i30 Owners Club

No Lights on some controls knobs and iphone contacts name not displaying

Offline gerardryan

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Oola
Hello All,
My name is Gerard from Ireland.I bought me first i30 Elite Plus on May 14th and so far enjoying the ride. I've noticed some minor issues though which I'd appreciate feedback on please;
a) There are illuminations on the steering wheel control buttons but not on the knobs which control the lights and wipers. This makes these knob controls invisible at night time! Is there a problem with my illuminations on these controls knobs (for the lights and wipers) or are all cars the same ?
b) I have downloaded my iphone 4 contacts but the cantacts name does not appear with an incoming call only their number. Has anyone found a setting to solve this and display the name of the contact calling you?
c) Also there is no light in the little holding area below the USB connector panel.. This also makes finding bits and pieces which you might have in this little box area difficult to see and find at night time.
d) The volume when using my ipod needs much higher adjustment than the radio. Not good when you are switching between devices. Is there a setting to solve this issue?
e) You cant explore ipod in bluetooth mode  only when connect via USB?. Is this correct?

All feedback will be very welcome and appreciated please.     

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome aboard Gerardryan,

I can't help you, but there are others who can, I'm sure.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Gerard... I can't help with the Ipod Questions as we use thumb drives only (and our usb connection is in the bin between the seats in Australia - Korean Built cars)

As far as (a) and (b) goes.. the Wiper and Light switches aren't illuminated in the i30 or any other car I've had (unless they have been on the dash) and I don't think you can make the names display...  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Hello All,
My name is Gerard from Ireland.I bought me first i30 Elite Plus on May 14th and so far enjoying the ride. I've noticed some minor issues though which I'd appreciate feedback on please;
a) There are illuminations on the steering wheel control buttons but not on the knobs which control the lights and wipers. This makes these knob controls invisible at night time! Is there a problem with my illuminations on these controls knobs (for the lights and wipers) or are all cars the same ?
My new i30 does not have lights in the control knobs - I doubt that many cars do - if any

b) I have downloaded my iphone 4 contacts but the cantacts name does not appear with an incoming call only their number. Has anyone found a setting to solve this and display the name of the contact calling you?
I downloaded my Samsung phone contacts to the car- but only the incoming numbers are displayed and not the names

c) Also there is no light in the little holding area below the USB connector panel.. This also makes finding bits and pieces which you might have in this little box area difficult to see and find at night time.
My car is the same as yours

d) The volume when using my ipod needs much higher adjustment than the radio. Not good when you are switching between devices. Is there a setting to solve this issue?
I can't help with this - I don't use an iPod

e) You cant explore ipod in bluetooth mode  only when connect via USB?. Is this correct?
I can't help with this - I don't use an iPod

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline gerardryan

• 1st Gear

Oola
Many thanks for the replies folks. Im dissapointed that the callers name is not displayed as it it in other cars once the contact name and number has been downloaded. I'll contact Hyundai direcfly to see if they have a fix for this..
Looks like the bulb in my boot compartment is not working tonight. Not good in a week old car! Still its little complain I suppose but you dont want to see any nagatives in a car which is just one week old and I hope its  not the start of electrical issues in general.
Im still surpsided that the knobs for the lights and wipers are not illuminated..the controls are completely invisible by night..Not good !.. Any comments ????

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Can you tell us of a vehicle where the stalks are lit. I find it unneccessary because there are so many functions, that to look and identify them while driving would be hazardous. I expect that as you drive the car you will become accustomed to the feel and functions of each stalk. It took me a while but I've got it worked out now.  :neutral:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Im still surpsided that the knobs for the lights and wipers are not illuminated..the controls are completely invisible by night..Not good !.. Any comments ????

I don't think I've ever driven a car that have had these knobs illuminated.....well, none that I recall anyhow....  :undecided:

Me thinks if this is a requirement then perhaps your driving should be limited to daylight hours....  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks like the bulb in my boot compartment is not working tonight. Not good in a week old car! Still its little complain I suppose but you dont want to see any nagatives in a car which is just one week old and I hope its  not the start of electrical issues in general.

I am guessing the boot light switch might have been bumped... Electrical issues are very rare in the i30 :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gerardryan

• 1st Gear

Oola
Boot light is working again. Not sure why that issue arose but I'm glad its OK :)  ...
I agree that I will become accustomed to the stalk controls without actually seeing them as time progresses. However, illumination the options I feel is a good idea.
Now I'm still left with the issue of phone callers name not displaying eventho the caller is listed in my contacts..only the number is being displayed for incoming calls ...anyone find a fix for this  ?

I also noticed today that the radio remained on after I removed the keys. inserting the keys and withdrawing again worked  but strange one!!.

Also, if I switch the radio off the voice commands are deactivated as well. Incoming calls can be heard over the audio sustem but voice commands are not. I suppose the logic is, if the display is off its off, but the option of having voice commands in sleep mode only, is better I feel, and awoken evewry time the steering wheel button is pressed .             

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't have bluetooth in my car, so can't help there, however, it sounds like it ay be possible to configure it the way you want. Only a knowledgeable dealer could help though, good luck.  :neutral:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal