• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks Alan.
I found the fuel conspumption of the diesel somewhat disappointing but probably not indicative.
June 1st apparently.  :happydance:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan.. But us well informed folk had pretty much worked that all out  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/hyundai-an-i-for-an-i/
Thanks Alan.

I wonder what the uprated diesel is like compared to the current one, in terms of day to day driving. Certainly I can't complain about mine, but even so, more oomph would be nice.

Still thinking about getting one of those chip kits. Should hurry up, I s'pose before they're no longer available.

Disappointing that the petrol engine is smaller. Whilst it has more kw, significantly it's down on torque, so more revv'ing to get it up and boogieing.

Annoying that some safety and performance features are to be denyed to the Australian market. But that seems to be the case with a lot of things. We tend to get the dregs or lower end products.

Not that the i30 is this, but it'd be nice to get all the optional extras and some of the standard ones, too.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I guess these guys have limited space to report in but they need to read Alan's contribution and take some lessons from him I think.

One thing, what does this mean, "an alternator management system - but not here."  :exclaim:

Does it have anything to do with Headlight problems at all  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Alternator Management System constantly monitors the state of the battery. It automatically disengages the alternator during periods of low electrical loads and a full battery charge. As a result, the load on the engine is reduced and fuel consumption lowered.

The Hyundai system may well be similar to the Volkswagen's BlueMotion diesel technology which includes regenerative braking and the activation of engine Start-Stop feature when the car sits at idle for a while or is stopped at the traffic lights. The regenerative braking uses the car's alternator and raises the polarity voltage during deceleration so as to charge the battery. During acceleration, the engine management system can set the alternator's polarity at zero, and thus reduce the drag and fuel consumption of the engine, making the full power of the engine available for acceleration while the accessories are run off the battery. VW uses a special high-capacity battery in order to store the alternator's regenerative braking energy.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I wonder what the uprated diesel is like compared to the current one, in terms of day to day driving. Certainly I can't complain about mine, but even so, more oomph would be nice.

I believe it is the same spec as the Diesel Accent is running in Oz and from the feedback we have received from a member who has had an 85Kw i30 Crdi and a 94Kw Accent CRDi there is very little difference.

From what Alan has said so far they appear to be using taller gearing in the new Model i30 so it may feel less potent by all accounts. From what I understand it is just a tweak of the same engine so the Tuning Boxes and Chips should continue unabated  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Alternator Management System constantly monitors the state of the battery. It automatically disengages the alternator during periods of low electrical loads and a full battery charge. As a result, the load on the engine is reduced and fuel consumption lowered.

First, how much energy does it take to power all of this technology? And second, how much power does it require to drive an alternator? Would it be in order of 1kw? And is this really noticeable, either on the car's performance or its fuel economy?
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Very little power to run the technology, however, in a petrol engine you do have the additional load of the ignition system which operates constantly while the engine is running. According to Alan's explanation, at times, there is no power generated and the battery is partially drained. Energy is restored to the battery on deceleration, so the physical load imposed by the alternator also assists marginally in braking too. It must make a difference or it wouldn't have been developed.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal