i30 Owners Club

Spare Tyre well full of water

Offline Angus Macleod

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Lyttelton
While I'm here, thought I would see if anyone else has had this. When looking for the rear brake light problem, I found the spare tyre well had a about 30mm of water in it. I removed the grommets and used a towel to dry it out. The cover shows no signs of water, and there does not seem to be an obvious source. Unless some one has spilled some water in it at some stage, (wife's not owning up to it!) water was slightly oily however that could have come from the spare tyre. Will keep and eye on it.

Regards

Angus
  • Hyundai I30 2.0 Elite

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
While I'm here, thought I would see if anyone else has had this. When looking for the rear brake light problem, I found the spare tyre well had a about 30mm of water in it. I removed the grommets and used a towel to dry it out. The cover shows no signs of water, and there does not seem to be an obvious source. Unless some one has spilled some water in it at some stage, (wife's not owning up to it!) water was slightly oily however that could have come from the spare tyre. Will keep and eye on it.

Regards

Angus
Just run a hose jet around the hatch frame and check again.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Angus Macleod

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Lyttelton
Hi, did the hose thing, and no water got in, the car is a wagon, and I removed some of the plastic around the spare tyre well, and was able to see a small  trickle of water. I am fairly certain the water is coming in through the grommet around the left had tail light cable. Will put some RTV around it and see what happens.

Thanks for  your help

Regards

Angus
  • Hyundai I30 2.0 Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi, did the hose thing, and no water got in, the car is a wagon, and I removed some of the plastic around the spare tyre well, and was able to see a small  trickle of water. I am fairly certain the water is coming in through the grommet around the left had tail light cable. Will put some RTV around it and see what happens.

Thanks for  your help

Regards

Angus

Hi Angus, fingers crossed that is the cause... Water leaks can travel quite a way, so can be hard to trace. Not a common problem reported on here. Sometimes happens if a car has had a bodywork repair.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
had the same issue.
stopped only after taking out the rubber cups and placing it back again.
have to check again to see if its still dry....
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Mr's hatch doesn't leak under hose pressure etc, but pop the door up and it just pours down into the cargo area from somewhere in the tail lights.
No discolouration of the lights so it must be draining away eventually at the normal hatch angle.
Can't find where it's getting in, as bad as the old Commodore rear ΒΌ window.
  • i-30

Offline Angus Macleod

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Lyttelton
Hi Guys
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I had not fixed the problem, I guess it did not rain very much after the session with the RTV.
Today I pulled out all the trim in the cargo area (using my new "trim pulling tool", you can get the plastic fasteners out with out breaking them, recommend it)
I applied water and noticed it was leaking in though the black plastic fuel filler surround. I applied RTV around the bottom edge. I am fairly confident it is now fixed. Quiet and easy fix really you probably don't need to dismantle anything just run some RTV between the surround and the steel.

Have fun with your Hyundai, think I will replace the CAM belt next, intend using the trick where you loosen off the tensioner then run a craft knife round the circumference, pull the front half off then push the new belt on, then slice through the remaining part of the old belt. Has worked on other cars, will let you know how I get on.

Angus
  • Hyundai I30 2.0 Elite

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal