharing that. It was a bit of bad luck on your part. Glad it held together.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal