i30 Owners Club

60K service by local guy

Guest · 30 · 9719

Pip
I've 8 months left on the warranty and I've decided to have the last service within warranty done by an independent. I was forced a bit 'cos Hy dealer couldn't do it before W/E and I didn't want to wait.

I've supplied filters and oil (for those that wonder - Mobil 1 0w40) and await his quote. He wants to look where all the bits go to estimate his time so I'm guessing (didn't ask - didn't want to hear) it's his first i30. :undecided: What could he do wrong anyway? :wacko: Seemed like a nice bloke so I'm not expecting any trouble. :sweating:

And just for Rusty, he's gunna fit the rear sway bar. I gave up the impossible dream I could do it myself (back and knees rooted). I'm really disappointed such a simple job is beyond me but oh well we all get old I suppose. :(

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Pip

I had to have a bit of a giggle to myself when you said about getting your 60,000 k service done and you only have eight months warranty left so means your bus is just over four years old.
I've just had Cyril done,60.000k service at 14 months.Bruce will have his 60,000 at 12 mths.
Personally I would have had the service done by Hyundai,sounds like this bloke has not had much to do with the I30,not much he can stuff up,but he wont have the computer programs to run a full Global diagnostic on your car,he won't have any recalls information or access to it,from my experience Hy won't give this information out,that's the only reason I get Hy to do all my major services,once one dealer enters information of your car into the computer it is available to any Hy dealer Australia wide, as long as all your parts and oils meet Hy standards they can not refuse to use them nor void your warranty
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Pip
Yeah, I don't do too much driving these days. :-[ WRT getting the dealer to do it for the diagnostics etc, agree on that too but as I said time was against me for a W/E trip and well overdue service time-wise.

I do have a warranty problem anyway - washers don't squirt - so will take to dealer later to get the once over.

Pip
60K service plus rear sway bar

Labour  $242 - includes fitting sway bar
Bar        $200 - Ultra Racing 20mm UR-AR20-109
Oil           $70 - Mobil 1 0w40
Filters      $72 - Oil, Fuel and Air - Sydney Filter Services kit51

Total      $584 v $592 - 60K service alone from dealer.

Sounds like I got a free bar and $8 for a couple of beers tonight. :goodjob2:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
certainly sounds like a good deal, yes the Ol Hy certainly know how to charge,but on having general discussions with a dealer,they simply print out what is recommended by Hy,there is room there for each service centre to discount a service,but I've yet to come across one who is willing to do it.for instance,dealer is charged $80 for a genuine Hy fuel filter,but they charge us $130, pretty good mark up if you ask me,there is just one case of where they could take a little less profit and thus pass on a substainial discount on just one item,I bought four genuine Hy centre hubs to replace the centre hubs of my new mags,I was charged by Hy a little under $30 per centre cap,I had looked online I could have bought them in from Korea(still genuine Hy) for $7 a piece,but as I had already ordered them from Northam,I am not one to back out on my comittment,so there's a mark up of over 300%
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Pip
And now I've picked it up and have seen the breakdown, the total cost for the 60K service on its own was $324.

The labour was set as $181.50 for 1.5 hours and much of that time would have been fitting the fuel filter... looks a bugger to get at that.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day Rick,

From memory you can land a Genuine I30 diesel filter from the UK for around $55 so I dare say Hyundai's mark up is higher.

My vehicle has only been near the dealer for the 1000k service and the replacement of the brake switch. Other than that, it has been with my local bloke, and the savings are huge. By law Hyundai must let me know of recalls, and I worked out the brake switch problem from reading posts on here. 

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
By law Hyundai must let me know of recalls

Interesting comment.
Do they ever?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
And now I've picked it up and have seen the breakdown, the total cost for the 60K service on its own was $324.

The labour was set as $181.50 for 1.5 hours and much of that time would have been fitting the fuel filter... looks a bugger to get at that.
.first time I did a fuel filter after watching the tutorial on here it only took 40 minutes,next one I did for a friend was 35 minutes,when you have everything on hand and know which wires,bolts to take out it's fairly easy

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Interesting comment.

Recalls? they have to advertise, write to owners etc.

We get plenty of Ford, Holden and Toyota recalls at work. All send letters to owners.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've never had one from Hyundai.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Interesting comment.

Only time I have been notified of a recall is when they have done one of the services for me,I was told the only way you will be notified of a recall is if you take you car to a Hy service centre,other than that they will not notify you,who do you believe.

after the few kurt letters I have sent them in the past 14 months,I no longer get emailed the Hyundai news I signed up for,or any letters from them with their offers

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Are you talking field service updates whereby they fix bits and pieces because it will cost them more if it breaks later or full on recalls.

The I30 has not been subject to a full recall, but other Hyundai's have

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/952887/fromItemId/952855

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And just for Rusty, he's gunna fit the rear sway bar. I gave up the impossible dream I could do it myself (back and knees rooted). I'm really disappointed such a simple job is beyond me but oh well we all get old I suppose. :(

I know how you feel, pip..... :-[

Btw, I'm looking forward to hearing how much difference this thicker bar makes,,,, :goodjob:

Pip
I know how you feel, pip..... :-[
At least I know I'm not alone.  :D
Btw, I'm looking forward to hearing how much difference this thicker bar makes,,,, :goodjob:
I'm heading down the Great Ocean Road to the folky at Port Fairy this W/E. Lotsa tight bends... I'll let you know but so far just rolling around the 'burbs; no change at all.  Of course, none is likely until I offer some differential stress. I'm not expecting too much to be honest, I'm prepared for disappointment. Anything short of at least incipient oversteer will probably leave me sorry I didn't follow through with the fatter bar.

We'll see... If there is anything to talk about I'll start another thread to discuss. Standby. :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

I know how you feel,I was going to do a transmission this long weekend,but after tying to get down on the ground to see what I needed,I just managed to drag myself back onto my feet and stumbled back indoors,even getting hard to train the dog's these days

Pip
I know how you feel.
Even more empathy... thank you... all we need is Surfer to join and we can have a love-in. :-[ Oh, not forgetting Alan although despite his advancing years looks like a skinny bastard and probably has no idea what we are on about. :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I know how you feel.
Even more empathy... thank you... all we need is Surfer to join and we can have a love-in. :-[ Oh, not forgetting Alan although despite his advancing years looks like a skinny bastard and probably has no idea what we are on about. :whistler:
:whistler:
I still do the services on my wife's Corolla and did my daughter's car as well until she bought a new Accent last year.
But I know what you mean. I'm a bit slow getting to my feet on my surfboard these days. :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!!

The Chubby Chariot is almost due for it's 60,000 km service, so I thought I'd ring around and get a few quotes.  The first was the local Hyundai dealer in Hobart (for those Tasmanians on the forum, Motors), their quote was $690!!  I then thought that I should give my local mechanic the work if he was competitive (Repco Service Centre), after all support local business and all that (he supports my son's football team).  His quote was $400 for the same service (he is providing all of the filters, oil, etc.).

I've decided to go with the Hyundai dealer, because if the local business doesn't put a big enough mark up on the same work, how is he supposed to earn a decent living and sponsor my son's team?  And with the Hyundai dealer I would have to get a loan car (at $27 a day +20c per km, that wasn't in the quote last time), whereas Mrs FatBoy can drop the car off in the morning and walk home.  She said she doesn't want to walk 700m home!!

Only joking.  Local mechanic it is.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!!

The Chubby Chariot is almost due for it's 60,000 km service, so I thought I'd ring around and get a few quotes.  The first was the local Hyundai dealer in Hobart (for those Tasmanians on the forum, Motors), their quote was $690!!  I then thought that I should give my local mechanic the work if he was competitive (Repco Service Centre), after all support local business and all that (he supports my son's football team).  His quote was $400 for the same service (he is providing all of the filters, oil, etc.).

I've decided to go with the Hyundai dealer, because if the local business doesn't put a big enough mark up on the same work, how is he supposed to earn a decent living and sponsor my son's team?  And with the Hyundai dealer I would have to get a loan car (at $27 a day +20c per km, that wasn't in the quote last time), whereas Mrs FatBoy can drop the car off in the morning and walk home.  She said she doesn't want to walk 700m home!!

Only joking.  Local mechanic it is.

Jamie is he able to do the full Global Diagnostic(and any recalls if any),that is the only reason I use Hy for the Majors and supplier my own consumables.

Offline escusemay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I'm approaching the 60K mark on my CRDi auto and called up a local Hy dealer in Brisbane.

I was quoted $690.50. Below are a breakdown of the costs (approx):

Sump plug $4
Engine oil filter $38
Air filter $40
Fuel Filter $138
Brake fluid $16
Injector cleaner $14
Windscreen washer fluid $2.50
Environmental levy $5.50
Miscellaneous $9
Engine oil $82

Labour (2.5 hours) $312.50

The underlined ones are the ones I can probably source from elsewhere. Haven't really seen much info on here about brake fluid and injector cleaner
  • i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'm approaching the 60K mark on my CRDi auto and called up a local Hy dealer in Brisbane.

Sump plug $4
Engine oil filter $38
Air filter $40
Fuel Filter $138
Brake fluid $16
Injector cleaner $14
Environmental levy $5.50
Miscellaneous $9
Engine oil $82

The underlined ones are the ones I can probably source from elsewhere. Haven't really seen much info on here about brake fluid and injector cleaner

$125 per hour for labour....Says it all really, there mechanics (or more correctly apprentice mechanics) not Doctors.....I got my 60k service done by the local bloke. His labour and my parts. Both combined were less than their labour cost.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Jamie is he able to do the full Global Diagnostic(and any recalls if any),that is the only reason I use Hy for the Majors and supplier my own consumables.

I was told by my local Hyundai dealer that they never put a car on the Diagnostic machine unless a Customer requests it for a fault or they discover one themselves.

And re-calls are dealt with regardless.

So dealers IMO are over-rated unless your car is having some real difficulties, then a dealer is a god-send.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I agree with you on that one, Keith.  The car is just having a service, not major repairs.  The service by the local mechanic covers what is required to keep the warranty.  I see it as a no brainer.  Besides, $290 buys a lot of beer!!

I had the car in for the service yesterday, don't know the final cost as they send out the bill.  When we had the Terracan serviced by the same guy, he quoted $300 but it came out at $199.  I hope it is similar this time.

Offline escusemay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Main reason I wanted to go to the dealer for the 60K was to activate HALO and also update any firmware (ECU/Radio etc).

Do you guys know whether I can instead just turn up and get them to do that for me for free? If so, then I'd definitely go with my local mechanic for the service.
  • i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Jamie, I take all my own consumables to Hy,cut the cost of servicing in half.

escusemay I have taken my cars to Hy and often asked them to check this that or the other,when I do get the majors done by Hy I insist on having a Global diagnostic done and any updates.

beerman yes not many true mechanics being trained any more(other than large machinery,mining and shipping), more like fitter technicians,mind you having said that The dealer I use has a good bloke now a days,he actually goes looking for a problem, not just fixing what the computer tells him to fix,Mind you I have found he can't tidy up after himself if he goes under the dash,but he did fix what all the younger blokes couldn't find(in 14 months) and said was not there because it did not show up as a fault on the computer

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Main reason I wanted to go to the dealer for the 60K was to activate HALO and also update any firmware (ECU/Radio etc).

Do you guys know whether I can instead just turn up and get them to do that for me for free? If so, then I'd definitely go with my local mechanic for the service.

They can do that at any time when it's not being serviced, even if they want you to book it in.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Sump plug $4
Engine oil filter $38
Air filter $40
Fuel Filter $138
Brake fluid $16
Injector cleaner $14
Environmental levy $5.50
Miscellaneous $9
Engine oil $82

$125 per hour for labour....Says it all really, there mechanics (or more correctly apprentice mechanics) not Doctors.....I got my 60k service done by the local bloke. His labour and my parts. Both combined were less than their labour cost.

The dealers have a big shed full of stuff to help get the work done. Someone has to pay for it. Of course the mechanic does as well I suppose.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

I know how you feel,I was going to do a transmission this long weekend,but after tying to get down on the ground to see what I needed,I just managed to drag myself back onto my feet and stumbled back indoors,even getting hard to train the dog's these days

How old are you Blokes? LOL
My 93 year old Dad was concreating yesturday & fixing lawn mowers, can't stop him.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

How old are you Blokes? LOL
My 93 year old Dad was concreating yesturday & fixing lawn mowers, can't stop him.

Not as old as your dad, only in my case my mispent youth is catching up with me, I'm pretty sure I have told the story before, but in 76 a car decided to use my motorbike(and body) as a target,hence creating a fair bit of structural damage, I still will tackle anything, just takes me longer  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal