New i30 - First Full Road Test by Autocar Magazine UK

AlanHo · 39 · 12291

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The UK Autocar Magazine possibly carries out the most detailed and thorough road tests of cars compared with other popular motoring magazines. This week it was the turn of the new i30 which they give a glowing report on - but with a twist in the tail.

You may recall from my own report on testing the new car that I referred to the bias of the motoring press and how they put the VW Group and Ford cars on the top of the podium and find ways to keep them there.

The Autocar road test is a fine example of this - they spend several pages praising the new i30 and then rather cleverly conjure up the words to put it in its place at the bottom of the podium. There is more than a slight whiff in the air of rank stinking bias in favour of the "big guys". One is left to wonder what motivates media journalists and why we are not surprised there is such a fuss in the UK about the honesty of the popuar press.

I have the full road test as published in the paper magazine which includes drawings of the car, full specs, technical data and more pictures - but here is the abridged version on their web site which includes enough to make my point.

http://tinyurl.com/7v9jlcf
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've driven the new i30, petrol 1.4, and I can say without a hint of bias that it a great car to drive.

I had the Active and the spec was brill for the £££££.

I took along my neighbour who is into cars.  For his sins he owns an Vauxhall Astra and he was so impressed with it he had a long chat to the sales guy.   
He's not in the market for a new car just yet but he said he had been looking at other marques and he felt that the Hy brand had really up their image and unfortunately the ££££.

He also had a drive of the i40 and was so made up with the gadgets I just left him to it while I went and checked out the Veloster.

To be honest I didn't really get the idea of the 1 door on the driver side and the 2 on the passenger side.

I felt that if you had 2 in the back it was a bit tight to get in and shuffle across.  Also, the headroom wasn't high so you would have to be a "little" person to be comfy .
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
    Verdict

The new i30 is a solid improvement on its already decent predecessor, and with a cast-iron five-year warranty and an affordable price tag, it is worthy of wider consideration. So why only three and a half stars? Well, the shortfall is not now in quality, but in progress. The car is another fine facsimile of a European model – imitating the comfort, refinement and confidence better than ever – but this also completely cauterises any flicker of originality or endeavour that might have made the i30 a smidgen less forgettable.

Thus the game plan elucidated by the original car has not moved on; Hyundai has simply got better at accomplishing it. We would have preferred it if the firm had ditched its deference to VW and Ford and injected some of its own ideas into the mould. Perhaps then the result would have been a potential class leader instead of a persuasive appeal to common sense.

They seem to be proponents of the "progress for progress's sake" philosophy.
No doubt there are plenty of potential buyers out there who also fit that profile however, it seems to me Hyundai is following a better business model, that of providing the best possible car at the right price and appeal to the masses, not the early adopters.
Fine by me.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wish the author's of surferdude's extract were here to be interviewed. At the end of the day, it's a car. What exactly is their definition of "moving on". What new devices are they expecting that would set this car apart.

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I wish the author's of surferdude's extract were here to be interviewed. At the end of the day, it's a car. What exactly is their definition of "moving on". What new devices are they expecting that would set this car apart.

I invite members to consider things the I30 doesn't have & post them in this thread. I'll start the ball rolling with these items. I do ask that you consider the pricing impact and add only if you think the buying public would be prepared to pay the increased price.

4 wheel drive
HID lights with levellers
LED lights in ALL light fittings & tail lights (no more bulbs anywhere).
Turn indicator on outside mirrors standard.
Illuminated engine bay.
Woman friendly spare wheel delivery system.

Is this the sort of thing the writers were trying to convey, or have I got it wrong.  :question:
Only if Ford and VW have all those things.
But it's a good thought. Let's see where it goes.
I like 1, 4 & 5 above and would add a decent lighting system in the boot.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
surferdude,

It seems a lot of this has been previously discussed here

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11858.msg131060#msg131060

so I took my text out as I thought it was Off Topic.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:17:17 by 847563 »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
surferdude,

It seems a lot of this has been previously discussed here

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0

so I took my text out as I thought it was Off Topic.  :-[

OK.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It seems to me that as there wasn't much to criticise about the car, they had a go at the manufacturer instead.
They might be afraid of the repercussions if they put a Hyundai at the top of the list  :wink:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's the brown envelope again probably.  :fum:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

If you read their road tests of the Golf and Focus you will find that the very thing they applaud about the cars is the way the manufacturer has made careful incremental improvements without detracting from the best of the previous model.

This argument is now turned on its head and used as a criticism of Hyundai.

I am not a highly experienced car tester whose career depends on writing what the industry wants to read - I am just your average car owner who happens to have 50 years driving experience owning and/or driving a wide range of cars. I want to get about in comfort and safety in a car that is economical, has good accommodation for passengers and luggage and has the creature comforts and features that make it a pleasure to drive.

I am not interested in how it handles on the track or whether it gets to 100 mph in a split second faster than the opposition or whether it is the icon of style.

Having driven the Golf, Focus and i30 - all fine cars - I find it difficult to accept the position they have given the i30 in their ranking because it equals the others in almost every respect - has more standard features and costs one hell of a lot less with a massively better warranty.

Having said all that - I accept that no matter how good a new pretender to the throne might be - it just isn't going to happen. The motoring press are too dependent on revenue either directly or indirectly from the established brands and dare not undermine them.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've already commented on the objectiveness of non commercial revues on this forum and I stand by that. Alan, for me, it's a no brainer.  :goodjob2: I hope the general public who are looking to purchase this type of car, take the time as guests even, to read all they need to know here.  :neutral:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've already commented on the objectiveness of non commercial revues on this forum and I stand by that. Alan, for me, it's a no brainer.  :goodjob2: I hope the general public who are looking to purchase this type of car, take the time as guests even, to read all they need to know here.  :neutral:

:agreed:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Poppy Cock (they were the words that came to mind when I read their verdict at the end of that review)  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Yeah:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Poppy Cock (they were the words that came to mind when I read their verdict at the end of that review)  :fum:

Were you aware when you used this expression - more normally expressed as poppycock - that it originated as the Dutch word "pappekak" for which the literal translation is soft shit.

I thought you aught to know that............. :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Funny how the brain works it is not a word or words that I would normally use but it just pooped into my head  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Funny how the brain works it is not a word or words that I would normally use but it just pooped into my head  :disapp:

Are you sure that's what you wanted to say?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
did anyone click on the data box, #6?   :disapp:  there's no info what so ever.  :confused:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sorry, It works now.  :-[

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What do I want in a car:

Fast, stylish, nice trim, nice to drive, every gizmo known to man.

When reality hits.

Cheap to get from point a to point b, nice to live with, cheap to own, good warranty.

You can see how I got the I30, and why my next car will probably be a Hyundai as well.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
What do I want in a car:

When reality hits.

Cheap to get from point a to point b, nice to live with, cheap to own, good warranty.

You can see how I got the I30, and why my next car will probably be a Hyundai as well.
  :whsaid: our cars are our first Hyundai's ,but not the last.  :mrgreen: :happydance:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Are you sure that's what you wanted to say?  :lol:
You can bet that's EXACTLY what Dazz wanted to say. :wink:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What do I want in a car:

When reality hits.

:whsaid: our cars are our first Hyundai's ,but not the last.  :mrgreen: :happydance:

Same here. My sister in law now has one (Accent) and our daughter will almost certainly have one on th enext couple of months.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I have one and both my daughters now have Hyundais, so three in the family  :D
One i30, one Accent and one Terracan.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

In the paper magazine there are the following quotes made by two of the road testers :-

Matt Saunders states :-
We didn't have much issue with the i30's interior - but it's a shame that Hyundai's handsome seven inch multimedia screen is limited to the range topping models

Nic Cackett states :-
We can't believe that anyone actually needs access to two 12v sockets front and centre - but the symmetry is pleasing.

What a pair of plonkers. Does VW or Ford have 7" multimedia screens in their cars - yes they do - but as very expensive optional extras.
In any event - how do these plonkers expect a manufacturer to make the high-end models better than the basic ones - is it not by the addition of more bells and whistles at a higher price.

Regarding two 12v sockets - why criticise a feature that some will find useful and that neither VW or Ford provide even as options. Oh - I think I just answered my own question.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Just another example of the "very average" standard of journalism around these days, and these dudes actually draw a wage. Alan, why don't you invite them to read your review, perhaps they might learn something.

Criticism of the I30, is limited to nit picking, which is proof that they've got the I30 right.  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I use two 12v sockets every day at the same time so I'm grateful for that feature and I bet London to a brick I'm not the only one.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :whsaid: :agreed:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I use two 12v sockets every day at the same time so I'm grateful for that feature and I bet London to a brick I'm not the only one.

I also like that it has 2 sockets. Touchscreen phone + a lot of use = empty battery = recharging it in the car. 2 passengers and 2 of those phones = 2 empty batteries. My father for example uses 2 phones and when he is going on a business trip, he recharges both in the car (Santa Fe also has 2 sockets). When someone is traveling with him, they even need 3 sockets, but okay. They somehow work it out   :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal