i30 Owners Club

09CW FD Rear cigarette lighter port

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi all, I want to add a rear facing dash cam to my 09 CW, cheapest way rather then buying a whole new dual camera system is to buy a stand alone cam and wire it in.  There is a 12v cigarette socket on the side wall of the boot area, however its powered all the time, I need to change it to start/stop with the ignition.  Anyone done this previously or know where I could pick up a 12v line in the area that is powered this way?

• 2009 FD cw Wagon, petrol 2L, Auto, White

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, and it's not the rear lighter port you'll want. I powered mine from the overhead lighting circuit. The only thing that connects at the back is the line that senses your reverse light coming on, so I tapped that off the rear right reverse lamp.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
OK, so your rear cam is powered off the tailgate 12v sources only?  That would be a very neat system without additional wires anywhere.
I was thinking off tapping off the front cig lighter fuse with an adaptor and running a single + cable down to the back (tucked under door sill trims) , I presume any ground wire should do.  But then I still have the problem of the cam cables them selves and having to run then thru the hinge area, but I think there is plenty of room to hide the cables once I remove some trim.

• 2009 FD cw Wagon, petrol 2L, Auto, White

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just about the opposite of what you read there. My rear camera is a tiny black thing mounted between the license plate lenses and fed through the edge of one of them back to the screen.
ns
The screen is invisibly built into a clip-on rear view mirror.
ns
Hence, the mirror is close to the overhead supply and all cables are invisible. The cable that runs out to the camera runs inside the roof liner to the driver's door lock pillar and then channels down under the passenger step sill, over the wheel arch and out to the rear bumper. The reverse signal line follows the same path to the reverse lamp.
Most satisfying, least noticeable mod I've ever done - and I've done lots! :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal