i30 Owners Club

i30 N Line/SR - Manual vs auto seeking advice

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I was reading an article where BMWs VP for marketing said that manuals in their cars will be phased out by 2024.

:link: Manual Gearboxes Are All but Dead. They?re Worse in Every Way Possible. - ExtremeTech

Was also looking at an article where Audi said they will stop producing manuals in the states and Canada.

:link: Audi Will Reportedly No Longer Offer Any Manual Transmissions in the U.S. - The Drive

I could be wrong (happens often) but I think Ferrari, as well as some other supercar manufacturers stopped making traditional manuals a while ago too.

A lot of Mercs, Audi’s and bmws can still be obtained via special order in Aus. I hope the manual will be around for some time yet!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 22:16:40 by robbo137 »
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I agree @Purplehazeffc that it would be difficult to engineer AEB for a manual car. Yeah, im guessing the same as you that they'd need to either stall the car or figure out a way to disengage the clutch?

My UK manual i30 PDe has AEB - think (haven't checked) all new i30s in the UK do.

No sure what happens in stage 3 AEB but I  guess the engine will have to be stalled - only got as far as stage 2 on the road so far  :Shocked:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My KIA Niro has AEB which works fine.

The only times I have cussed it have occured twice when driving in the left hand lane on a motorway and some idiot in the middle lane suddenly cuts really close in front of me to leave at an exit ramp at the last second. The car slams the brakes on even though they is little chance of a collision because the idiot is travelling faster than me.

Any vehicle travelling close behind me needs quick reflexes to avoid climbing into my boot.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asdetail

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      gold coast
they will always be manual gearboxes, as long as there's always an england, poms love em! :D
  • 2019 i30 n-line dct

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal