i30 Owners Club

TA Radio problem

SimonU · 55 · 28293

Offline SimonU

• 1st Gear
Hi,

My TA function on the radio only seems to work now and again. When TA is selected the radio seems every now again (presumably when a TA message should come through) to suffer two short mutes (1 sec each), but it does not tune to the station with the TA.

Anybody else had TA problems in the UK

Thanks

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Never had any problem Simon, was unaware however that it would find and tune to a TA announcement, I thought it simply observed the station (Or network) you were on then displayed TRAFFIC in the LCD when a TA was on that station. 

That is how mine seems to work in Scotland, the BBC announcements cut in over the USB if I am on a BBC station when I switch it to AUX, but I don't get the Beeb announcments if I have been on local radio.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi SimonU and welcome to the club :)

As Mr Bumpkin said, the TA selection only refers to the station to which you are tuned, or were tuned before switching audio sources (eg CD, USB, iPod).

It works on the basis of a "TA flag" which the radio station instructs their transmitter to switch on when they're about to broadcast traffic info. When a station send such a message there will be one, two or three beeps (or short mutes as you put it) as the RDS picks up the switch and flips to the announcement on the channel you are/were tuned to.

HTH
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I just found this US patent which describes a device that can do a multi-frequency scan/search for a TA-enabled station, if the current one doesn't have TA capability.

It sort of implies that the i30 won't have it, unless licensed by the patent owner...

US Patent 6240280 - Selection of traffic capable station by RDS radio while listening to other media

By monitoring the flags of a traffic capable station in the background while the audio system reproduces audio signals from other media, it is possible for the audio system to automatically switch to the traffic announcement when one is present thereby keeping the driver of a vehicle informed of traffic developments while driving. Whenever listening to an audio source which is not a traffic capable broadcast station, a search strategy must be adopted to find an appropriate broadcast station to be monitored in the background. If the last broadcast station to which the tuner was tuned before switching to the alternate media is not a traffic capable station, then a different station must be selected automatically by the receiver. Prior art receivers typically perform a standard station scan to find an RDS station transmitting the TP flag and have used either the first traffic capable station which is found or the strongest traffic capable station found during a search of the complete band.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome SimonU

No probs with mine. 
TA works fine.

Can be a pain sometimes when you listening to something interesting.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the club SimonU

Ta for that info guys... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Weston Coyney

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Staffordshire
Yes, Simon U, mine does exactly the same, even down to the fairly exact one second gaps. It's really irritating if you're trying to listen to a speech programme. My 1.6 CRDi Auto is now six weeks old. I reported problem to my dealership last week and they fitted a new head unit within two days (apparently there is a tech bulletin on this). Great service, but the bad news is the problem is still there. I do now get traffic announcements sometimes but the reception breaks are still there, although seemingly shorter than with the original unit. I haven't told them yet!
I would guess this is a generic problem with these radios and it possibly won't be easily cured. I have a technical engineering background so I understand a bit about how these things work. I've already covered over 3000 miles in the car so have tried reception in many different areas of the country and it does not change.
It's possible that there may not be too many complaints about this because it seems quite a lot of customers don't even know about TA, let alone how to use it!
For the last eleven years I have been driving for a main car/van dealership (not Hyundai!) driving up to 1000 miles a week. Consequently I have tried many different radios in many different vehicles and never come across a problem like this before.

Offline greenspot

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stockport

• Stockport UK. 2012 1.4 Classic Petrol Steel Grey
I am having the same problem with TA not working and only getting short interruptions and no announcement. Previous cars . Fiesta for 6 years ans Astra for 7 worked fine.
As an earlier reply suggested this is a known problem I will try my dealer.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
The TA signal is transmitted by the radio stations. Mine works OK but it's so anoying I turned it off !! You can set the TA volume seperatly in the set-up menu.

I thought it picked up on any 'local' broadcast and wasn't just dependant on the station you are tuned into

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The TA signal is transmitted by the radio stations. Mine works OK but it's so anoying I turned it off !! You can set the TA volume seperatly in the set-up menu.

I thought it picked up on any 'local' broadcast and wasn't just dependant on the station you are tuned into

It definitely should switch to any station the radio can receieve that turns on the TA signal. I drive a lot on motorways here in the UK and I have it on all the time in my current car. Even though I usually listen to radio 4 I get the traffic reports from all manner of "local" radio stations - some maybe 50+ miles away. It works faultlessly in my old car.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As an earlier reply suggested this is a known problem I will try my dealer.

Hi greenspot.. just wandering off topic for a moment.. which dealership will you be using in South Manchester?

Offline greenspot

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stockport

It definitely should switch to any station the radio can receieve that turns on the TA signal. I drive a lot on motorways here in the UK and I have it on all the time in my current car. Even though I usually listen to radio 4 I get the traffic reports from all manner of "local" radio stations - some maybe 50+ miles away. It works faultlessly in my old car.

Thanks for that. That is what I expected mine to do. Rang my dealer and it is booked in for Monday for a check.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

That is how mine seems to work in Scotland, the BBC announcements cut in over the USB if I am on a BBC station when I switch it to AUX, but I don't get the Beeb announcments if I have been on local radio.

I think I might need to take this back :-[

Last night I was listening to CD having swapped mode from local radio on an independent network.  TA cut in to my local station as expected but then about 10 minutes later the BBC TA cut in with a non-scheduled broadcast.  Not sure if that means the BBC was late or if "special" announcements are given a different tag which is monitored on any network?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline greenspot

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stockport

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Today I had the TA on and while listening to the local radio station I was getting alot of cut outs in the broadcast

As soon as I turned the TA off it was A OK

Offline greenspot

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stockport

Eye30 seems to be having similar problems to mine.

Took mine to the dealer today. From their reaction it seems that they are aware there is a problem "on some i30 radios". I had to leave the car with them because they apparently need the serial number off the radio chassis before they can exchange the faulty item.

They rang me after about an hour and I went back to collect the car. They have ordered a new radio. They said that they could not give a date but it is normally about 3-4 weeks. We will see!

On the same topic just a thought. As only a few people are suffering this problem do they all have the same radio software level? Mine is as below:

A200FDE
SW          V1.07.EUR
EEPROM   FD200E52

And off topic: A lot of posts seem to give the month of manufacture of their car. I can't see mine anywhere. I know I will feel stupid when someone tells me as it will be glaringly obvious when I know where to look but help anyway.

Offline Weston Coyney

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Staffordshire
Latest situation as at 11.11.09: Reported same fault present with replacement radio to my dealer. Service manager rang me back after discussions with Hyundai technical dept. They say that the problem is due to the sensitivity setup of the radio for reception of TA. This is apparently a software issue and they have carried out "experiments" on some affected vehicles - but so far without 100% success. They are trying to get it right before issuing an official bulletin to dealers. "Bear with us".

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I note honestjohn.co.uk now says under "known issues" for the i30:

"Problem with Traffic Announcements on radios of 1.4 Comforts. FIX available from mid November 2009"

Offline Kathnkeith

• 1st Gear
hyundai TA Radio Problem

Hi, I live in the Tamworth area, about 15 miles northeast of Birminham, UK.
Bought my i30 Comfort 1.6CRDi in July.
Have the same problem with the 3 'mutes' but only seems to happen when listening to BBC radio 1, 2, 3 or 4. Local BBC radio WM, Stoke and Greater Manchester, also commercial radio there does not seem to be a problem with the 3 'mutes'. Only thing I have noticed recently is that I am not receiving any traffic anouncements, on any station, when the TA button is on.
Went into my dealers on 24 November (Sandon Motors of Stafford) and informed them, they said hyundai knew about the problem and there technicians were working on the problem and hopefully would have the answer soon (!!!) then they woud be able to download an update from there computer to the radio.
Keith.

Offline greenspot

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stockport

It seems my dealer was right. They said it would take 3-4 weeks to get a replacement radio and that is how long it took.

They rang me 3 December and fitted the new radio on 4 Dec. It appears to be working now and I am now getting traffic reports from Radio Manchester interrupting me listening to Radio 2. I am assuming that it should work on all stations.

The new radio software is (and seems to work)
               A200FDE
SW          V1.10.EUR
EEPROM   FD 200E52

:) :)

The old was
               A200FDE
SW          V1.07.EUR
EEPROM   FD200E52

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The new radio software is (and seems to work)
               A200FDE
SW          V1.10.EUR
EEPROM   FD 200E52

:) :)

The old was
               A200FDE
SW          V1.07.EUR
EEPROM   FD200E52

Thanks for the update :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I am now getting traffic reports from Radio Manchester interrupting me listening to Radio 2. I am assuming that it should work on all stations.

That how mine works but I get Radio Merseyside.

If I'm in range of Manchester stations I wil get those. 

Offline hyundai_on_thames

• 2nd Gear
Same issue of the 1 second gaps here. Last time I had this fault was on a Philips RDS radio in the 1980's just a year or 2 after RDS was introduced. The workaround on the i30 is to switch off TA!

My last car's excellent Sony did not have the issue BUT tended to pick up too many out of area traffic announcements.

I am watching this space to see if a software update to the radio will fix it.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Same issue of the 1 second gaps here. Last time I had this fault was on a Philips RDS radio in the 1980's just a year or 2 after RDS was introduced. The workaround on the i30 is to switch off TA!

My last car's excellent Sony did not have the issue BUT tended to pick up too many out of area traffic announcements.

I am watching this space to see if a software update to the radio will fix it.

Post 19 above indicates someone who has had it fixed. Shouldn't really need a new radio - the firmware will bootstrap from a CD and install, and the dealer's should get these CDs.

And mine (not very old) seems to work OK* with firmware v1.0 FD20EG4J

*However I live in an area where the density of TA's is low per hour.

• 2nd Gear
Greenspot originally reported, got short interruptions but no actual traffic announcements.

My issue is not quite the same, I do get the announcements but also get many 2 second interruptions without announcements (to either radio or to USB etc) if TA is switched on.

From Greenspot's update it's obvious that they've fixed the lack of announcements for him, but did they fix the 2 second interruptions?

If so, I will be keen to get the update especially if it is software only so a quick one.

Offline Weston Coyney

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Staffordshire
Had my radio unit replaced (again, see previous posts) two weeks ago. It works!! Software is now V1.12A EUR
TA problems seem to be solved and I also notice improved reception of weaker stations and faster and more accurate response of AF (Alternate Frequency) switching. It's been a long six-month wait but it looks like they've cracked it this time. Another satisfied customer! :D

• 2nd Gear
Useful to know.

Wonder if that new Firmware version is avail for m yradio & how it gets updated. Currently I am at: A-200FDE Version 1.02.EUR Firmware FD200E52.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The dealers should get a CD which they load into the radio and press a few buttons to start the flash priocess. No unlike loading a new bios on a PC.

• 2nd Gear
I am informed that for an i30 purchased in UK in Jan 2010, there are no firmware updates available.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal