i30 Owners Club

Acoustic padding in driver's door? (2008 Comfort)

Marci · 30 · 6573

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Afternoon all... Recently acquired a 2008 i30 Comfort with FSH and 40k on the clock, and noticed the driver's door doesn't thud like the rest. It dongs. Presuming some acoustic material has dropped within the door & the outer skin is no longer vibration damped...

Can anyone advise if this is home-fixable, and ideally how?? Car has a 1yr aftermarket warranty, but doesn't cover this unfortunately :(
  • 2008 FD i30 Comfort 1.6, petrol, red

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Marci

:wttc:

If there's 1 year warranty on the car, why would this not be covered... :question:

I think there's some post's around here regarding removal of the door Card, try the search option.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Mine is the same, no idea why though!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here's how to remove the door Card.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=570.msg4428#msg4428

As seen in pic 7, the metal plate is also needed removed.

Haven't tried it on a Hyundai, but here's how it's done on a VW using same type:

Unplug the 2 round rubber covers, roll window down until you see the bottom of the window in the holes of the rubber covers.
Loosen screws under window and then lift out the window from the door.
Remove all the screws around the edge of the metal plate
Unplug all cables and connectors from the metal plate.
Remove screws from door lock.
Then there's a Little cable connected from the door lock to the outer door handle, that also have to be removed from the handle.

You should now be able to remove the metal plate from the door.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Ta fer the welcome! Have read that thread 3 times this morning before signing up, and not once noticed those bolts on the inner panel behind the card in pic 7  :head_butt:

As for the warranty - it's an aftermarket UK warranty, and thus is next to useless unless the engine has spat it's guts all over road. Silver level (with a £60 excess) by JD Concepts Ltd, provided by Cars2 Hyundai (who were giving away 2yrs free servicing and 3yrs free MOT with the purchase of a 1 yr warranty on used cars). It's paperwork states:

Excluded from ALL Levels of Cover
i) All bodywork, handles & hinges, interior/exterior trim, brightwork, paint, glass (including front & rear heated screens & elements), weatherstrips, rubber seals, sheet metal, sun roof panels, seals, carpets, seat belts, wiper arms/blades, wheels & tyres, wheel alignment/balancing, adjustments...

...and that's just the first paragraph of 2 pages of exclusions!

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Mine is the same, no idea why though!

I'm sure I read (somewhere online but can no longer work out what I searched for to get to it) that there are acoustic dampening pads attached to the side impact struts within the doors, and these occasionally fall off the strut and drop into the bottom of the door. Usually they'd dampen the centre of the door panel, but once dropped into bottom it'd leave a large un-damped resonant area that rings when the door is shut. Re-attachment to the strut (i.e.: plentiful application of gaffa tape) cures the prob.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I won't be dismantling my door now, too late for any personal benefit, I hope the next owner enjoys the car as much as I did, they are a very very good car for the money!  :goodjob2:

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Am definitely liking it... it's price tag was excellent (although destroyed by the finance rates). My car history is brief as up til 2 years ago I went everywhere on 2 wheels (CBR600) but time finally came that a car was needed. Was driving round in a £700 2000 Focus 1.9 TDDi til a daft sod in a CRV smashed into me at 50mph from behind whilst I was stationary. Insurance gave me a '12 i30 Active diesel courtesy car - fell in love, but no where near affordable for me, so a used 1st Gen seemed worth a try... just trying to cure it's 5yr old niggles.

Some ham fisted monkey has snapped the tabs off one of the rear reg plate lamps and stuffed it in backwards to get it to stay in place, the driver door issue above, and a brief screech after engine fires til starter disengages are it's only probs at the mo.

Am trying to work out whether that screech will be covered by the (pants) warranty, but I somehow doubt it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well the add on's to the warranty are probably worth more than the £££ you paid for the 1 year warranty
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Marci, as you can see the forum is full of helpful and friendly members (so please stick around)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Am trying to work out whether that screech will be covered by the (pants) warranty, but I somehow doubt it.

I've had a similar thought.. :whistler:

:wttc:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It would appear the screech is something to do with the power steering, so I may be lucky on that one!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It would appear the screech is something to do with the power steering, so I may be lucky on that one!

How can this be, the power steering is electrical, not hydraulic.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Belts may be the issue here

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
How can this be, the power steering is electrical, not hydraulic.

Here's the average scenario: start engine. From second the engine actually fires to the starter disengaging, you get the typical belt screech; just for a second or two then back to usually purry quietness. Generally, that's it. However, this weekend the routine ran as above, but then the second I turned the steering wheel, Mr Screech returned and didn't go away until I turned engine off and restarted. On restart, perfect.  Same problem this morning too, ergo - something to do with Power Steering.

Belts may be the issue here

Most definitely. Shall be giving the dealer a call this morning!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Ok, well the alternator is belt driven, if the power steering is performing work by steering the wheels, an electrical load is placed on the alternator which is perfectly normal. The drive belt could be slipping and require adjustment.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yep - tis the only conclusion I could come to... either worn Alternator belt, or a fault in the PAS that is causing it to request more power than it should. Am dropping it off at the dealers this evening on my way home, and have arranged to work from home tomorrow. Will see what they come back with (and whether they charge me).

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Apparently 'tis fixed with nothing to pay... altho that could've been as a result of my stern-faced reminder that I only purchased the car from them 12 days ago when the Service Team stated "we have to advise you that there'll be a diagnostic charge to ascertain the fault..."

I can pick it up in an hour - they're giving it a free valet whilst they've got it (that'll be twice in as many weeks as it was done the day before I picked it up - must be the cleanest car in town!).  :happydance:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Did they say what it was and what have they done to the far?

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Just needed the alternator belt tightening... all sorted.

HOWEVER.

Walked out of dealership to my shiny clean car, went to put my rucksack in the rear footwell, opened the driver's side rear door, and nothing happened. Looked down to realise I was still holding the handle. Walked back into dealership & plonked handle on the service desk with a wry smile on my face.

They'll call me when it's replacement arrives and I'll have to drop the car back in then.  :head_butt:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Hmmm Friday afternoon car?  :disapp:

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
The thread which SHOULD be part of the handle end bit (the bit that doesn't move towards left hand end of the handle) is still on it's associated bolt in the door - sheared around the base of the extrusion / moulding. And once that one bit goes, the entire handle just comes straight outta the door when you pull on it.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

5 minute job to replace.

No need to remove door card etc as bolts can be got at from the outside door edge....well they can for front doors.......

I had front drivers done on my fd

Ps what happended to the padding.
may need to change title

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ps what happended to the padding.
may need to change title

It's ok we have just been padding out the thread.. :lol:

^ what Mike said about the handle!  :eek:

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Heh... padding not covered by the warranty so I'll be tackling that myself, once the door handle issue is resolved by the dealer (still waiting).

Offline Marci

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Oh aye, forgot to mention.... Rear left ball joint went last week, and the radio crashed today... just went silent (aux input still worked tho). Turn ignition off and on again, radio returned.  :censored:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh aye, forgot to mention.... Rear left ball joint went last week, and the radio crashed today... just went silent (aux input still worked tho). Turn ignition off and on again, radio returned.  :censored:

Jeepers, sounds like your car was made at either 9am on a Monday or 4pm on a Friday! :undecided: :fum:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal