i30 Owners Club

Fuel economy i30 2.0 auto?

gillyj · 10 · 4495

Offline gillyj

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bundaberg
Hi,  I just want to ask other owners of this model what is their average km to a tank,  I have never really paid much attention to it, but my car has recently been driving a bit funny and I am only getting around 400-450 km per tank,  I really thought I was getting more than 500 km per tank,  the car seems to be over revving before it changes gears and sometimes has a really clunky gear change and from cold when I start engine it revvs quite heavy and idles at 2000 before falling back to 1500, I have taken to local dealer who says nothing wrong

Thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Gill and Welcome,

I can see you are in Australia (but no idea which city?)

What year is your i30 and what mileage? Sounds like a transmission issue to me and I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion from maybe another dealer ..

Your mileage (range) does seem low to me although we have a manual. Obviously it will vary a lot depending on whether you do lots of stop start town driving or mainly on the highway... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gillyj

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bundaberg
Thanks for you reply,  I have just over 30000 on click,  just had it serviced 5 weeks ago and problem started about 3 weeks ago! 
Ps I'm in Bundaberg :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for you reply,  I have just over 30000 on click,  just had it serviced 5 weeks ago and problem started about 3 weeks ago! 
Ps I'm in Bundaberg :)

We have a lot of active Members in Queensland ( We were in Bundaberg for a flying visit late last year - looked nice what we saw)

There is an Auto Transmission issue with some (mainly) more recent cars (2010/11) so worth a double check .. 30,000 is low though (Would be covered under warranty if any thing wrong, of course)    :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I have taken to local dealer who says nothing wrong

Thanks

Probably, the "No fault codes returned" excuse again, they really need to stop doing that. If someone brings a car in that has a fault big enough to take the time to go in and report it, then they should look until the fault is identified, not plug in a computer analyzer and say it's all ok. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have taken to local dealer who says nothing wrong

Thanks

Probably, the "No fault codes returned" excuse again, they really need to stop doing that. If someone brings a car in that has a fault big enough to take the time to go in and report it, then they should look until the fault is identified, not plug in a computer analyzer and say it's all ok. :fum:

Very well said Phil... :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... they should look until the fault is identified, not plug in a computer analyzer and say it's all ok. :fum:
I sometimes wonder if these dealerships simply do what you and I can do - ie read out any codes in the ECU, rather than look at the "pending codes" which are those stored pending automatic reset.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Quite possibly, I haven't had to report anything at all yet, but if I did I'd hate to be standing there with a techie saying "there's nothing wrong, no fault codes"  :mad:

It seems this type of service varies a lot, coz recently we had four techs reportedly in a car to find a rattle, that's very good service.  :goodjob2:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have a friend (true  :P) who I caught up with yesterday and he has a 2011 2.0 litre automatic i30 and I asked him what he was getting per tank.
He said in a mix of urban and highway driving he gets around 500 km which he wasn't too happy with either.
I thought I'd better not tell him that I'm getting double that from the diesel but then I thought, what the heck, I will. So I did.  :D
He wishes he'd bought a diesel.
I do think that 500 kms is rather low for the petrol though.  :disapp:
If the tank is 53 litres and you got somewhere around 8l/100 km (the combined cycle is @ 7.7 from memory??) then that would give you 650 km + per tank.
I know that Jeff isn't a leadfoot - just drives normally and sedately.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Poor Jeff    :blubber:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal