i30 Owners Club

... tyre pressures :-)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
<phew> computer problems have made my day a really frustrating one, it's OK now tho, I've slung it out of the winder so it'll not frustrate me anymore tonight...

Anyhow, back to serious stuff, I checked my tyre pressure today.  I have an i30 edition, which is, needless to say the finest motor care in the world.  I've read in verious threads here that some of our i30 brethren slightly over inflate for better fuel consumption.

My question is, what would be the best pressures on my i30 edition.  They're currently 40 all round?????

Thanks in advance

Asa

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
Checked mine the other night and my fronts were 34 and rears 32. This is how they were from the dealer. However the fronts look really low. I've read of some going 36 or 38 but most don't go as high as 40.
On my previous car I used 36 on one lot of tyres and 44 on different ones, I'm yet to find the 'sweet spot' on these Khumo's.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
asa, where are you?
And help me out here. What's an i30 "Edition".
I've seen a few posts here about tyre pressures and what effects you get by increasing or decreasing them but don't remember too uch about fuel consumption.
Yes, a higher pressure will marginally improve your fuel consumption but the usual reason for it is for better handling, particularly steering response.
Vehicle manufacturers habitually recommend the towards the lower end of the acceptable pressure range as this gives a "cushier" ride. Upping your pressures will improve handling, slightly reduce operating temperature (giving better tread life) and in most circumstances provide better, more even tread wear.
36 psi will generally achieve all this although some are running 38 and 40.
At 40 you are pretty close to negating the benefits by reducing the tyre's footprint on the road.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'm running 36 all round and get excellent fuel economy, and yet the smooth ride is not compromised for UK roads.

I've tried a few variations, mostly to try and improve the wet weather handling on the front tyres, but we haven't had any rain for what seems like months.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Surfer dude...  I'm in the UK, Manchester to be precise, and the i30 edition is, well, the most fantastic car on the road  8) 8) 8).

In reality, it's just an i30 with a few bells and whistles like, alloys all round, smoky glass in the rear, fog lamps, leather steering wheel, chrome shiny gear nob and, well ya gets the picture dontcha. Not too sure about the smoky glass in the rear <looks odd me thinks> and the fog lamps, well we don't really get any fog nowadays, now when I wer a lad we used to get pea soupers. The fog back then was so thick the wife had to get out and hold on to the nearside mirror and talk you along the curbs edge, these younguns don't know what fog is  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tyre pressures
Thanks for the answers, that's been a big help.  I thought forty was a bit on the high side, but the first two I check were in that ball park from the dealer so I just evened them all out to  forty.  I shall go out today and drop them all to 36'ish and see how we go at that.

I've noticed also that I am still either stalling or over revving when pulling away<not every time>, either the gas pedal is so sensitive that I am taking a long time to adjust to it, or, I am just a dumbassed old fart who's lost his mojo.  Probably the later I think,

Asa

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep. I get the picture. Sounds like a good car.
Mine has fog lamps too. Comes as part of the $A400 Cruise Control package. :question:
And we don't get too much fog here in SE Qld (except this morning :-[). But I do think they look a lot better than a couple of blank holes. So on aesthetics, they win.
I think you'll be happy with 36 psi.
Re the stalling/ over-revving, I seem to remember some previous discussion about this. It was related to the smaller petrol engine cars (not the 2.0 litre).
However, I have had to re-adjust how I use the clutch compared to my Subaru.
Taking off I need to make sure my heel is in touch with the floor until the clutch starts to take up the free play. That means I leave my heel on the floor and bend my ankle upwards. It's how I taught all my kids to drive manuals and they still do it but i was getting lazy. I think the Subaru clutch pedal may have been positioned slightly better to do this and I sort of lost it a bit when I changed cars.
Got it pretty right now, though.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Several people have reported the stalling "issue" on the 1.4 petrol, there is a long thread on it somewhere, but I think the concencus is it's a function of a lightweight flywheel, and very little intervention from anti-stall. Most people seem to get used to eventually, a few more revs will help.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Most of the petrol owners have commented on it, no matter the engine size, I stalled my 1.6 more times than I care to remember in the first few weeks of ownership :-[ :-[
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Mine has fog lamps too. Comes as part of the $A400 Cruise Control package. :question:
And we don't get too much fog here in SE Qld (except this morning :-[). But I do think they look a lot better than a couple of blank holes. So on aesthetics, they win.
Re the stalling/ over-revving, I seem to remember some previous discussion about this. It was related to the smaller petrol engine cars (not the 2.0 litre).
Taking off I need to make sure my heel is in touch with the floor until the clutch starts to take up the free play. That means I leave my heel on the floor and bend my ankle upwards. It's how I taught all my kids to drive manuals and they still do it but i was getting lazy. I think the Subaru clutch pedal may have been positioned slightly better to do this and I sort of lost it a bit when I changed cars.

Oh that's good to know surferdude...  I'll try to use that technique and see if I can pull away more smoothly....
And your right, the look of the car is much improved by the fog lamps...
OK I'm off to get some breakfast, I guess that's supper time for you  :) :) :) :) :)

A

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Bumkin.... Thanks for that, very reassuring...

One day we'll all be 'driving gods' I guess

A

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Oh that's good to know surferdude...  I'll try to use that technique and see if I can pull away more smoothly....
And your right, the look of the car is much improved by the fog lamps...
OK I'm off to get some breakfast, I guess that's supper time for you  :) :) :) :) :)

A

Pretty much.
We had T-bone steaks and veges for dinner.
Supper soon - toasted crumpets and ice cream and honey. 8)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Stuff the rest of this thread.. I like the bit where ASA threw his 'puter out the winder.... You crack me up  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Diesels have anti stall on them I  :)

Checked mine 36 all round tyres wearing well fronts more than rears might think about rotating them at the 1st service only done 5000mls so far.

i30Sean

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
ijust checked my tyre pressure and the rear was wearing in center so dropped my rear pressure to 34psi and front to 36psi. i'll be driving over the mountains for the weekend and weather cold here. i think i have about 10,000k wear left at the most. so will need new tyres soon. where or who stock Kumho in Sydney?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
NSW list here.
http://www.kumho.com.au/nsw_dealers.htm
Looks like most if not all the Tyrepower stores have them.
And K Mart Tyre & Auto also have them but aren't listed above

I notice Kumho also have a road hazard warranty in Australia. Only $3.95 but only covers the first 25% of tread life. Not sure if it covers punctures either, but it is FOC replacement.

If you pm me where you are in Sydney, I may be able to recommend a couple of dealers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal