i30 Owners Club

Carbon build-up in air intake, upper part of the engine

Offline whaleshark

• 2nd Gear
Hey i30 owners

Have you encountered this before?

I went for my 37,500km service today ($315), and to fix up my ESP issue.

And they told me that my engine has some carbon build-up in the air intake, upper part of the engine.

They are happy to clean it up with some liquid and high-pressure washing ($125).

I always use Caltex Voltex Diesel, and use engine oil from the car dealer. In fact all my services are done by them.

They said they would revert my "settings" to factory default, after cleaning??? I don't "mod" my car and never use any of those tuning chips or ECU re-wiring. I'm a basic  A2B2C guy. only have windows tints and after-market alloys.

They would replaced the brake fault light to fix my ESP issue under warranty (2nd time they have done that.)

Today my pocket has a big hole - ($315 + $125 + $32 for wheel alignment check ) * 110 for GST ~ close to 500 bucks.

I'm looking for another service shop for my next service (btw which would cost $900 at the next interval according to them).

Any recommendations/comments? Much appreciated! I live in North Sydney.

Whally....

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline whaleshark

• 2nd Gear
I wrote the first post while waiting. At the end of whole episode the Customer Service Rep said the "clean-up" wasn't done and didn't bill me as such.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I wrote the first post while waiting. At the end of whole episode the Customer Service Rep said the "clean-up" wasn't done and didn't bill me as such.

Thank goodness for that, they were taking the p*ss in my opinion.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Whally,

Can't recommend any independents in your area but worth asking around (Like Lorian said I wouldn't be in a hurry to use the dealer again)

That Carbon build up thing.. sounds a bit odd to me  :scared:

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Yep its definitely a dealership 'upsell'  You can however get soot buildup in the intake from the EGR.  Not sure if its an issue in the i30 but some other diesels have had major coronary plaque buildup causing an air restriction and overfueling leading eventually to a ventilated piston.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've read recently that if the car does short, stop, start trips you need to, at least weekly, run the car at over 40 mpg for at least 5 miles.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
You can however get soot buildup in the intake from the EGR.

Yeah, I mentioned this somewhere here and wondered whether low SAPS oil would be worthwhile for this potential problem.

I guess we have to wait for someone to take the lid off or expose the inlet manifold before we will know.

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Mum says I'm special...Newcastle NSW
    • Flickr Photos
I'm sure it was a Dealership "upsell", where they romote non genuine products that in my opinion do nothing other than increase profits for the Service Department. Why the car companies allow this to occur is beyond me as any increase in the servicing costs to the customer will reflect poorly on the brand in the long term. You'll also be interested to know that the counter sales staff are paid a commission on each of these additional products they sell, so they usually push/sell/promote them very hard indeed. Other upsell products are injector flush, engine oil flush and air conditioning flush.
Dont be caught out by them, you're wasting your money if you do.   

Offline Torquey

• 2nd Gear
  • Sydney AU

• au Australia
      Sydney

• CW SLX CRDi
Hi whaleshark,

Was the service centre in Roseville? I was planning on using them (but not serviced the car yet)

I think that place also services Fiat & Alpha so are used to many customers having more dollars than sense ;-)

Pip
Most of the snake oil treatments have some basis in fact. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss this one.

There is some evidence that the lack of "washing" from the fuel (due to direct injection bypassing these bits) causes the recycled contaminents to deposit on the manifold and inlet valves.

As I said earlier, using an oil that reduces the soot (low SAPS) might be not only be better for the environment but better for the engine.

If the contamination is real it will (probably) also affect engine efficiency which in turn causes even more emissions and perhaps lowered fuel economy.

All supposition, but the logic (and pictures I've seen on the web) are a little convincing.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
The problem with this sort of treatment is there is no way to quantify its effects or even tell if the dealership has done the work you pay for.  The Nissan diesels I've seen with soot build up from the EGR were way past passive treatments, they needed to be pulled apart and soaked in decarbonising solution for a day or two then manually scrubbed out and refitted.  Ongoing treatments like this may help but personally I doubt it.  Hyundai do not list it as a service requirement so I'll be steering clear until the warranty runs out then I'll take off the inlet manifold for a look.  I'm hoping the later model EGR systems combined with common rail injection have addressed this issue and it is nothing to worry about.

Pip
The problem with this sort of treatment...
Just to clarify, I'm not supporting the treatment... just saying that which it portends to cure might be real. And I see that you also accept that. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal