Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Some other interesting snippets in the Autocar Road Test Report are:-

The new model is more refined than the present one due to :-
- fluid filled engine mounts which dampen vibrations and noise before it can reach the body
- hollow drive shafts reduce road roar,
- double layer door seals,
- better insulated A pillars,
- reinforced steel underbody,
- 3 new ultra high strength reinforcements running laterally between the car's suspension mountings,
- stiffened B pillars and sill sections
- Suspension is isolated from the body by bushed sub-frames. The multi-link rear suspension is as sophisticated as it comes in this class.

T
The car lapped their dry circuit in a lap time of 1 min 27.5 seconds - an identical time to the equivalent Ford Focus. The wet circuit (a shorter one) was lapped in 1 min 15.6 seconds - 0.9 seconds slower than the Focus.

The report states that
- conserving momentum is made easy by accurate (if anodyne) steering, tidy handling and generous adhesion.
- The car turns in keenly and has a strong front end and good traction.
- Shortage of steering feedback in the wet makes it hard to feel for grip but it maintains respectable apex speed,
- Chassis copes well with tight bumpy turns absorbing shocks without activating the ESP or ASR
- The i30 strikes an effective compromise between assured stability and agile response. It turns into corners keenly, hangs on hard and resists roll very well indeed, given its refinement dominated dynamic agenda. Traction is more than up to transmitting the max engine torque on corner exits, even with the stability control switched off. THe best news is the surprising subtlety of the car's ESP system. In the wet particularly, it keeps the i30's line neat and tidy by apparantly metering out power rather than reining it in, and responds quickly to remove its obstruction as soon as the car is straight and stable.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
They sound like great improvements,,,,, except the hollow drive shafts   :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It all sounds great to me Alan  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

They sound like great improvements,,,,, except the hollow drive shafts   :eek:

What is the problem with hollow drive shafts? A tube can transmit more torque than a solid bar of equal linear weight.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice post Mr Ho.

... resists roll very well indeed, given its refinement dominated dynamic agenda ...
There really was no need for them to write that waffle :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

One of my closest old friends retired recently from a life spent as a Journalist in the newspaper and magazine industry.

Like me has has a keen interest in cars - but in his case of the wrong sort - he has had a succession of Peugots - but is warming towards the i30 having been in my car numerous times.

He is well up to speed on my test of the new i30 and the magazine reports. It is comments from him related to his long experience that have made me confident to state that the UKmotoring press will not allow a new usurper to push VW and Ford off the podium. The financial and political implications for them will not allow it.

So when you question some of the waffle they print - just remember there is an agenda behind it. Hyundai must be well aware of how steep the hill is that they must climb to reach the top. THey are going to have to produce a quite remarkable car at a fantastic price to even merit consideration. being slightly better, or slightly cheaper, is not going to be good enough.

This is one of the reasons that Hyundai are attacking the fleet market with such vigour. If they can get enough fleet cars onto the motorways and cars with police badging they will be more visible to the general public - the magazine piffle will then be less damaging.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... the magazine piffle will then be less damaging.
There really was no need for you to write that waffle :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like a clever strategy Alan.. Toyota has used that ploy in Australia in years gone past  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Here's another strategy,,,,,, buy the companies  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal