i30 Owners Club

Cruise control issues - fails to set on initial start up

Rof · 11 · 10933

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi, has anyone had any problems with their Cruise Control?  Mine's been problematic since I got the vehicle - CRDi, 2008.  Intermittently fails, usually after I initially start the vehicle and try to set it when driving at a speed anything over 30mph.  I can turn the cruise control on, but when I press the set button it doesn't work.  It will however, come on later in the drive.  It has nothing to do with the speed I'm travelling, or how I use the vehicle.  Hyundai have had it in several times and have not got to the route cause of the problem.  They've replaced the switch, but it continues to fail.  As it's an intermittent fault, unless they have the issue when they're driving it, they can't diagnose it.  Surely something registers in the computer?

The horn has also failed three times.  Are these issues interrelated?  Finally got the horn replaced on the third failure.  I also have issues with the ESP, which turns itself off whilst I'm driving.  I'm told the ESP and Cruise control are interrelated.  Anyone got any suggestions on what the route cause may be?

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Brake light switch? My symptoms started out the same (except for the horn).  One thing you can try, if the cruise doesn't set, try putting your foot behind the pedal and lifting it up towards you in case the switch is slightly out of adjustment and is staying on, or apply the brakes and try again.  First thing I'd check is to make sure the brake lights are working at all.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Thanks.  Can't check at the mo as the car is in waiting Hyundai to get to the route cause of the steering problems.  Will try it if / when I get my car back.  I would be surprised if it's a brake light issue as it has been in for service since and would expect them to check the brake lights.  Worth a go.  Cheers.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
The brake light switch seems to start out as a intermittent fault then slowly gets worse.  If it's night time when you have issues with the cruise or ESP then you should be able to see the centre brake light reflection in the mirror, that way you can tell straight away if its working correctly.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Thanks.  Will do.  Will start with mentioning the brake light switch to Hyundai as a possible route cause.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
I had an issue with this only a few months after getting my 08 i30... but for me the fix was simple:

Cruise control will not set unless the brake pedal has been activated (depressed) since start up. I pulled out of a service station onto a freeway on ramp with a 300km drive ahead of me and cruise would not work. Spent the most part of the drive fuming! Then, pulled over (applied brakes) to grab something from the back of the car and then continued without turning off the car - cruise worked again. A couple of minutes later I figured out what might have happened, so tested the theory - pulled over, turned car off/on, then back on the freeway without using brakes since turning on... cruise would not work. Touch brakes, all problems solved.

Hope this helps.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Murray.. Yes this has been "discovered" by quite a few members now (apparently it is a fail safe to ensure the brakes are working before Cruise is engaged)

I would imagine it is a common practice across the car industry.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hello all.

The cruise control problem was finally attributed to a fault brake light switch, which has now been resolved, along with rectify, of sorts, the ESP issue, both of which are attributed to the faulty brake light switch.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are you on call as the dealer consultant  :rofl:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
You would think - to the most "Senior" of so-called "Experts" in the trade.  What a nonsense.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal