i30 Owners Club

Battery replacement/Radio code

Offline BigWittyMang

• 1st Gear
Hello,

I have a 2012 i30 GD active 1.8L G4NB with GD-01 touchscreen radio. I would like to replace my battery but I’m worried I’ll need a radio code afterwards and other setup. I didn’t find the code in my manual. The current battery is over 5 years old and has been tested as “low” separately by the dealer and a car parts shop. Some posts here alluded to no issues with battery replacement, memory held up long enough while battery being replaced. I have seen battery saver obd2 and cigarette lighter adapters. I believe the cigarette lighter is only live with accessories switched to ON on the ignition.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Will I run into radio code issues if I replace the battery? Do you recommend a memory saver device, if yes, which type?

Thanks,
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I don't recall any i30 model has a manual code - they are coded to the BCM.

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
There are no codes on factory fitted radio’s and they are not coded to the BCM..

The only Hyundai that would need a radio code is the NF Sonata.. The code being the last 4 digits of the VIN, assuming it is the radio fitted at the factory

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
There are no codes on factory fitted radio’s and they are not coded to the BCM..

The only Hyundai that would need a radio code is the NF Sonata.. The code being the last 4 digits of the VIN, assuming it is the radio fitted at the factory

Not sure where OP lives, but Many FDs had the code, not GDs. If your region is using codes, use last 4 digits of radio serial number, NOT Vin#. add 1212 to digits to get code.  BCM is not involved.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline BigWittyMang

• 1st Gear
Thanks guys. For my radio serial number it looks like I’d need to remove the radio to get it off the sticker, the device menu did not provide it. Haven’t removed it before, wanted to avoid if possible. Will change the battery and see how I go thanks.

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Not sure where OP lives, but Many FDs had the code, not GDs. If your region is using codes, use last 4 digits of radio serial number, NOT Vin#. add 1212 to digits to get code.  BCM is not involved.
OOPS Sorry I forgot this is a WorldWide forum and each market differs..

I am in the UK

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks guys. For my radio serial number it looks like I’d need to remove the radio to get it off the sticker, the device menu did not provide it. Haven’t removed it before, wanted to avoid if possible. Will change the battery and see how I go thanks.

Australian GD i30’s don’t require a code, all that is lost during battery replacement is stored radio stations.

Offline BigWittyMang

• 1st Gear

Australian GD i30’s don’t require a code, all that is lost during battery replacement is stored radio stations.
Correct! After replacement I lost:
Radio
-Radio stations (BSM wouldn’t tune any in either, had to do each one manually but my first drive was in the hills)
-Time had jumped 55 minutes ahead of actual time
Dash
-Fuel economy l/100km
-Time driven hours/mins

Appeared to be the original battery, 8 years is an excellent run if that is the case.

Thanks again

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal