Best economy figure?

The Gonz · 87 · 22664

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I filled up on Diesel at my favourite high flow bowser yesterday morning and reset the economy gauge. As usual, the first few metres moving out of the fuel station clocked something like 26L/100Km but by the time I got to work it was down to 4.2.

By the time I got home last night it had settled on 4.0. Today's frugal, relaxed driving with an eye on the economy gauge produced a current figure of 3.8.

I love my Frugal Firty.  :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline freeasabird

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I have been keeping an eye on my diesel purchases and I am consistently getting 62=63 mpg so I am very pleased.  I don't do much city driving but then I don't do much motorway either, mostly rural roads (England)
  • i30 1.6CRDi manual Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have been keeping an eye on my diesel purchases and I am consistently getting 62=63 mpg so I am very pleased.  I don't do much city driving but then I don't do much motorway either, mostly rural roads (England)

:goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Excellent.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
That's very good Gonz, you would have to be happy with that.

Offline Hammo5

• 1st Gear
  • 2008 Vivid Blue FD 1.6 CRDi SX

• au Australia
      Mount Barker, South Australia
Figures are so good Gonz! I drive a 2008 manual on rural roads in the Adelaide Hills (SA, Aus) and consistently get over the 1000km for 80-85% of a tank. Under 4l/100km could not be happier with the economy.
  • 2008 FD SX 1.6l CRDI Manual

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Great result!
Welcome to the forum Hammo5.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome:, mate. SA must have some kind of economy advantage. Maybe it's the fresh air! :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:welcome:, mate. SA must have some kind of economy advantage. Maybe it's the fresh air! :happydance:
:wttc: great to meet another happy i30 CRDi owner

Not many hills,  & less traffic can help.
I get over 1,000k every tank & always have from first a 08 CRDi 5 speed & now a 11 CRDi 6 speed. If I drive for economy I can get the trip PCM to read low fuel usage numbers but I love to drive it for feel. I came down the coast average speed
87kph over the trip that was across Sydney too 4.9l/100k I'm happy as lot of twisty's &big hills all the way.

Offline FeedTheHog

• 2nd Gear
  • One day to the next

• gb United Kingdom
      Ceredigion and Staffordshire

• Owned by two cats
Reviving an old thread? Anyway, just been on Mitsubishi training in the midlands so managed to clock up some miles including rural and motorway. The motorway was mostly rush hour up and down the M6 between junction 15 and Birmingham International.

Over 706.6 miles (and still 90 miles - 2 bars - left when I eventually filled up) the on board computer told me I'd done an average of 73.5mpg. I always do some spreadsheeting of fuel consumption and economy which revealed the true figure was probably closer to 69.49mpg.

This means that since purchase I have averaged 64.32mpg. Looking forward to improving this further.

• 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Reviving an old thread? Anyway, just been on Mitsubishi training in the midlands so managed to clock up some miles including rural and motorway. The motorway was mostly rush hour up and down the M6 between junction 15 and Birmingham International.

Over 706.6 miles (and still 90 miles - 2 bars - left when I eventually filled up) the on board computer told me I'd done an average of 73.5mpg. I always do some spreadsheeting of fuel consumption and economy which revealed the true figure was probably closer to 69.49mpg.

This means that since purchase I have averaged 64.32mpg. Looking forward to improving this further.
Excellent result and nice Avatar Picture too.. :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

thats great millage and Im jealous cus either Im driving too fast or u guys are driving really too slow  :P the best ave' mpg in my GD so far I got  is 50.6mpg, however Ive only got like 7500 miles on the clock and I'ld say I do more city then motorway as I normally only do a motorway trip once a week.
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline FeedTheHog

• 2nd Gear
  • One day to the next

• gb United Kingdom
      Ceredigion and Staffordshire

• Owned by two cats

thats great millage and Im jealous cus either Im driving too fast or u guys are driving really too slow  :P the best ave' mpg in my GD so far I got  is 50.6mpg, however Ive only got like 7500 miles on the clock and I'ld say I do more city then motorway as I normally only do a motorway trip once a week.

Honestly, on these Welsh A-roads my speed is usually restricted by whatever it is I'm following. I try to do the limit whenever safe but there's always some numpty in front of me of the faith that exceeding 40mph will result in certain death, hence my average speed since purchase is 39!!! Depressingly slow.

The M6 stint was a lot of stop-start, but when actually driving a decent speed I found that 60mph - sat nav speed - appeared to be the most efficient, with economy dropping off quickly by 70mph. I find whatever the dash display says for mpg, in reality it's about 5% less than that for my car, same for speed.

Maybe your engine is still wearing in, but an average of 50.6mpg seems a little on the low side to me. Your DPF isn't stuck in Regen mode is it???? I have read about that happening before though I think it is very rare.

• 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

Honestly, on these Welsh A-roads my speed is usually restricted by whatever it is I'm following. I try to do the limit whenever safe but there's always some numpty in front of me of the faith that exceeding 40mph will result in certain death, hence my average speed since purchase is 39!!! Depressingly slow.

The M6 stint was a lot of stop-start, but when actually driving a decent speed I found that 60mph - sat nav speed - appeared to be the most efficient, with economy dropping off quickly by 70mph. I find whatever the dash display says for mpg, in reality it's about 5% less than that for my car, same for speed.

Maybe your engine is still wearing in, but an average of 50.6mpg seems a little on the low side to me. Your DPF isn't stuck in Regen mode is it???? I have read about that happening before though I think it is very rare.

it must be just me then, a mix of driving a lot more faster  :whistler: and more city then motorway.  So 50.6mpg is excellent for the speeds I do  :lol:
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I cruised from Solihull to Ambleside via the M6 toll and M6 motorway on Friday - a distance of 176 miles. I reset the trip B, speed and economy trips before leaving. It was a warm day and little wind. Traffic flowed freely for the whole journey and I set the CC to 62 mph.

At 104 miles the trip economy was reading 67.2 mpg when I noticed it start to fall - the DPF was regenerating. It fell to 58.1 mpg by 122 miles when the DPF regen ceased then started to rise again, reaching 60.1 mpg when we reached our destination. Average speed for the whole trip was 53 mph.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'd put the DPF up for auction on eBay if I was you.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
that's not good , DPF.
I think we all drive differently under vastly different conditions.
istill like driving for enjoyment. ut in Sydney these days they just drive side by side all going 10kph or more below posted speed limit. and a friend I caught up with who is studying to become a vet she has been over perth two years now she was complaining abut them driving 20kph slower than posted speed limit over there.
I always drive on speed limit I have the gps speedo up for easy check . with thatout they way I had 5.0L/100k on trip pc but had been driving in Sydney two days like from sans suici to glebe then Liverpool then Penrith then carlinford so I was all over Sydney sort of got into traffic jams ad the rest. the trip c still on 5.0/100k I had travelled 1,000k since last fill up with trip p saying I had over 200k range left. I got 51L to brim so just means the pc takes time to catch up to city l/100k useage that's why you have to allow for that after driving incountry than hiting the city, you can't trust the distance to empty till it gets time to catch up. that's how or why some run out of fuel with distance to empty saying they still had 20 or 30k left. just pointing this out, I know a lot of people would aready know this.
but why are Australians all driving so slow? like 15 years back if you did not drive 10kph faster than posted speed you would have everyone rasing a finger at you. :D
please use your imagination reading this i'm trying to type on lap top keyboard :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
but why are Australians all driving so slow?

In a word, cameras.  :( 

Alan, case in point.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I found the opposite  :undecided:

When we were driving around Sydney recently in a rental car I was amazed to see people exceeding the speed limits all over the place  :sweating:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

When we were driving around Sydney recently in a rental car I was amazed to see people exceeding the speed limits all over the place  :sweating:

Dazz they slow down if there is a fixed speed camera or red light camera. or if it is a safe road to drive faster. but they go overboard slow when there is a camera ahead, we don't hide camera's in sneaky spots like some other states do & if a cop hides you will soon know about it like queensland they hide cameras just to  raise money. my friend said they drive 20kph slower than speed limit holding everyone up? why, as even if there is a camera 20 slower that you are allowed is excessive. there is a law that you can be booked going too slow too. something needs to be done.
nanny states

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've seen cameras hidden in between pine trees where you'd never expect them to be.  :fum:

Speaking of economy figures  :whistler:

Brimmed Ruby today and drove home l/100 from 14+ to 7.6 over about 2k's.

Went to lunch at Strathalbyn, about 15 minutes drive @ 80-90. On arrival 4.4 l/100, drove home and the overall from fill is now 5.0 l/100. Pretty good for 4 sp auto.  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Brilliant for a 4 speed auto.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As you would expect, it's the gear changing and city driving that wrecks everything. But on a long trip, there's really not that much difference.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

No................. you were going tassie speed...............
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was trying to drive at posted speeds without getting booked  :P

In some cases they were changing every few hundred metres or less  :confused:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I've seen cameras hidden in between pine trees where you'd never expect them to be.  :fum:

Speaking of economy figures  :whistler:

Brimmed Ruby today and drove home l/100 from 14+ to 7.6 over about 2k's.

Went to lunch at Strathalbyn, about 15 minutes drive @ 80-90. On arrival 4.4 l/100, drove home and the overall from fill is now 5.0 l/100. Pretty good for 4 sp auto.  :happydance:

4.4L/100k from auto must be good Phil, i mostly am doing 100kph to 110kph now, but notice if i go slower in the 80 - 90 & not much traffic economy improves just i like to drive for enjoyment these days.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I was trying to drive at posted speeds without getting booked  :P

In some cases they were changing every few hundred metres or less  :confused:

Dazz  in Sydney all speed camera's are well sign posted but if there is no speed camera people drive like they should be able to , i think as long as your not exceeding the limit by more than 10kph your ok, like you went over Manly when you cross the spit heading from mosman to the northern beaches as you go down to spit brige on the down hill stretch there is a speed camera, so traffic goes at speed limit ( not 20kph lower) then you crosses bridge speed limit still 60kph posted but you are going up a very steep hill & over the top speed limit 80kph so its normal to travel up that hill at 70kph or 80kph , you were a tourist & not to know, down the same hill back toward bridge some traffic has been traveling @ 80kph & hits 60kph limit so some are still going faster & down hill, they hit spit bridge then slow down a bit up the hill toward mosman as there is a posted speed camera on the hill.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So much to look out for up there! (and driving a strange car)  :sweating: :confused:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal