i30 Owners Club

My MPG

Johnno · 14 · 4347

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Global Moderator Comment Split from :link: Single Journey MPG

I thought I'll tag onto this thread instead of starting a new one as Mark as a similar chariot as mine but mines a auto.

had the car for 5 weeks now and this is the first time I've been able to properly get behind the wheel as the other half as hogged it every bloody day since we've had it. Did around trip of about 90 miles, about 85 miles of it was motorway. Bolton to Cheshire Oaks outlet village near Ellesmere Port. Weather was crap driving wind and rain, it was blowing the car around a bit

Going there I kept to 70 mph most of the time and I think the rev counter was showing about 2250 when I came off the motorway the T/C was showing 50.4.

For the return journey back I decided to lower the speed on the motorway and keep it at 60 mph and i think the revs were 1750 and when i came off the motorway the T/C was showing 60.2.

Now going there and back the T/C was showing higher figures when i was driving on the flat but the inclines cancelled it out.
If the weather would of been dry and no wind i would think the figures might be slightly better

just want to know how does these figures compare to other users motors with a auto box

PS, the only reset i did was the mpg
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 22:10:28 by Johnno »
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Those figures are about 4.5. to 5.5 l/100k which is spot on with what you can expect on a reasonable distance trip and pretty good for an auto.

For economy about 50 mph is the optimum speed, but that is an unrealistic speed for your motorways.

:offtopic:
You may have done even better had the weather been kinder to you on the day. I hear it's been a bit rough over there recently.

we have this to look forward to today, quite pleasant.

:link: Mount Barker weather - local weather forecast
 :backontopic:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Thats what I thought that it is pretty good for a auto.

around town its 30 mpg but thats a lot of stopping and starting in traffic

The other half had a little vauxhall corsa 1.4 petrol 4 speed auto and the best she could ever manage was 40 mpg tops and that was driving it like my granny and it weighed a lot less than the i30

The temp on the way there dropped as low 3c, snow is forecast for tonight/tomorrow and in some parts of the UK its been snowing already.

and this is way off topic, anyone living near Cheshire oaks and need a winter jacket, nip into Mountain warehouse, I bought a snow jacket for £34.99 should of been £120 and its rated to -20c.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's a good deal for the jacket, too bad it's so far away.  :blubber:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a good deal for the jacket, too bad it's so far away.  :blubber:

Sounds good but probably overkill for you Phil or even me! I have a thing for Jackets but half my jackets are too warm on all but about 5 days of the year..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If I had one, I wouldn't have to run the gas heater in Winter saving $$$  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rofl: :head_butt:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :oops: :backontopic:

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Another question, does anyone drive round in eco mode, mines been on since day one of owning the car and with not driving it much i don't know what difference it makes. I did read somewhere that someone had to floor it everytime he sets off from the lights but i found mine quite nippy pulling away as much so i can get wheel spin without flooring it if the road is damp.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Drove to Manchester last night to watch The Who and got 56.1 mpg. When I got home it had dropped to 51.1mpg suggesting I only got 46.1mpg on the return journey. Might have driven slightly faster on the way home (80mph as opposed to 75/77mph) but wasn't expecting that much difference. Tail wind ?   

Could have experienced a DPF re-generation on return journey (search forum for explanations)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Drove to Manchester last night to watch The Who and got 56.1 mpg. When I got home it had dropped to 51.1mpg suggesting I only got 46.1mpg on the return journey. Might have driven slightly faster on the way home (80mph as opposed to 75/77mph) but wasn't expecting that much difference. Tail wind ?   

Could have experienced a DPF re-generation on return journey (search forum for explanations)

Is there a dash warning light for when it re-generates?
 if not there should be so to let you know

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is there a dash warning light for when it re-generates?
 if not there should be so to let you know

Alanho posted a list of ways you can tell somewhere on here.. But the drop in fuel economy is the most obvious one.

We are lucky, the i30 diesel still doesn't get a DPF in Australia (even the ones imported from the Euro Factory (Tourer)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
just want to add on to this.

Since i did that little trip last month my mpg as now gone from 29-30 knocking around to 31.4 to 31.8, it's not been on a motorway  since so i dont know how much that would improve if any

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal