i30 Owners Club

Turbo petrol engines in i20 and i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
According to one of the Danish newspapers today, Hyundai will introduce a 1.2 L turbo petrol engine in i20 and i30.

Here's the link if any of you guys can read Danish (or want to translate).

http://bt.bilen.dk/test-og-artikler/artikler/2012/03/turbo-til-sydkoreanerne/

I found this at Hyundai's website:

http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/Innovation/Technology/Powertrain/index.html
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I remember reading towards the end of last year that the new model Kia Rio is to get a 1.2 turbo petrol engine in a 'hot hatch' guise with 150ish bhp and is to be launched at some point this year so the chances are it will find its way into the i20 and i30 too.
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline swiss_i30cw

• 2nd Gear
This is a logical move and this announcement has been expected since the launch of the i-X0 family.
When the gamma, 1.6 l, 93 kW engine was launched in 1998 it was already said that the engine had a lot of margin for improvement of performance. Obviously the small kappa 1.2 engine is able to perform quite well with high ratio of power per displacement.
This is in fact the policy that has been applied by the group Volkswagen with the family of TSI engines. Unfortunately Volkswagen never introduced CVVT (Continuous Variable Valve Timing)  technology in the valve train.
Hyundai atmospheric aspirated engines did already very well without GDI technology, for example a Gamma 93 kW is equivalent for maximal power and for fuel economy to a 1.4 TSI from VW.
I suppose that Hyundai will keep the CVVT on the turbo GDI and this should give an engine able to deliver almost peak torque from 1500 rpm to 6000 rpm as well as a fuel economy much better than what is achieved with the VW TSI solution.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds exciting  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline thebutcher316

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I would've thought the i30 might've been a bit heavy for a little 1.2l and it might struggle......but then I wouldn't really know, I drive cars, but when it comes to the mechanicals, I tend not to mess around and just hand over my wallet  :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Due to the high volume of gasses and compression in our diesels, C V V T would be a fantastic advantage in these engines too, they already have 16 valves, so adjustable timing would make a great engine even greater. Bet it doesn't happen though.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal