i30 Owners Club

Looks like my power window system has completely failed

Offline james007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I was driving today and heard a loud crack and crunch. I could hear the faint sound of little bits of plastic fall to the bottom of the door frame and watched the window slowly sink into the door.

Looks like my power window system has completely failed. I'll have to replace it, anyone done this before?
  • Hyundai i30 2011

Offline james007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Uh oh, I just found this thread and sounds like what has happened to my car.
:link: Drivers door windows glass broken free

The original poster from that thread says the little plastic clips will cost approx $300? He said he didn't have a 3D printer, but I have one and it's working well!
  • Hyundai i30 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The original poster from that thread says the little plastic clips will cost approx $300? He said he didn't have a 3D printer, but I have one and it's working well!

That's handy, but where will you get the specs for the clips and stuff you will need to fabricate?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline james007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
That's handy, but where will you get the specs for the clips and stuff you will need to fabricate?

In the thread that I linked to the original poster said he had found some 3d models of what he needed. Hopefully I can do the same!

Do you think this will work?
:link: Hyundai i30 2009 Window Regulator Clip by geckoslayer - Thingiverse
  • Hyundai i30 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! That's pretty cool (worth a try)  :goodjob:

Offline james007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Wow! That's pretty cool (worth a try)  :goodjob:

Yep! I'll print a few out and see how I go - I've never done this sort of work on a car before. I'll try and find a youtube tutorial on how to do all this.
  • Hyundai i30 2011

Offline james007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
On second thoughts I may print them out and take the car to a mechanic. This job looks like it will be a pain in the ass and I'm sure I'll mess it up!

:link: 2007 hyundai I30 Window problems - YouTube
  • Hyundai i30 2011

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I am waiting on another set of clips from ebay, I was all ready to tackle the job, but when I got to the clips, they had sent me the left hand side clips. Only the rear clip on my car looks damaged, the glass track is very stiff and needs lubrication. It looks as if the cable was working very hard lifting the glass. If you are printing the clips, make sure you  use the toughest material.

Offline james007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I printed off the clips and my mechanic says I'll have to get the whole window regulator kit. I might try printing them again with a better end result (I had to sand down and cut out a lot of the plastic print to get it to resemble a clip.)

Next time I might print them in ABS plastic and then do some vapour smoothing/melting to strengthen it.
  • Hyundai i30 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the photo and info. Fascinating!

Offline trophy12

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi
Similar situation occurred in recent days.  Went to put up drivers side window, a loud bang was heard followed by a tinkling sound in lower door.  Glass would not go up at all and I had to carefully move up by hand to secure vehicle.

Local dealer has now looked at it and it will require a regulator assembly under warranty fortunately.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi
Similar situation occurred in recent days.  Went to put up drivers side window, a loud bang was heard followed by a tinkling sound in lower door.  Glass would not go up at all and I had to carefully move up by hand to secure vehicle.

Local dealer has now looked at it and it will require a regulator assembly under warranty fortunately.

Lucky you. Any indications it was about to fail like noises or anything?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline trophy12

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi

Nothing indicated failure imminent.  Local summer temps of 39-43 degrees for five days leading into event - maybe something expanded / softened and gave way when activated....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad for you it is a warranty job. :goodjob:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi

Nothing indicated failure imminent.  Local summer temps of 39-43 degrees for five days leading into event - maybe something expanded / softened and gave way when activated....

Yeah it was horrid. The setup reminds me of the TS Astras mainly the rear windows that also did the same thing.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal