ISG Not Working

AlanHo · 6 · 2256

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My car has not been on any long runs over the past two weeks - my wife has been the main daily user and always on short trips of less than 5 miles in the town.

When I drove it yesterday the ISG did not work. So I put the battery on charge overnight. This morning when I used the car - the ISG started working OK within the first mile. This proved that  low battery charge was the culprit.

I guess the problem originates from the fact that some cars with ISG - and mine is one of them - only charge the battery on engine over-run when you are slowing down. This is to harvest energy that would otherwise be wasted by braking or rolling/wind resistance. Short urban journeys don't give the battery enough charge to recover - particularly if the iSG is being invoked often. One of my neighbours has a VW Polo with similar behaviour and this morning said that he did a 60 mile round trip by motorway which had failed to recharge the battery enough last month. I speculated that if he was on a clear motorway and never had cause to lift off the accelerator - the fact he was cruising on a long journey may well not provide enough engine over-run events to get much charge into the battery.

This quest for low carbon emissions - be it DPF or ISG sure has its drawbacks.

So those with ISG take note - if it stops activating and you have recently only done short trips - give your battery a charge. But use the appropriate charger because your car has a special battery for stop and go usage.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I take it It does not say this in the advertising stuff.

So alan why not write to the manufacturer and see what response they provide.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't think much of that system at all. If it's hot weather and you use the AC, wouldn't you possibly be left unable to start the car  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

ISG is deactivated if the A/C is on a high setting or if the battery voltage falls below a certain level. Hence it does not materially relate to the scenario you mention.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
So if ISG deactivates, the alternator starts alternating like non ISG vehicles, right  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

So if ISG deactivates, the alternator starts alternating like non ISG vehicles, right  :exclaim:

I honestly haven't a clue what happens.  I defy any layman to factually answer that question - no matter how reasonable it is.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal