i30 Owners Club

Right wing mirror slightly damaged

Offline gsydi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• 2014 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Blue
All,

Accidently hit the right wing mirror with a pole while parking.   :-[   Thankfully, not much damage has happened but the top of the  mirror is coming apart.
Could you guys please give pointers of fixing the mirror? I'm sure it can be done DIY but I don't seem to find any video or image instructions online.

Photo for reference.

:link: Damaged Wing Mirror - Album on Imgur

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • i30 Elite 2014

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The black trim clicketh into place  :goodjob:

So, have you attempted to push it back onto it's clips?   

If you have and it is so damaged that it will not clicketh back onto it's retainers then you'll have to whip the glass out and have a look.  To removed the glass you will need a screw driver or similar levering device with some padding wrapped to prevent damage slot the levering device under the glass from the bottom then be brave and lever the glass out.   Having removed the glass you will now see the srews holding the black trim in place.

The dealership will advice you that you cannot buy the black trim and attempt to sell you the whole mirror, for which you will need to re-mortgage your home.   So, it's off the the breakers/scrappers to find a replacment which may be slightly different to your one and need some gently butchering.

Voila job sorted.
Good luck
 :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Or if lugs damaged and need to replace, push back flat with say bluetack to hold in place until you source replacement.

Do not use super type glue unless you don't intend to replace
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

"Asa" seems to have covered it very well! If the mirror is still working fine with regard to electric adjustment etc, but the retaining clips are broken I would just glue it with Loctite 401 glue permanently (not superglue, which is crap)

"She'll be right mate"  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gsydi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• 2014 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Blue
Thanks Asathorny and others for the help.

I did try to click the trim back into the slot but no luck. Thankfully, the mechanical movement seems to be unaffected.
I did see some glass mirror removing videos; not sure that I will be able to pull it out without breaking. Anyhow, will give it a try tonight and see if I have the courage to go through it  :crazy2:

Else dealership it will be.  :(   If their quote does break the bank, I'll stick it with the glue.
  • i30 Elite 2014

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal