i30 Owners Club

Headlight replacement in FD i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I must admit failure today in trying to replace the headlight bulbs in my FD i30. I'd read all the threads here regarding popping out the headlights including the ones stating how easy it would be.

I do think Hyundai made small modifications with time to the placement of things in the engine bay because definitely some things seem different between UK and Australian models and even possibly early vs later Australian models. I wonder whether this is why some people pop the headlights out with ease but others like myself struggle.

Anyway, I undid the 3 bolts for the headlights and tried to wriggle them forwards including the advice to lift them upwards at the front (lens) side whilst pushing downwards from behind.

However, both sides seemed particularly stuck fast more on the outer sides towards the indicator bulb side. I was definitely tugging at them hard enough that they would scratch the bumper. Eventually I gave up.

On the R (driver's side), I was able to simply unclip a small fuse box from its holder and move it to the side and leave a cramped but sufficient space to insert an Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulb in.

On the L (passenger side) I had no chance. When I have some more time, I will try the other option which is to completely disconnect the battery and take it out. Are there any precautions with doing this? I can see there is one clip bolted on holding the front edge of the battery. I gather I undo this and some bolts around the 2 terminals and the battery should be free?

Did I read anywhere that undoing the battery in some way affects steering position sensor and it must be recalibrated by some procedure afterwards?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There should not be any problems in disconnecting the battery.

Just make sure you undo the - Negative wire first and reconnect it last to avoid unintentional arcing which can ruin electronic components.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I had similar trouble getting the headlamps out of my FD. I eventually got it out, but I did scratch the headlamp.  I didn't try my luck with the other headlamp.

BTW: It looks like powerbulbs.com has a 20% off discount for the World Cup.  Coupon code: BRAZIL20.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for that, tia....I decided to buy some backups while they were cheap.  :goodjob:

Gone for the Night Breaker Unlimited over the Philips X-tremes this time... :undecided:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I had similar trouble getting the headlamps out of my FD. I eventually got it out, but I did scratch the headlamp.  I didn't try my luck with the other headlamp.

BTW: It looks like powerbulbs.com has a 20% off discount for the World Cup.  Coupon code: BRAZIL20.

I just saw a YouTube video suggesting removing 2 extra screws which gives wiggle room to get the lights out. I may try that. I also took advantage of the powerbulbs offer.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Success with removing the L hand side headlamp.

Watch this video:
:link: Changing lightbulb on Hyundai i30 - YouTube

Note the part where he advises removing extra screws. In my FD i30 there were more than 2, possibly 5 on each side to remove. This makes the bumper around the inside edge of the headlight more flexible and amenable to loosening around the headlight.

Also undo the main right angle connector for the wiring to the whole headlight.

With some pulling and prying the loosened bumper, it should come out.

Should be able to be pulled completely away from the car.

Also beware, the bit of metal bodywork that extends just above the lateral most section of the headlight. It juts out like a triangle. The metal underneath is very sharp and I scratch my headlight as I manoeuvred it back in. Therefore not without a bit of risk.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Absolutely no need at all for all that messing around  :disapp:

Or for the painted thumbnail :lol:

Just needs a bit of confidence after the three 10mm bolts are removed...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Also beware, the bit of metal bodywork that extends just above the lateral most section of the headlight. It juts out like a triangle. The metal underneath is very sharp and I scratch my headlight as I manoeuvred it back in. Therefore not without a bit of risk.
+1000, I made the same mistake and ended up with a small scratch on my left hand side headlight unit.

I recommend buying a sheet of clear vinyl cut to size to put over the clear headlight plastic which should minimize any scratches you might pick up :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Just needs a bit of confidence after the three 10mm bolts are removed...

We'll no amount of tugging helped me until I undid those screws. What may have worked for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone. There does appear to be minor differences within the engine bay for different manufacture year models.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I, like Shambles, have never had a problem pulling the headlights out....just remove the 3 bolts, pull off the plug, stick your tongue out at the right angle, then it's easy peasy....

All I can think of is when they went to the black headlights they changed things slightly. I can't imagine why though....  :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: rustynutz
All I can think of is when they went to the black headlights they changed things slightly. I can't imagine why though....  :undecided:

That thought occurred to me, though I changed a 2010 bulb last year for a guy at work and it was the same "doddle"  :Dunno:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :Dunno:

We need some volunteers with i30's with the black headlights to lend us their vehicles so we can try them for ourselves...  :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Yeah:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hehehe  :D

I didn't mean a permanent lend, Phil...  :whistler:
Just a meeting and I'll bring my tool..... :lol:
Surely there are some lovely single ladies out there with the appropriate model i30...  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There's been so much written about this that when the weather gets half reasonable, I'm going to devise a way to do it without undoing any light fittings. I do remember a post a couple of years ago where a dealer was changing them in 5 minutes without any dismantling, so it can't be impossible. I was going to devise a tool to do it, but if you already have one, how about providing us with a photo.  :idea:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I was going to devise a tool to do it, but if you already have one, how about providing us with a photo.  :idea:
:disapp: Family channel, Phil. :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Silly me, I was visualizing a piece of PVC pipe with cut outs.  :Shocked: :faint:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I have an FD with the black headlights.  I had to replace the headlights not long ago.  I was able to get the headlight unit out with only the three 10mm bolts undone.  There was a bit of wiggling and stuff on the left hand side, but I must have been holding my tongue correctly.  First side took about 10 minutes, the other side was out and back in within five minutes.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I guess that pretty much confirms that nothing changed between the silver and black headlight models...  :goodjob:
I really couldn't imagine why Hyundai would've changed things....  :undecided:

And Jamie, that tongue holding is very important......Did you try saying "pirate ship" while holding it???  :snigger:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
And Jamie, that tongue holding is very important......Did you try saying "pirate ship" while holding it???  :snigger:

Oh,......I thought it was "pile of sH1t" that you said.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Oh,......I thought it was "pile of sH1t" that you said.  :undecided:

It usually is...  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal