i30 Owners Club

Remote Key Failure

foxey · 26 · 10032

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Five weeks old and 6500km driven as of today, and my remote key has failed.. parked the car today, hit the Lock button... nothing.. luckily I noticed it as I normally just walk away .. I must be in and out the car about 40 times a day, so it becomes a habit, just hit lock and keep walking.. today - nothing.. the remote just did not respond, yet only 10 minutes earlier at another location it was fine.. grrrrr.. I was only a block away from a Hyundai dealer ( aren't they everywhere ! ) so I rocked up and to their credit they looked at it straight away, but sadly - it's dead.. couldn't be reprogrammed, not a battery problem, just dead... so as it's coming up for the first service @ 7500km, I booked it in on Monday to have that done and a Key Exchange.. Now, if I had been given a spare remote then I could possibly do some troubleshooting, but unfortunately not..
All afternoon I've been trying it as I get in and out the car, maybe another 15 times or more.. still nothing.. wait - it worked again... once .. and then after that .nothing... ahhh. so it's flaky... however no amount of fiddling, probing, battery removing, changing or otherwise general intervention has resolved the problem so far.. (I've got a degree in Electronics, so I know a bit about it, but I also don't want to void any warranty) ..still nothing.. new key time.. but wait, I'm home now, car in garage snuggled up for the night - she's happy .. and ... the remote works .... arrrggghhhh...
Good Luck Hyundai service centre on Monday.. oh.. and I want a spare remote key fob..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Now you've got the best argument for a free/spare remote key so far... Think if you push it you should get there...

Good luck,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I got a spare non remote key when I bought my i30.

Did you get one?
 If so, you should carry it just in case remote fails again before you get new one.

I've been waiting some 8 week for Hy UK to supply a 2nd remote.

Be interesting to see how long it takes for yours to appear.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I did get a spare non remote key.. however the failing remote did not stop me from opening and closing the doors etc with the key on the remote, just the remote buttons wouldn't work.. also, another interesting thing I discovered,  if you lock the car with the remote, and then open with the key, the alarm will go off.. to silence the alarm, you must insert the key in the ignition and turn it on.
this function can be programmed off, so that you can lock the car with the remote and then open with the key and the alarm will not go off, I've now done that. Reason is because when the remote failed, I could not open the door unless I used the key, then the alarm sounded. This way if the remote fails again I can just use the key to open without causing havoc in the car park..

ouri30
foxey,

I understand your predicament and why you have had the alarm turned off so you can open the door with the key and not have the alarm sound.  However, as I understand it, when this is done, the car alarm system is not operable and I have been led to believe the security system and car immobilizer is no longer active.  I may be wrong.  Does anyone know?

Bob

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "ouri30"
foxey,

I understand your predicament and why you have had the alarm turned off so you can open the door with the key and not have the alarm sound.  However, as I understand it, when this is done, the car alarm system is not operable and I have been led to believe the security system and car immobilizer is no longer active.  I may be wrong.  Does anyone know?

Bob

Yes you are spot on about the security system being turning off if the alarm fuction is turned off so you can use the non remote.

This was one of the argument I used when I contacted HY UK to supply a 2nd remote as the insurance would be invalid.
Also, it wouldn't go down too well in the security ratings.

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hmmm.. that's not what I was told... but on reflection, it seems you guys could be right - so I will get them to re-enable it.. do they really know what they are doing ?
 In anycase the remote is now working again ... ughh.... Korean Electronics..

ouri30
foxey,

Is it a remote key failure (sender unit) or is it the receiver in the car itself.  If you had a second key, you could test this out easily.

Bob

Offline OMVanders

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      McLaren Vale

• McLaren Vale, South Australia Black CRDi I30 SX
Foxey and co

I was having the same problem with the 2 different keys on delivery.  I took it to the service centre and they disabled the alarm that sounds with the horn.  But then again  I had another alarm (battery backup, mercury switch, glass breakage, etc) fitted pre-delivery, so that hasn't been an issue for me.  

You're dead right about the need for 2 remote keys in normal circumstances, and unfortunately I can't use that as an angle to get a 2nd remote because of the more fancy alarm fitted, but most other people who have been supplied with only the one remote key surely could press their case because of this problem.

OMV

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
OK guys - I am now officially confused!

I've booked my car in to the dealership to have it 'de-coded', so I can turn the alarm off by inserting the spare (non remote) key into the ignition and turning it. I was under the impression that if the car was 'de-coded' in this way I could re-activate the system by using the remote key.

Now, having read ouri30's post above, I'M NOT AT ALL SURE!!!!

To quote the relevant bit from my UK Owner's Handbook (p. 4:6) - "...The siren will sound and the hazard warning lights will blink continuously for 27 seconds, unless the system is disarmed. To turn off the system, unlock the doors with the ignition key (*) or transmitter.

(*) To enable the ignition key to function, please consult your HYUNDAI authorised repairer."
[/color]

Now, the quote above suggests to me that if you were to have the car 'de-coded' the alarm should still work as normal if the remote key were to be used, and that by using the spare key the system would be temporarily disarmed, not that the entire system would be permanently disabled.

Further investigation is needed here, because we need a clear, definitive understanding - Don't worry, I'm on the case. I certainly do not want my alarm disabled permanently.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

i30manUK you may need to have the alarm activated/active otherwise your insurance in the UK may be invalid if the car is stolen and they won't pay out.

ouri30
Sorry if I confused you i30manUK.  I was only wanting it clarified myself.

Here is the way I understand it:
If I open he door with the key, any key, the alarm will sound and I will need to deactivate it in one of two ways:
  1.  Use the remote button on the key fob.
  2.  Place a key, any key, in the ignition.  (I've done this and know it works).
Now the alarm and security system is disabled.
If I choose (or have to) lock the car with a key (any key), the car will be locked but the security system will not be activated (until I use a remote to activate it).

This is the way the system is setup by default.  I don't know about a dealer decoding or permanently disabling the a;arm or security system and how the system will behave then.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My spare key triggers the alarm. When I next go to the dealership, which if a certain promise is kept will be within the next 10 days, one of the jobs I have tasked them with is decoupling the spare (fobless) key from the alarm system, in such a way that the key will not trigger it.

I presume the same will apply to the key on the plipper (or should I say plippers)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Cheers Bob & Shambles - this now tallies with my own understanding of the system. My (UK) car was delivered with the same setup as Shambles' (ie the spare key will be useless until they de-code the car system  next week).

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
Re the Keys  The non fob one is a passive transponder key and if used to open the door, the alarm will go off, if the security has been set by the fob/remote key. The transponder is only read when the ignition key is turned and read much like swiping a  bar code.
     The remote key however sends a UHF radio coded sig to the cars radio receiver.

With only one of each key that leaves one out on a limb, so at great cost I have purchased
another remote key for the wife   She insisted as she drives it as well. and
another remote key for myself to carry in the car if the primary one breaks down.and
a plain key cut to match the others. It is just a flat door key and I keep  in my wallet

Reasoning for that is,  if I loose or lock the remote in the car, I can at least get in and retrieve the remote, albeit the alarm will be going off!!  untill I kill it with the remote.

Gosh all these backups    Maybe I should have a second i30?  Similar to the old joke about if owning a Jag, you needed a second one to keep u on the road.!.

Ok now a question re the remote    Why does it have a boot opening button. With mine, on hitting that button, it not only unlocks the boot, but the doors as well?   Am I missing something?
regards to all.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Dave"
Ok now a question re the remote    Why does it have a boot opening button. With mine, on hitting that button, it not only unlocks the boot, but the doors as well?   Am I missing something?
On mine, pressing the boot unlock button for 3 seconds opens ONLY the boot. Handy when I take my shopping back to the car and have to go back to the store to return the trolley.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "Shambles"
On mine, pressing the boot unlock button for 3 seconds opens ONLY the boot. Handy when I take my shopping back to the car and have to go back to the store to return the trolley.

...yes, and in addition to that, when you shut the boot having used that button, it locks automatically. This little car has soooo many little gadgets  :geek:

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well, it seems like I opened a hornets nest as they say, when I started this post.. so to go give you an update, my remote has been magically working for the last two days, it just stopped mysteriously on Thursday..and even the dealer said it was dead, couldn't be reprogrammed.. I suspect it was an Australian Government plot, as the Pope is here and His motorcade was on at the time, the Government jammed all remote controls in Sydney, so that terrorists couldn't trigger any bombs..  I can't offer any other logical explanation as to why it is working again.. nevertheless, I'm not telling my dealer until Monday, and then I'll be pressing the issue of poor reliability to get another remote.
To clarify what was said about the alarm to me :
The alarm sound can be switched off by the dealer as an option, so that if the system is armed via remote fob, and a door is opened via the key, the alarm will not sound. However, if the say the bonnet or rear door is compromised, then the alarm will still sound.
That is how I understood it..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

On my car the alarm does NOT activate when I open the door with the non remote.

The dealer has told me the alarm has been TURNED OFF for the non remote key and was like that when they received it.

I'm concerned reading postings and now wondering if the alarm is activated with the remote.

I'll ask next time in dealers and ask them to check.
(hopefully this will be soon when I get the call to pick up my 2nd remote, if it ever arrives)

Is this the same with other UK owners?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm asking my dealership to disable the alarm if the door is opened with the spare, when previously locked with the fob. My alarm triggers when using the spare when actively alarmed.

ouri30
Shambles and others,

I think I know a way to test whether or not the alarm is activated in your vehicle.  That is, if the dealer says it is set up so that you can open it with the spare key without causing the horn to blast.

Simply sit in the car, lock it with the remote.  Once locked, open the door.  If the horn blasts, the alarm is working fine.  If not, then you have an issue because anyone can break into our car without raising the alarm.

Also, in an earlier post, I said I believed you couldn't open the door with the key on the remote fob without causing the horn to blast.  Tried that today, and the horn did not blast.  I think I need to test this whole alarm thingy out properly and post my findings.

Bob

Offline Chemist

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Croatia

• Croatia

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "Chemist"
I've just tried it, it's working! :lol:

Offline Chemist

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Croatia

• Croatia
Quote from: "i30manUK"
Quote from: "Chemist"
I've just tried it, it's working! :lol:

Not really...

This "alarm" disappointed me a bit... There is no real ear-tearing alarm, just standard car horn going on-off. :(

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "ouri30"
Simply sit in the car, lock it with the remote.  Once locked, open the door.

Tried it some time ago.

Can't open doors from inside.

I have deadlocks activated on my car.

Had to use remote to unlock.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Sit back and prepare to grin  :D ...

WHEN YOU LOCK THE CAR WITH THE NON-REMOTE KEY IT ACTIVATES THE ALARM SYSTEM*!

*it may be necessary to have your car set-up/adjusted for this to happen.

See the following thread for details.... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=658

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal