i30 Owners Club

Dash lights fading to nothing and back on again

Offline deafone

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Croydon, Victoria

• 2012 Hyper Silver Elite Auto/Petrol
Hi all this is my first input. My car is a 2012 i30 elite petrol auto.

On a recent trip from Melbourne, Victoria to Bermagui, NSW and return, about 1,500 Ks all up, I drove with my headlights on as a daylight safety precaution.

What happened was my dash lights faded to nothing for a while and eventually returned to normal, this happened constantly throughout journey.

On my return trip I stopped for petrol and some time later observed that the dash lights were full on and didn't fade, making me wonder that perhaps the control for headlights had possibly corrected itself.

Has anyone else have this happen to them, or have I got a unique bug? If you did, what action was taken to correct this glitch?
  • 2012 i30 elite petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
On the GD 2012 model, the instrument lights are supposed to be on whenever the IGN is on. I wish my car had that feature. If the lights are not performing this way, then it's a warranty repair, regardless of the cause. Advise your dealer.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi deafone

:wttc:

As your car is that new, let the dealer fix it under warranty.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In my car the instrument lights seem to vary in intensity according to ambient light conditions. They are full on when it is bright outside and dim when it is dark.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
So not only are they on at all times, they are using the auto light sensor too, didn't know that. :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline deafone

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Croydon, Victoria

• 2012 Hyper Silver Elite Auto/Petrol
Hello Asterix and thank you for your welcome.

Yes, when I go for my 12 month service next week it is going to be reported. The reason I posted was to see if anyone else had the same problem, I thought it would be handy to mention at service that I am not the only one that this has happened to.

At all times around the city with lights on at night time (normally in the manual setting) this has not happened.

When it happened the lights were not positioned on auto but seeing as it was daytime the lights were on manual
  • 2012 i30 elite petrol

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
In my 2013 GD, dash lights are always bright when the lights switch is at Off (only LED DRLs lit outside).

When putting the switch into any other position, dash lights are either bright or dim depending of ambient lighting. There is a switch for adjusting dash lights brightness, however that is effective only for dimmed mode. In bright mode it's always full brightness.

I think the OP may have had brightness at minimum setting, which would be quite dim even in darkness and therefore unnoticeable in daylight.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal