i30 Owners Club

Diesel Injector Cleaner not available

Hornet · 14 · 5157

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I have used Hyundai Diesel Injector Cleaner as required during the warranty period. The Injector Cleaner, Chemtec and good fuel has provided good trouble (and Diesel Bug) free performance. It also fixed a fuel problem (dirty injectors?) that caused rough motor performance when the CRDI had traveled under 5k and I accelerated between 1500 and 2000 RPM. Well now I am told Hyundai no longer provide a Diesel Injector Cleaner for sale in Hyundai Spare Parts Departments.

The parts sales person said "Use the petrol injector cleaner It will do the same job"

I am not prepared to accept this as correct and would appreciate advice from our knowledgeable Members on the following as I now detect slight hesitation in acceleration and poorer fuel performance. In the past this has been fixed by using the Hy Diesel Injector Cleaner.

My questions are
1. Should I use Hyundai Petrol Injector Cleaner in the CRDI engine?
2. Is there a good alternative like Penrite or Wynns
3. Are there any other suggestions

Thanks in advance
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would personally not use a petrol fuel injector cleaner in a diesel unless it states on the bottle suitable for all modern direct injection diesels as well or something to that effect.

If it were you I would source another name brand diesel injector cleaner like Wynns or Penrite like you stated.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
As long as the packaging labels its precise applicability, even Repco will do.

http://www.repco.com.au/CA2571B70016E7AE/page/Our+Range-Oils+enc(38)+Additives-Range+of+Additives?OpenDocument&1=03-Our+Range~&2=01-Oils+enc(38)+Additives~&3=10-Range+of+Additives~
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you run a good fuel like BP ultimate diesel you'll have no need to use fuel additives, at minimal I'd make every 3rd tank ultimate.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Craig. I only use the good premium Caltex fuel so that should be as good as BP. The drop in performance and hesitation comes on after about 30,000k and Hy recommends their Injector cleaner every 30,000k or that is what happened during services while the unit was under warranty. I will look at other cleaners as suggested to see what will be the best one to use.
I wonder what Hy are using when they service new vehicles still under warranty, petrol injector cleaner!!!!!! I certainly would not do that or allow Hy to do it.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I suspect that if you went back and asked the Hy guy to put his recommendation in writing, he'd change his tune. :winker:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Did not go back to see the Hyundai spare parts guy who said "Use the Petrol Injector" but confirmed with another that the Hyundai Diesel Injector Cleaner was not now available. He also stated Hyundai did not recommend injector cleaner use and if any 3rd party injector cleaner was used and detected in the fuel tank, Hyundai would cancel the warranty. Seems strange since injector cleaner in my i30 was necessary from near new (5,000k) and thereafter every 30,000k  despite using what I consider to be the best (and dearest) fuel available. Injector cleaner was recommended and used by the local Hyundai dealer service center during my warranty period that expired this month.
I would suggest caution should any members consider using injector cleaner during the warranty period.
My problem was slow starting, poor  economy and missing when engine cold and operating between 1500 and 2000 rpm. So I decided to use Wynns Diesel Total Fuel System Cleaner, about $12 from Repco and $10 at Kmart. One bottle in the empty tank prior to refilling, a 200k drive on the highway and now the car is performing like it should, all good  :goodjob2:
When I replace my i30 this is one item I will want clarified before I sign the cheque.
I reiterate for members "ASK ABOUT YOU WARRANTY BEFORE YOU USE ANY INJECTOR CLEANER"
Thanks for tmembers comments above , they helped me  a lot   

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Something sounds very wrong here...  :undecided:

Modern fuels contain "injector cleaners"

So, if this claim about Hyundai is correct, your warranty is voided as soon as you fill your tank...  :crazy1:  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think Hyundai would have a fight on their hands if they tried to blame Wynns or similar for causing an issue with the injectors.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Datsdaway, pitch 2 multinationals at each other and watch the fur fly. :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've sent off an email to Hyundai Australia asking the question, be interesting to see if I get any response...  :victory:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Great stuff Rusty. I checked with the Hyundai in the adjoining town of Maryborough Queensland to see if Hy Diesel Injector Cleaner was available there. The answer was the same as Bundy "It is not available"
I had a Toyota 60 Series Factory Turbo Diesel that did just over 500,000k without any service to the injectors. After a rebuild of the fuel system following a Bug problem at 200,000K I used a complete diesel fuel system cleaner every 40 to 50 thousand k and Chemtec in between (suggested by RACQ on the Sunshine Coast). If I were to purchase a new i30 CRDI and was not allowed to use a fuel/injector cleaner for five years, based on the history of my present i30, the new one would be running very, very poorly (or not at all) and possibly infected with the diesel bug because of our humid climate in central Queensland.
Before I change to a new Hy I will also ask questions about this policy. In the meantime I will continue using Wynns and Chemtec in between, I now have no warranty to worry about but I feel concern for members who may have.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Funny how recommendations and guidelines change depending on the dealer. Not sure even they know what to use or not. My car was out of warranty and got some fuel problems. Local dealer recommended and added injector cleaner into the tank. Also dealer recommended using fuel/injector cleaner with brand new 2014 1.6GDI petrol engine.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal