i30 Owners Club

NEW WHEELS

balzerVRS · 39 · 12634

Offline balzerVRS

• 1st Gear
Has anyone any idea if kia ceed wheels fit i30 16 inch????

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
i don't know the answer, I'm sure someone will!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We don't get the ceed over here but I'd bet money they would fit (seeing that they are virtually clones)

Most Tyre/wheel sellers over here have info on what fits what so you could check with a few of yours (I'm sure one will be able to help)

Cheers, Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline balzerVRS

• 1st Gear
Regarding that poll thing. this is my 1st post and no clue to post this,just the basic stuff.

Anyway I was thinking getting a set of wheels for this winter with WINTER tyres on themas cheap as possible, , as I had a very bad experience last winter, with the Snow.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
yea. shall do,
both manufacturer's use a 5x 114.3 fitment :)
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I am about to fit these Kia Wheels to the i30 -

You mention 16", but these Wheels are 17". Think they are off a Cerato or Forte.

Would have had them fitted already - but came across a problem with the centre caps. The ones that came with the Wheels have Kia written on them, so bought a new set of Hyundai centre caps. When the caps arrived i found them to be too big for the Kia rims. No returns were possible so i sanded them down around the edges and cut off the retaining springs. Will just glue the Hyundai caps on after the Wheelas are fitted.

Rocket.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Why not just sand the "Kia" off the originals and then repaint to match the wheels?  :-\

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I am about to fit these Kia Wheels to the i30 -

You mention 16", but these Wheels are 17". Think they are off a Cerato or Forte.

Would have had them fitted already - but came across a problem with the centre caps. The ones that came with the Wheels have Kia written on them, so bought a new set of Hyundai centre caps. When the caps arrived i found them to be too big for the Kia rims. No returns were possible so i sanded them down around the edges and cut off the retaining springs. Will just glue the Hyundai caps on after the Wheelas are fitted.

Rocket.

Rocket, you've probably considered this but gluing the caps on will mean they will be very hard to balance.
Have had lots of experience with glued on caps and they almost always break every time you want to remove them for  balancer.
Trev

But, damn they're nice wheels. :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Sorry for late reply.

Kia Ceed alloy's (all of them 15-17") fit 100% on Hyundai i30 and i30CW. I had 16" from Ceed on my i30.

The ones above look like they are from Sorento? They should fit regarding center hole and the "holes pattern" (5×114,3) but you shuld check the offset (ET). It if's too small, they will stick out, if it's too big, they will rub inside. Though i think they'll be ok.

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

I paid $80 for the centre caps and was made aware that there are no returns on them if they did not fit. The new caps have the Hyundai logo on them so i would prefer to modify these and just glue them on. They will have brand new tyres fitted and probably would not need to be re balanced for a long time.

Plan B is to do as rustynutz suggested and sand off the kia writing on the old ones.

Have checked the offset and it is fine for the i30.

Big question now is which tyres to have fitted? Leaning toward the Dunlop SP Sports due to good reports of them being quiet tyres that will last for about 60,000 klm. Anybody have opinions on the best tyres to use?

Rocket.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have Dunlop SP Sport 300E on my Hybrid and they are very quiet.. :D

As regards the Caps. My m8 has a Laser cutting machine which would/can cut to very fine tolerances (trim a bit off the Hyundai caps if they are toobig) and could also put a Hyundai Logo on the old caps if you sanded the Kia off.. I imagine someone nearer you woulld have a similar machine... :idea:

Somewhere on here there are caps he made for at least two of my previous cars..

Here it is..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2768.msg25491#msg25491

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I paid $80 for the centre caps and was made aware that there are no returns on them if they did not fit. The new caps have the Hyundai logo on them so i would prefer to modify these and just glue them on. They will have brand new tyres fitted and probably would not need to be re balanced for a long time.

Plan B is to do as rustynutz suggested and sand off the kia writing on the old ones.

Have checked the offset and it is fine for the i30.

Big question now is which tyres to have fitted? Leaning toward the Dunlop SP Sports due to good reports of them being quiet tyres that will last for about 60,000 klm. Anybody have opinions on the best tyres to use?

Rocket.

Hi Rocket, wheel/tyre assemblies should be rebalanced every 10,000 klms.  Now, most people don't do this but imbalance can cause uneven wear problems and once the rubbe ris worn off, you can't replace it so you end up "living" with a vibration for the rest of the life of the tyre.
That's worst case scenario, I know, but it's worth considering.
Now, re Dunlop SP Sports. Can you be more specific?
There are numereous ones - for instance,
Sports Maxx
Sports 300e
Sport 01
Sport 200e
Sport 270
Sport 3000
Sport 2050.

Some will be quiet and wear well, some won't.
Also, what country are you in?

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Hey Dazzler, That is pretty impressive. Fortunately i have my own CNC Router which i could use for a similar result -

We actually have 3 of these CNC Routers. Check out my Thread on CNCzone.com
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chinese_machines/86978-jinan_quick_cnc_router_purchases.html

Not sure i want to get that fancy with the caps. It only took about 10 minutes to modify each one. good enough for the purpose. Thanks for the info.

Surferdude, The specific tyres under consideration were the SP 300E and 200E. This arvo i logged onto tirerack.com and checked out many tyre reviews. From the reviews i am now very confused. seems one mans meat is another mans poison. Some say the 300E is a noisy tyre - but Dazzler states that his are quiet.

This car will probably only be used as a car to drive to work and back - a distance of 20klm, and a general runabout. All of this on good bitumen roads around Adelaide. For country work i drive a Statesman which just had TEO Toyos fitted. Quite impressed with the Toyos, but no need to spend the $840 on tyres for the i30. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Rocket.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very Interesting.. I had a look at that link.. So it is a Computer controlled Router?

It might be the design of the Hybrid that makes the 300E tyres seem so quiet? THey have made a big effort to reduce noise .. (although my friend's base model, older camry is not that noisy either.. not sure what tyres he has though) :cool:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK Rocket. Thanks for the info.
I would have to say the 300e is a VERY quiet and smooth riding tyre.
Let me back that up with a little personal info. I am Goodyear through and through. So is my wife. However, these days Goodyear owns Dunlop (effectively - although the degree of control varies depending on which world market you are in).
Anyway, I always prefer Goodyear and my wife told a very high ranking executive one time VERY firmly that  she would NEVER have a Dunlop on her car (she actually inherited that attitude from her father when she was growing up).
However, right now she has four Dunlops on her Corolla ( 2 of the original 2050's and 2 - 300e's) and she's very happy with them.
So I'm happy to recommend them. I've certainly sold plenty of them in recent years and never had a noise complaint.

Re the forums, as you say, "another man's poison".
I'm not a lover of forums for feedback as too often they get taken over by negative comments. In my experience, people who are happy with a product just get on with their lives, whereas the unhappy ones - often people who didn't / wouldn't take advice from someone who should know, seem to want to tell the world what poor judges of quality they are.

i30 forum members excluded of  course.

The 300e isn't the cheapest tyre around but if you shop around I'm sure you can get a good deal.
All the best

Trev

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Dazzler, Yes it can be controlled directly from the computer or via a usb stick. The machines run on G Code.
We have a cad/cam program called V Carve Pro from Vectric. The design work is done within the program, then toolpathed and converted to G Code for the machine.

Well i am going to take the advice of you guys and go with the SP Sports 300E tyres. Will shop around and see what price i can get. A friend had a set of 200E tyres fitted to his car just before xmas. From memory he only paid about $160 per tyre, although i expect the 300E are a bit more expensive.

Thankyou Dazzler and Surferdude. Appreciate your input and suggestions.

Rocket.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Rocket, the 200e is an older and (should be) cheaper tyre.
I don't have access to a price list at present but the 17" will be more expensive.
A thought. I can't recall if they're available in a 45 series 17".
I rather think they are designed as a "family" tyre and I'm not sure they go down that low. Hope I'm wrong.

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Oh shyte. Complications. Bugger.

If they are not available in 45 series what would be your next choice?

Prime considerations are quiet and comfortable. Wife is pretty crook at the moment and feels every bump on the road.

Thanks.

Rocket.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hmmm?
Just done some googling and I think within the Dunlop range you're going to be limited to the Sport Maxx, the Sport Maxx TT and the SP3000A (in only the 215.45R17). The other 2 are available in all three common 45 series 17".

In the goodyear range you have a couple of Eagle F1 options and the Goodyear "Excellence". All will be expensive and only the Excellence will give you the comfort you want. And I think almost anything with a brand name on it will be about the same -The Toyos may well fit into your price comparison.

If you came into my store with those wheels I'd be going for the Excellence, a Toyo or possibly a Yokohama.

Although there's been some discussion on here, I reckon the best size is 225/45R17 which is pretty much identical to the 205/55R16 standard tyre. There's only .3" difference in the circumference, whereas with the more popular 235/45R17 the difference is 1.4"

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I wonder if balzerVRS has got his answer yet :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Sorry for late reply.

Kia Ceed alloy's (all of them 15-17") fit 100% on Hyundai i30 and i30CW. I had 16" from Ceed on my i30.

The ones above look like they are from Sorento? They should fit regarding center hole and the "holes pattern" (5×114,3) but you shuld check the offset (ET). It if's too small, they will stick out, if it's too big, they will rub inside. Though i think they'll be ok.

Shambles, accim replied in the affirmative as above on the 24th december, so yes - balzerVRS has his answer.

Surferdude, Thanks for the info - will look into it next week.

Rocket.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Shambles, accim replied in the affirmative as above on the 24th december, so yes - balzerVRS has his answer.

Yes, I know :rolleyes:

I just hope, if he ever returns to this thread, that his head doesn't explode with information overload ;) (all interesting I have to admit)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Yes, I know :rolleyes:

I just hope, if he ever returns to this thread, that his head doesn't explode with information overload ;) (all interesting I have to admit)

Yeah. We did get a bit off topic (I prefer to think we "developed" the topic.  :wink:
Maybe it should be in the Tyres thread, too but not till balzer returns or he may not be able to find it.

OMG! How did I get to be a moderator of the Tyres thread???? :scared:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Maybe it should be in the Tyres thread, too but not till balzer returns or he may not be able to find it.

Yep seems sensible. I'll subscribe balzerVRS to this topic so he'll get an email as to where it's gone :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

It's a kind of punishment :P  Enjoy :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

he only just realised.  :rofl: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

he only just realised.  :rofl: :mrgreen:

Shut up you. At least I didn't go round chasing my tail opening the same topic five times.  :rolleyes: :lol: :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :tomato: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ban Button!

Where's my "Ban" button?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal