i30 Owners Club

Too far?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Aldi in Australia has taken Roald Dahl's, "Revolting Rhymes" off the shelf after a couple of complaints about it's use of the word "Slut".  :disapp:

:link: Aldi takes Roald Dahl book off Australian shelves over the word 'slut' | World news | The Guardian
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I bet you some slut that worked at Aldi decided to do that! :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Slutty sluts need to slut the slut up and slut a life.

I always thought of slut as a good adjective.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
It's like people in the USA wanting to remove Mark Twain books from libraries and schools due to the use of the "n" word.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Rather pointless when the book has been on shelves for nearly 20 years :rolleyes:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When the book was written the word "slut" was used to define a  woman with low standards of cleanliness.....not one that had too many sexual encounters.......

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's like people in the USA wanting to remove Mark Twain books from libraries and schools due to the use of the "n" word.
And the Biggles books.

One feature of social change since the original publication of the Biggles books has been a considerable shift in attitudes to race and ethnicity. During the 1960s and 1970s a perception of Biggles as unacceptably racially prejudiced, especially considered as children's literature, drove the Biggles books from many public and school libraries.[7]

The Biggles character himself was brought up in India, speaks fluent Hindi, and has a number of Indian friends and colleagues. In Biggles Goes to School, on one occasion when told to write lines in Latin he remarks that he would rather do so in Hindi. On one occasion the adult Biggles asserts to Air Commodore Raymond that "while men are decent to me I try to be decent to them, regardless of race, colour, politics, creed or anything else".[8]

Furthermore, while individually developed non-white characters are rather infrequent, when they do occur, they are usually "positive", from the Oxford-educated Chinaman, Li Chi, in Biggles Flies Again and Biggles Delivers the Goods and the perky Polynesian girl, Full Moon, in Biggles In The South Seas, to Alexander MacKay, a part-Native American (Red Indian) nicknamed "Minnie" who joins "the chums" as a valued colleague, and is even set to inherit Biggles' job in Biggles Does Some Homework. It has been pointed out, however, that the positive characteristics of these characters tend to be such features as relatively light complexions, Western educations, and general usefulness to our (white) hero and his friends and allies.[7]

On the other hand, when Johns wishes to present an unpleasant "foreigner" he will quite often drop a gratuitous and offensive hint that the person involved is of mixed race. Non-whites taken en masse tend to be systematically demonised. With the evil "Chungs" of Biggles Hits the Trail and the sub-human "Aboriginals" of Biggles in Australia, in particular, Johns succumbs to the tendency, typical of his time, to apply unpleasant stereotyping to non-white opponents of his hero.[7] No Rest for Biggles, set in Liberia, where he encounters descendants of Jean-Jacques Dessalines and Henri Cristophe plotting to set up a black empire, is another novel which is problematic in its treatment of racial issues.[9] Yet another book, Biggles in Borneo, stereotypes Dayak headhunters as barely human "savages", even though they are Biggles' allies against the Japanese. Nowadays few people would defend the racial prejudice in these books (and others in the "Biggles canon") although they are typical of a genre of fiction for young people that was once common.[7]

Biggles Delivers the Goods (published just three years after Biggles in Borneo) repeats the earlier work's basic plot line so closely that the later novel is clearly a revision of the earlier one. In both books Biggles establishes a secret airfield behind Japanese lines which is discovered and attacked by the Japanese before he can achieve his objectives. Algy is captured by the Japanese and threatened with execution by a brutal Japanese commandant, and rubber (as an important strategic material) figures largely. All ends well in both novels, as a massive air attack relieves the brave defenders of the airfield and defeats the Japanese. The protagonists are also closely paralleled in both novels, although in Biggles Delivers the Goods Li Chi (originally from a short story in Biggles Flies Again) reappears to take the place of a white character from the earlier version; and the headhunters, while still milked for "exotic colour" are much more sympathetically treated.
"Ad     
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
When the book was written the word "slut" was used to define a  woman with low standards of cleanliness.....not one that had too many sexual encounters.......

WOT.  I have encountered a couple of SLUTS and it has been interesting.  That's all I am gonna say on the matter  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

WOT.  I have encountered a couple of SLUTS and it has been interesting.  That's all I am gonna say on the matter  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No need to.
We know they had dirty fingernails.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal