How handy is that Diesel economy...

Dazzler · 23 · 6303

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We had a day trip today from Devonport Tasmania to our capital Hobart.. including a few detours I reckon we did nearly 700 kilometres in around twelve and half  hours...

The thing was we left this morning at about 6.30am with less than three quarters of a tank drove fairly hard and managed to get back home with just over 50kms still showing on the DTE readout.. (Zero'd the L/100km reading before I left and averaged 5.2 LPH for the trip - good by my standards..)

It was raining pretty heavy last night on the way home so intended getting some diesel in Hobart but it was dearer down there and we were busy "shopping"  :D

Went down to check out a model train show but it was a big disappointment so had to get some retail therapy (Cappuccino machine .. etc.. :wink:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
It sure has come in handy plenty of times Dazz, it's great!

Every chance I get I try to convince people to go with diesel rather than petrol (i30 or not) but I still think there is a rather bad mentality still out there wrt it........

Regards

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My previous motor was a 1.4L MG/ZR and probably the worst thing about it was only being able to get 400miles from a brimmed tank of petrol. My daily journey to and from work is 84 miles (42 each way lol) so you can see how crap it was filling up Sunday night only to have the "running on fumes" light up on the way home the next Friday evening :(

Now, of course, it is a different story. A good brimful of the black stuff on Sunday evening will get me close to 750miles. Plus of course, the ride is supreme :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
it's all just a bonus I reckon.

I bought it for the torque.  I am completely addicted to it.  A slave to it even.
The fact that it ALSO gets BRILLIANT fuel consumption... is a massive bonus.

Yeah, ok a Prius (pronounced Pre arse?) gets less fuel usage... BUT... a Prius wouldn't pull your bed sheets back, let alone press you back in the seat as you accelerate.

You are right Daniel, opinion needs to change.

I will NEVER buy a petrol car again.  
(Unless I crack those 6 magic lotto numbers, in which case I will have to negotiate with Ferrari to deliver my custom diesel version of the italia, or California - OR maybe, take a petrol version).  :)

Offline ivana

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
it's all just a bonus I reckon.

I bought it for the torque.  I am completely addicted to it.  A slave to it even.
The fact that it ALSO gets BRILLIANT fuel consumption... is a massive bonus.

Yeah, ok a Prius (pronounced Pre arse?) gets less fuel usage... BUT... a Prius wouldn't pull your bed sheets back, let alone press you back in the seat as you accelerate.

You are right Daniel, opinion needs to change.

I will NEVER buy a petrol car again.  
(Unless I crack those 6 magic lotto numbers, in which case I will have to negotiate with Ferrari to deliver my custom diesel version of the italia, or California - OR maybe, take a petrol version).  :)

nah id get a nice maserati gt. you don't see too many of those on the roads and they are one of the sexiest cars ive ever seen...

or maybe an aston...

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
nah id get a nice maserati gt. you don't see too many of those on the roads and they are one of the sexiest cars ive ever seen...
or maybe an aston...

Well the Ferrari would be for Fridays.  
"M"aserati GT for "Mondays"...  and,
who wouldn't want a "T"VR for "T"uesdays.
A "W"ankel on "W"ednesdays (and any other day before driving too???  er, oops... I mean.... er.. ).

"D"iesels for every other Hyun"D"ay

Aston... well... that and the new high end Jags are very similar (twins?)... and were both "F"ords at some stage (there's the DNA). "F"riday is already taken !

Er.. oops... Back on topic.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
thats great to hear Dazz.
i love the economy too right now i'm at half tank on the gauge and 700k on this tank all in Sydney two and from work and going out, plus shopping, not sure what the average is yet but will use whole tank then work it out but seems to be better with temps over 20 like they have been and have been up to about 32 33.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
right now i'm at half tank on the gauge and 700k on this tank all in Sydney

That's incredible Lakes!!!!

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Yeah i get to 700 at half tank on the guage, it goes downhill quickly from there hehe

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
right now i'm at half tank on the gauge and 700k on this tank all in Sydney

That's incredible Lakes!!!!

Hey Blue, seems about normal for a good tank, warm weather easy driving, and have to remember that i fill my tank right to the very top everytime. also as Ozsnowman said goes down faster from there, mostly because when your full right up the half way mark on the gauge is not the true half way. will probably go 1,100 to 1,200 on this tank all sydney driving before filling up.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
will probably go 1,100 to 1,200 on this tank all sydney driving before filling up.

That's AWESOME... around town! 

Why have I ignored Turbo Diesels for so long?
* Blue gives himself an uppercut

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Update still on the same tank just useing for comuting in Sydney, got to 1,000k so far and has not had the light come on, probably get 100 to 200 more out of it but have to see, i don't have a trip computer so don't have distance to empty, just go off experience with the car.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i made it to 1,060k this morning and fuel light came on, as i was not to far from a caltex with vortex diesel i got 45lt to first click then topped it to the brim with 54lt they were selling it @ 117.9 per Lt was good for holiday weekend, i worked that out @ 5.09 per 100k so am happy with that.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I filled up the other day at 1045km - no warning light! :D

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

• Central Coast, NSW, Australia
It sure has come in handy plenty of times Dazz, it's great!

Every chance I get I try to convince people to go with diesel rather than petrol (i30 or not) but I still think there is a rather bad mentality still out there wrt it........

Regards

Daniel

It's easy for me ;-)  Almost 25000 KMs and I can say I've been to the pump less than 30 times.

Mind you most people say almost 25000 KMs   :eek:    You only just bought the car this year  :rolleyes:

I was overly cautious in the begining.  Now I know I can get easily close to 1100 KMs a tank.

Bar everything else I love about the car not having to fillup in the cold mornings etc as often as I used to is a major bonus to me.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I filled up the other day at 1045km - no warning light! :D

well come up to sydney and we will fix that  LOL

Offline Guilty

• 1st Gear
i filled her to the brim and did about 300kays before the needle drop.... it's nearing three quarters now and it's already done 415kms....real happy....

i guess i didn't turn on the aircon and was quite gentle with my throttle... ave speed was 100km/h... so that might have help with the economy....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Guilty, that's great!
90KPH seems to be my best economy speed, but i can only do that on a multi lane HWY or when not much traffic. but can drive faster and get good economy too if i drive smoothly .
you will go 1,000 easy 1,100 if your carefull. i think the three quarter mark was 500 or there abouts when i did 1,3?? before re filling. but your going great!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Guilty...

Any friend of an i30 CRDi is a friend of mine and ... Blues.. and ..Shambles and.. Eyes and Gurkahs.. and.. :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome Guilty...

Any friend of an i30 CRDi is a friend of mine and ... Blues.. and ..Shambles and.. Eyes and Gurkahs.. and.. :mrgreen:

Who's eyes. Not my eye
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah you m8.. you luv your diesel don't you  :wink:

Offline ala

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland

• i30CRDi Comfort Wagon 1,6 84kW -09
My 1,6CRDi 84kW goes easily under 5l/100km ( 4,5l the lowest so far ) if I drive about 85km/h and winter tyres with studs on the car but in  city circumstances well over 6l/100km  :rolleyes:  8)  ( hope you understand, my English is a bit rusty... ).

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi ala, your english is easy to understand, i have never had to use studs in tyres but i would imagine that they would effect economy from rolling resistance.
i might be wrong but my motor seems to like this hot weather we are having it goes really well in temps 22c to 39c at least it feels like that to me. economy seems good too but not sure if it's better as i seem to enjoy driving it and not worrying about rev or speed but i rarely rev past 3,000 as it goes strong from 2,000 to 3,000 so shift up a gear and i'm at our national speed limit before 3,000 in 5th i think?
cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal