i30 Owners Club

Tyres and balancing

Andyp25 · 14 · 4398

Offline Andyp25

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leeds

• 2013 Petrol 1.4 Active
Hi Chaps!  When I started looking for my brill I30 I noticed that everyone I looked at had weights knocked onto the outside rim of the alloy wheel, I thought that was a complete no no to do to a alloy, its o.k on steel wheels.  Surely its should be stick on weights on the inside rim of the alloy. Also I ve noticed that my front tyres need changing soon, anyone tried any good eco tyres?
  • 2013 i30 1.4 Petrol

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Dunno what others you've looked at but, to see mine you'd have to take the wheels off or crawl under cos mine is on the inside rim.  I can't recall now if they're stick on one's or not.

At my last wheels move round the guy assured me that they were perkin on his wheel spinner do da, as was, he said the rest of the car which is now over four years old and has 21.000 miles oon the clock   :cool!: :cool!: :Agoodjob: :Agoodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's not a "no no". It's often undesirable from an aesthetics point of view. And some wheels don't have the lip, so it can't be done on them.
However, when balancing, the best place to fit the counterbalance weights is on the extreme outer edge of the wheel. The rimm in other words.
If you use stick on weights, they aren't as far out towards the extremity, so extra weight must be used to get the same effect.
So, entirely up to the driver where he would like them.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I learned something.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Which is better.....balance on or off the car?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

A VERY good question.
I prefer off the car. Provided they are done effectively, if you still have a vibration, it's in the drive train (or a hub) somewhere).
Balancing on the car will counteract any imbalance in the drivetrain as well - which is fine, until you take a wheel off and don't put it back on the same studs it came off ie. Turn it one stud around and your balance is ruined. (hope that makes sense)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interesting.
See I learned some more.
I always thought that on car balancing was better.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

A VERY good question.
I prefer off the car. Provided they are done effectively, if you still have a vibration, it's in the drive train (or a hub) somewhere).
Balancing on the car will counteract any imbalance in the drivetrain as well - which is fine, until you take a wheel off and don't put it back on the same studs it came off ie. Turn it one stud around and your balance is ruined. (hope that makes sense)

Hard to find a garage which will do on car balance now.

Many years ago a place I used would offer:

On car or Off car balance

Tracking up on a hoist with mirrors, tape etc or a plate on the floor and run the car over the plate to get accurate tyre to floor reading.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I thought it was more used for trucks and 4WDs and cars that had inherent balancing problems.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I thought it was more used for trucks and 4WDs and cars that had inherent balancing problems.
It became quite popular for cars in the late 70's and through the 80's. There were a lot of cars (the LH Torana springs to mind - and to a lesser extent, the Gemini) which had hub balance problems which could only be resolved by on car balancing. It was a sh*t of a job to do, though and you'd never get paid what it was worth, time-wise.
Certainly a bigger issue on 4X4s and trucks.
However, these days, the current model off car balancers are pretty good machines and have all sorts of different modes to help balance large diameter, wide wheels with ULP tyres.
Just like with wheel alignments though, you need an operator who knows what he's doing.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Andyp25

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leeds

• 2013 Petrol 1.4 Active
Never even heard of on car balancing!  Just shows you I not as old as you lot of "Old Men"! :P
  • 2013 i30 1.4 Petrol

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Trev, know's more about this than the rest of us!
i can remember back in 80's cars i had had wheel balance problems, & balancing on the car helped, but had to mark wheel & stud, to keep in balance. also rotating would bring back the wobbles. i think was a combination of king pins wear, steering rack wear ( rack & pinion. also steering dampers could help a lot.
a mate of mine worked for a truck tyre co, he was telling me one day he came back to the yard & the tyre fitter's the manager & the rest were all around this truck, the truck owner was a New Australian & spoke in broken english. they were all trying to explain they would balance the front wheels off the truck then check them after on the truck. but he was pig headed & would not let them do it any other way but on the truck & could not understand them, my m8 comes in walk's up to the Guy say's " this is the gooda way " them proceeds to explain in broken english why it's better to balance first on the machine off the truck then check balance on the truck spinning front wheels. & the guy went along with my m8.
After his boss asked him why did you talk that way? LOL , my m8 said " well he could understand me but could not understand any of you !"
i always got a laugh from that but was true, and was interesting to learn why they did it that way too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal