i30 Owners Club

Problems getting invoices from garage? Any ideas, please?

Buel · 26 · 6242

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Hi all.
Thanks partly to you guys on here, my wife bought a 2013 i30 a few weeks ago.
I was just trying to make sure that the previous services used genuine Hyundai parts, so that the 5 year waranty won't be invalidated, but when I rang the garage they said (rather rudely) that they can't provide the invoices for a 'third party' (even though I explained that my wife now owned the car) and that I would have to get the previous owner to contact them.

Please can I ask if they are correct in this and, if so, apart from contacting the previous owner, is there anything that I can do?

Thanks in advance,
B
  • i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I guess I can see their concerns about privacy.
However, surely they could just confirm for you that the services have been carried out as per the book.
Strange though. I keep all my service and repair invoices in the service manual in the car. Did that not come with the car?
If not that's a bit suspicious.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Thanks for that. I should really check but my wife is away for a few days at a work event and the car is in an airport car park. However, even though the book is stamped, I'm 90% sure that the invoices weren't there.

We bought the car from a Hyundai dealer who assures me that it's under the 5 year guarantee. This might seem a bit over the top, but I'm trying to find out that it is actually 'water-tight', so to speak. Hence me trying to find that genuine filters and appropriate oil were used so that, if we ever have to claim, we know where we stand.
  • i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If book stamped by hy dealer then i would presume correct items used and therefore warranty intact so long as services done at correct intervals
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree if the book is stamped by a Hyundai dealer I don't think you need any more.

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Apologies, I should clarify - it's stamped by dealer for the first at 10,000 but this other non-dealer garage stamped at 20,000, 30,000 and 40,000 miles.
  • i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In Australia provided the workshop was legally qualified mechanically, that wouldn't matter.
To negate the warranty, Hyundai would have to prove a part of lesser quality had been used.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Apologies, I should clarify - it's stamped by dealer for the first at 10,000 but this other non-dealer garage stamped at 20,000, 30,000 and 40,000 miles.
Ok i can see why you need invoices as non hy dealer and if I'm correct the t&c's will require proof of items used.

Have you tried contacting the previous owner to see if they still have invoices?

Or

Ask garage to just detail service invoices without customer details?

Or

Speak to hy uk or local hy garage and ask them if by chance service details had been recorded on hy's data base?

And what is situation re warranty?

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Ok i can see why you need invoices as non hy dealer and if I'm correct the t&c's will require proof of items used.

Have you tried contacting the previous owner to see if they still have invoices?

Or

Ask garage to just detail service invoices without customer details?

Or

Speak to hy uk or local hy garage and ask them if by chance service details had been recorded on hy's data base?

And what is situation re warranty?

I have tried Googling the previous owner's name and address but haven't had any luck so I have emailed the Hyundai dealer we bought from to ask if he can put us in contact with him.

I rang a Hyundai dealer/garage earlier and they said that in event of a claim, Hyundai would want to see proof of genuine parts and correct oil had been used. I didn't ask about the database but I'll do that now, thank you for that - a great call and worth a shot!

I'll ask the garage about just the invoices with just the details right now.

I'll update you all shortly.....
  • i30

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Interesting - just put on my most polite personality and rang the garage who did the services. He again said he wouldn't be able to send the invoices (I explained that all I wanted were the details) and when he asked why I wanted them, I explained about the genuine parts issue with the Hyundai warranty. He said they definitely would not have used Hyundai parts but would have used 'warranty compliant' parts. Now, that may seem good enough for him but I believe that Hyundai specify that genuine parts should be used.
So......I guess it's not in warranty then?
  • i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I think you will find - if the same as KIA that the warranty insists on genuine Hyundai parts or their equivalents.

I guess your fall-back position is to get the dealer you bought the car off to state IN WRITING that the car is fully covered for the remainder of the warranty.  It then puts the onus on them to comply.

If they are not willing to do this - then insist on them providing you with a third party warranty, at their cost, for the period that the Hyundai warranty would have lasted.

If they refuse to come to the party - you probably have grounds for taking them to the small claims court for either a full refund on what you paid - or for the costs of a proper warranty because they mislead you when buying the car that there was a warranty in place
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
I think you will find - if the same as KIA that the warranty insists on genuine Hyundai parts or their equivalents.

I guess your fall-back position is to get the dealer you bought the car off to state IN WRITING that the car is fully covered for the remainder of the warranty.  It then puts the onus on them to comply.

If they are not willing to do this - then insist on them providing you with a third party warranty, at their cost, for the period that the Hyundai warranty would have lasted.

If they refuse to come to the party - you probably have grounds for taking them to the small claims court for either a full refund on what you paid - or for the costs of a proper warranty because they mislead you when buying the car that there was a warranty in place

Gosh you guys are good, thank you.

Last week I emailed the dealer we bought off regarding the warranty and whether he could provide proof of it and he replied with this:

The warranty is registered on the Hyundai system for Danielle when we changed the ownership of the vehicle, I am afraid there is no paperwork to support that.

• i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Gosh you guys are good, thank you.

Last week I emailed the dealer we bought off regarding the warranty and whether he could provide proof of it and he replied with this:

The warranty is registered on the Hyundai system for Danielle when we changed the ownership of the vehicle, I am afraid there is no paperwork to support that.
Ok

Now ring hy uk on monday to confirm.

Also, ask them to confim warranty is still valid.

If they reply it is not then say dealer said it was!

Ask if they will take this issue up with the dealer and for letter/email so you can also take it up with dealer.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ps
Forgot to say

Read the t&c's in the service book as it details what info needs to be on invoices and quality of parts expected to be used.

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Fantastic!!

I have emailed Hyundai UK and explained the situation. I have also emailed the dealer to ask him to put me in contact with the previous owner, however, that's not that important now. I guess the ball is now rolling....
Thank you for the help. I shall keep you updated! ;)
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Buel, some good help and advice in this thread. Don't forget to archive and also print out any emails with promises or confirmations etc..

Hopefully you won't need evidence as they are a pretty reliable car, but nice to have just in case...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kangeroo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My experience with warrantys from hyundai or the dealer are not worth the paper they are written on.All servicing on my new hyundai i have performed.I no what oil/filter i have put in and what checks i have made.I dont care who they are there all the same. my advise              AVOID
  • hyundai I30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

One of my wife's friends has a Toyota Yaris which she failed to get serviced on time. A few months later the central locking failed and the dealer declined a repair FOC because the car had not been serviced in accordance with the schedule.

I told her to write to them and advise that the door mechanism was not an item included in the service schedule and therefore would have happened anyway. Also that she would pay for the repair and then make a claim against them via the small claims court for the repair cost plus the court fees and her expenses.

Bottom line - they carried out the repair under warranty and did the service she had missed FOC - blaming the service desk who should have referred the problem to the service manager and who have been given further training.

My opinion is that making sure that the car is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations is equivalent to having an insurance policy. It is rare for modern cars to suffer engine or transmission failures during the warranty period - it's the gadgets and electronics that usually go wrong which can be impossible for owners to fix themselves and which can cost the earth to diagnose and repair.

Hence non-compliance with the warranty terms is a highly risky business and unwise.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:29:39 by AlanHo »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

A similar problem has been posted on the KIA forum. Someone bought a 2 year old car and found that the first service was not stamped in the service book.

This is the response from KIA Customer Services (I would expect that Hyundai would reply in similar fashion)

A missing or late service will not invalidate the warranty; however if an issue arises in the future and is linked back to missing / late service items, that particular claim could be rejected. Likewise, servicing outside the Kia network will not invalidate the warranty but we have a number of recommendations in that instance:

◦Servicing should be done at a VAT-registered garage.
◦The service must be completed as per Kia guidelines, using only Kia genuine parts (or those of equivalent quality) and lubricants as recommended by Kia.
◦Ensure all part numbers and lubricants are noted on the servicing invoice, the service booked is stamped, and both are kept in a safe place for reference if needed.

Going forward, choosing a Kia dealer gives you the reassurance they will service, repair and maintain your car to very highest standards using genuine Kia parts. They’ll also check for any safety recalls and Kia service actions that may affect your car.

To qualify for the Kia anti-perforation limited warranty, an inspection needs to be completed by an authorised Kia dealer every 24 months. The intervals are from either the date of first registration or the previous inspection.

We hope this is useful, but if there’s anything else please let us know.
[Unquote]

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I know of only 2 times a warranty has been canceled.
CX9 didn't do first 2 services - oil problem  - dead turbo
Ford Falcon - inital service owner complained that it would reach a speed , then wouldn't do anymore,  plenty of revs left. Dealer asked what speed?   Owner replied  180km/h.

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Hi all.

Quick update: I rang Hyundai UK last week and explained the score -  they were non-committal regarding what the dealer should do but nevertheless opened a case and gave me a case number. They verified that if genuine parts were not used then this was not too important but that the correct grade oil was more important. I explained that there was no evidence of this either and they urged me to again contact the dealer.

I sent the dealer this email:
Hi.

Further to my last email, I contacted the garage who performed the services and they confirmed that they did not use genuine Hyundai parts?

Please can I ask where my wife now stands regarding the guarantee?

Best regards

Reply:
Good morning.

Thank you for your below e mail. I couldn’t comment on what you have been told by this garage, but having spoken with the service department regarding your concerns they had absolutely no issues with the preparation of this car and the continuation of the manufacturer’s warranty. I hope this will put your mind at rest regarding your concerns.

Kind regards

Me:
Good morning.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, there would seem that there is a contradiction here somewhere - I spoke to Hyundai UK on Tuesday and they said that unless there is evidence of Hyundai genuine parts being used and, more importantly, the appropriate grade oil, then there will be issues regarding any part of the guarantee that may be connected with these parts.

It also states something similar in the service Hyundai handbook.

To cover all the bases here, will you guys cover this with your own warranty?

Best regards.

Today's reply:
Good afternoon and thank you for your e mail below.

I would agree as you stated below that that would be the case if the car was not serviced using genuine Hyundai parts and oil, however there is no evidence to support your comments, and as I said in the previous email that my service department were happy enough after the inspection and preparation of this vehicle to release for retail sale along with the continuation of the Hyundai warranty and breakdown cover. I hope that this will put your mind to rest.

Kind regards.

The email I plan to send is this:
Good afternoon.
regarding however there is no evidence to support your comments, as I mentioned - the garage that did all the services after the first one verified that they did not use genuine Hyundai parts. If you would prefer that they provided this on paper/email then I can ask them for this.

So we are clear on three things:
1. In the Hyundai Service Record Book it states 'Ensure that the vehicle is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's specified service schedule ensuring genuine Hyundai supplied parts are fitted'. I have attached a scan of this.
2. The garage that has done all but one of the services verified that "We definitely wouldn't have used genuine Hyundai parts".
3. You state that your service department were 'happy enough after the inspection and preparation of this vehicle to release for retail sale along with the continuation of the Hyundai warranty and breakdown cover'. My point here is that Hyundai UK say otherwise. I am simply trying to get definitive proof and I am sure that you can understand my confusion on this?

Once we can be 100% sure that the car's warranty is 100% fully valid, my mind will then be at rest.

Hope to hear from you soon on this.

Would this be an appropriate response, please?
  • i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My line of thinking is if the Dealer has stated twice in writing then surely that makes them liable regardless of Hyundai UK.

Re-reading the posts, you have a logbook stamped with the services, so I am thinking that effectively states the non-dealer has completed that scheduled service in accordance with the manufacturers' specifications.

if a dispute arose then maybe Hyundai could request information from that maintainer to verify what has been used.

Ultimately you purchased the car with it's current history and the dealer has stated in writing it's covered.

There is very little you can do to change that situation, if the situation arises that an item is not covered under warranty then fight the battle.

I think sending yet another email will piss them off and you may not get another response.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ford Falcon - inital service owner complained that it would reach a speed , then wouldn't do anymore,  plenty of revs left. Dealer asked what speed?   Owner replied  180km/h.
The Falcon owner should be thanking the engineers for saving his life :lol:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
In the unlikely event that you have a major issue with the drivetrain requiring a warranty fix, I believe you have enough confirmation in writing from the Dealer to fight for a warranty repair. Just keep their replies in a safe archive (and a couple of printed copies as well) Maybe one in the Glovebox.

The good news is that most of the warranty repairs reported are minor and not the parts of the car related to services.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Falcon owner should be thanking the engineers for saving his life :lol:

He was a mate at work - he was shattered -  I just told him he was a F D C    :rofl:   :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi buel,
Over here it's as tw2005 said,
stamped by licensed mechanic / tech means it's been done and all items used, meet or exceed manufacturers standards.
Checked with my mechanic to do ours, he stated above applies, it also applies to a mechanic mate in Denmark.
We checked an oil filter just for fun - HYUNDAI is branded Hyundai Z79A, RYCO is Ryco Z79A, couple of other brands Z79A. (that exact code may be wrong but they were all the same, its been a few days )
When we looked for the cheapest to fit  - it wasn't called Z79A, but at $1:50 with free postage - pass.
His oil by the 200l drum exceeds recommended .
Go talk to another mechanic asking if they  service it will warranty be still valid and see what  they say..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal