i30 Owners Club

most k's out of one tank

Lakes · 36 · 9128

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Most k's out of one tank i've ever got, before refilling, was in my first i30 FD CRDi 5 speed i went 1,320k with my 6 speed i tent to drive faster but have driven 1250k on the one tank of diesel b4 refilling

whats the best others have managed?

just wish the trip went over 999 as it goes back to 000 and the 1,320 read out at 320

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Best I've ever done is 1085 before I chickened out and fueled up,just guessing,I maybe could have gotten another 50 to 100 K's
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:51:55 by Rick! »
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The most I have achieved on a tank with my three i30's - all 1.6 CRDi models are :-

2010 FD Hatchback....621 miles = 999 km

2012 GD Hatchback...752 miles = 1210 km

2013 GD Estate........705 miles = 1134 km

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My best (2007 CRDi 5 speed) is 1323 ks when the fuel warning light came on, but that was with some extreme (for me) driving.  I think I have got 1265/1267 a couple of times (when light comes on).

I am reminded of this:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_109352/title_Adventurer-Proves-Incredible-Fuel-Economy-of-the-New-i30-Diesel/newsarticle.html
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Would be quite helpful if the type of road(s) used are stated as well.

My 900+ (+ means fuel light did not come on yet) km per tank seems like not good economy at all until I mention that it was done in metropolitan Perth, mostly stop start traffic and no freeway travel at all.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
True.  The 1323 was, I think, about half freeway, half city.  And on the freeway I was driving well under the speed limit.  I reckon, however, that even with city driving only I could easily get 1000 ks out of one tank before the light comes on.  But you wouldn't want to be behind me taking off from the lights.  And I am talking about a tank that is completely full to start off with.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Would be quite helpful if the type of road(s) used are stated as well.

My 900+ (+ means fuel light did not come on yet) km per tank seems like not good economy at all until I mention that it was done in metropolitan Perth, mostly stop start traffic and no freeway travel at all.

900 + with the driving you do is great.
In my previous FD, I'm going by memory because I sent the fuel record book with the car, but I'm thinking it was 1100 + as the best.
In my GD, the last dozen refills have all been between 950 & 1050 kms. I do a mix of metro roads and freeways.
The highest I've had in the GD is 1067.2, which coincidentally was the first tank it ever had, but I've had seventeen refills so far in excess of 1000 kms.
The most diesel I've ever put in was 55.18 litres (50 litre tank).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yep, I always assume brimmed tank when comparing apples fuel consumption...

Come to think of it, will be going to Busselton week after next, but it'll be 5 up with luggage for 4 days so consumption won't be that good me thinks. Upside is will have the iPad talk to the engine management and the app I use can keep track of the average consumption even when turned off.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've covered just shy of 110,000 miles and still haven't had to put any petrol in :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:lol:
I'm not sure whether to recommend the Guinness Book of Records or to stop drinking Guinness.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
FD CW auto 998k on a nice highway trip from Brisbane to Sydney and related around town cruising....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've covered just shy of 110,000 miles and still haven't had to put any petrol in :whistler:
I only did it once with my CRDi  :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
From memory, I managed to get 1402km out of a tank before getting anxious about how much was left in the tank and topping it up from the container in the back.  That was in the original OURI30 FD CRDi manual way back in 2008.  I think Thumper exceeded this figure shortly after.  I regularly got in excess of 1200km from every tank.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's amazing.  :goodjob:

I think it is very flat area where Bob usually drives  :undecided:

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
the most i have ever gotten out of a tank is 925 kms and it took 45 litres. but the fuel light was on. that was brisbane to maryborough to brisbane to maryborough to hervey bay to maryborough. i must have a heavy foot. cause i'm lucky to get 800kms around town. but i also dont hold people up at the lights lol :rofl:
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
p.s. its funny when a p plater in a non turbo forester tries to drag you off at the lights and ends up smelling diesel soot.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's amazing.  :goodjob:

I think it is very flat area where Bob usually drives  :undecided:

Spot on Dazz.

Whereas I live in the hills and have to negotiate Greenmount Hill at least once daily.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What goes up, must come down though. :undecided:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What goes up, must come down though. :undecided:

But depending how you climb the hills, I don't think the decent always offsets the climb fuel wise  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
For most maybe, I use a fixed climb rate where possible CC, and can descend into Adelaide without any brake application by selecting the correct gear and using the AC as a brake, traffic permitting.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From memory, I managed to get 1402km out of a tank before getting anxious about how much was left in the tank and topping it up from the container in the back.  That was in the original OURI30 FD CRDi manual way back in 2008.  I think Thumper exceeded this figure shortly after.  I regularly got in excess of 1200km from every tank.

That was a top effort Bob!

Well Dazz pointed out that it was a flat area you drive on.
But i don't think it really matters that much, it's the driver . as i've driven to  Nyngan thats all flat for 100's of K's did not help economy at all as was windy.
with hill's you go up the motor works harder, then you go down , the motor don't work much at all.
i think road surface, air temps. the speed you drive @ , the rev you shift @, how hard you use the brakes , how often you exellerate , how long you idle the motor for . all effect the fuel economy.
when i did the 1,320 k , I was driving at 90KPH or less never over that speed rev mostly @ 1,900 ( start of maxium Torq curve,
forgot to mention i was on my own but had luggage. weight plays a part too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see where you are coming from John (with the wind and stuff, which definitely makes a difference)

However, I still believe that a person who lives and drives mostly in a flat area will end up with a slightly better overall economy than someone who lives and drives in a hillier environment.

I am not fanatical, but I drive for economy wherever I can.

I have taken particular note of the different economy I got in the CRDi and more recently in the two Hybrids. I always seemed to get a better overall result in flat areas (like on parts of the mainland I have driven) than in up and down areas.

We are only talking maybe .3 or so LPH though.. I didn't do any exhaustive tests though.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I reckon if a CRDi owner lived in a country town, with no real traffic, travelled 30-40-50 ks to work in the countryside, flat roads, no fear of really holding up other traffic, 80-90 ks per hour, the economy would be ideal.

I have never driven from Adelaide to Sydney, like Tholstrup did in 2007, but is that mostly flat roads?  If so, it's probably why they chose that trip.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

ouri30
I reckon if a CRDi owner lived in a country town, with no real traffic, travelled 30-40-50 ks to work in the countryside, flat roads, no fear of really holding up other traffic, 80-90 ks per hour, the economy would be ideal.

Hey, that's me, other than I drive 70km to work.

Here's the original thread I started when I achieved 1400km (1402.2 to be precise).

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1658.30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I have never driven from Adelaide to Sydney, like Tholstrup did in 2007, but is that mostly flat roads?  If so, it's probably why they chose that trip.

well i've driven Adelaide to Sydney, but i think Tholstrup went to Port Maquarie. it is not really flat there are some hills in that rout.  i always use more fuel as i drive faster out there

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Oct 2007 (?) Darwin to Adelaide economy challenge; I think the CRDi got 3.2 litres per 100k.  But he was probably doing 70 ks per hour all the way, no A/C etc.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Seeing where Rusty lives I see why he gets really good economy.
A few hills to pull it down but mainly open roads.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Last year during a European camping trip with a passenger, luggage and liquid purchases I brimmed my 53 litre tank in Andorra with 61.43 litres (slight downhill slope). Driving via Spain and France on a mix of roads I next filled in Luxembourg where I could only fit in 59.35 litres. This forecourt was level which was just as well really as when I got in to drive off I realised that I'd forgotten to apply the handbrake. The distance between fills was 902.1 miles (1,443 km). Do I win a prize? (I like bananas).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal