i30 Owners Club

Steering wheel control buttons are sometimes unresponsive

Offline noes_oh

• 2nd Gear
Hi team - anyone run into an issue where the steering wheel control buttons on a GD I30 misbehave?

I live in the inner city so I do a lot of stop/start driving and short stops.  Ever since I bought my 2013 i30 GD Elite Diesel second hand, it's had this weird quick where the buttons either map to the wrong thing or the button presses are  completely ignored.

For example:

• I can almost guarantee that if I press the Cruise Control button after turning the car on it'll be ignored
  • Once it eventually does turn on (if i press the button 10 times), other more scary things happen such as a the cruise will turn on but the cancel button won't work or worse, the cancel button will actually activate cruise control
  • I have noticed that if I press the "steering wheel comfort mode" button once everything seems to work properly
  • I've had many occasions where volume uip maps to the "call the last dialed person on bluetooth"

Anyone seen this before?   Any advice or tips?
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The volume button is the only one that plays up for me, usually the first few presses then it’ll work fine for the rest of the day.

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi team - anyone run into an issue where the steering wheel control buttons on a GD I30 misbehave?

I live in the inner city so I do a lot of stop/start driving and short stops.  Ever since I bought my 2013 i30 GD Elite Diesel second hand, it's had this weird quick where the buttons either map to the wrong thing or the button presses are  completely ignored.

For example:

• I can almost guarantee that if I press the Cruise Control button after turning the car on it'll be ignored
  • Once it eventually does turn on (if i press the button 10 times), other more scary things happen such as a the cruise will turn on but the cancel button won't work or worse, the cancel button will actually activate cruise control
  • I have noticed that if I press the "steering wheel comfort mode" button once everything seems to work properly
  • I've had many occasions where volume uip maps to the "call the last dialed person on bluetooth"

Anyone seen this before?   Any advice or tips?
2013 diesel here too. Your issue - sounds possibly like the harness going to the steering wheel buttons loose somewhere because the myriad of behaviours does not make sense. Anyway aside from the odd freezing of our GD-01 unit from time to time (switching off or at worst, shutting off ignition then restarting normally fixes this problem), I’ve found this unit to be incredibly reliable especially when it comes to reconnecting to our iPhone’s Bluetooth.

Interested to hear other experiences ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Such a collective error points to the button panel or loom as mentioned. Often buttons in a cluster are electrically combined into a resistance ladder or voltage divider so that a different voltage level is sent for each key value.

On the other hand, each button could have its own discrete line. Only a member with a schematic can resolve this right now. In any case, there appears to be a common-to-many-buttons effect most likely caused by an unwanted resistance anywhere between the buttons and the far end of the loom.

With a bit of luck, it's a loose connection, or - as an electrically important less than solid state device - the dreaded clockspring! :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I’ve had this for quite a while now, not as bad as op but just the volume up and skip tracks up. I’m leading mine to a connection issue which I will take a look at soon as they either work or they don’t.
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline noes_oh

• 2nd Gear
After a bit of research a few things are pointing to a potential issue with the clock spring.  Apparently this is one of the reasons that can cause steering wheel buttons to not register.  Probably doesn't explain the incorrect mapping lol.
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal