agents diesel love affair!!!

agentr31 · 339 · 71256

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
depends on the system...

a solid colours in 2 pak (ie white, red ect ect non metallic) don't use a clear coat... im pretty sure our cars were painted in 2 pak from the factory... its the easiest way to get a high gloss straight off the gun

BUT in saying this i have never been involved in automotive re-finishing... only industrial stuff, and what i learnt there should be roughly the same as cars! (lol im not good with paint at all)

2 pak IMHO is a lot "tougher" than other types of paint (acrylic, enamel)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't know whether it's 2 pac or not but like you say Ian my understanding is no clear coat over solid colours usually.. That's why I like the metallics and micas seem to look new with little effort for longer.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
it all boils down to what system they use... some systems the solid colours come out dull as concrete, then they put a clear over it, others give a shine straight from the gun...

general rule is all metallic needs a clear, solids only some systems use it!

Pip
Well that's good to know. I can assume then that white will allow me to use a cutter if necessary without fear of breaching the clear coat. With the last car (metalic with clear), I did have trouble. Eventually... after 15 years that was. :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yer i wouldnt go using a cutting compound on the paint in a hurry.... its thin enough as it is! mabey just keep the wax up to it, and a light polish every now and again!!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
in good news, i have ordered a panel, steering wheel audio control, and the required loom!

but the loom needs to come from korea :( dam!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
heck yeah! today i got my weathershields!!!

a touch too big for my liking! but meh (could be like 10mm shorter)

will allow me to leave the windows down a touch at work now!! (since we have been kicked off site, from our secure under cover parking :( )

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL i forgot the photos...

yer... yer... grandpa i know... but i kinda like slim line weathershields!!

WTF mobis... what is mobis? thanks mr korean ebay man... you didnt say it had this on it...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
mobis makes original Hyundai parts.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
ohh i just thought i would say...

if your planning on getting a set, there is a "proper way" to install them

1, get metho/alcohol and give the surface a really good wipe! this removes any waxes, polish, silicone from the surface,

2, wipe it again with metho

3, do it again

4, you guessed it wipe with metho again

5, now find your favourite brand new microfiber/cotton cloth that wont leave lint behind and wipe the residue off REALLY WELL... this part is the most critical!!!

you have to make sure there is no contamination on the surface prior to installing them, any oil/contamination will eventually cause the double sided tape to fail!!!

6, now its time to put the weather shield on! give it a trial fit before you remove the tape! just see where it should sit before you install it, you want it as high up on the frame as possible, but not sitting past the edge at any point!!

now you have an idea where teh best spot is!!

7, peel the protective film off the double sided tape! and start sticking it on, BUT REMEMBER there is no backing out now... if you stuff it up, too bad try and remove it and put new tape on! press firmly when you have got it on to make sure the tape has stuck properly! DO NOT put the plastic under preassure when you put it on, if you twist it or start moving it around, it will fall off eventually, just let it sit in its natural position, so what if it is 2mm out in the center! no one will notice, but when its falling off everyone will notice!!!

remember this, removing them often ends up in tears, they crack pretty easy if you stuff it up... so take your time, be paitent, and make sure all surfaces are spotless!!!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
hooray! dealer phoned and said my steering wheel switch and panel are in!! so i can go get them tomorrow!!! but the loom isnt in for another 2 weeks :(

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
as some of you are probably aware, my car was dented a few weeks ago by a shopping trolley... pretty annoying, considering where i parked (well away from EVERYTHING)

but anyway such is life... im sure ill get over it eventually *builds a bridge*

well here is a pic of the dent, probably not the best photo of it, but you get the idea

its a pretty nasty dent considering a trolley did it... you cant really see it in the photo but it starts off at the bottom of the ruler (shallow dent) then goes into the crease at around 25mm, and up to around the 120mm mark, ive been told i can get it fixed with the paintless dent people which would be good because im keeping the original paint, but it wont be gone 100% so your winning nothing

anyways ive decided to get new parts and get it fixed myself, partly because i can get NEW genuine panels cheap enough, and my excess is $500 so by me paying for it, ill get a new panel thats not dented. I dont belive in fixing replaceable panels, unlike my insurance who would fix the original panel and it would always be noticable... and it will be cheaper than the excess/repairing the old panel!!!

and my switch came with it! so ill soon be equiped with steering wheel controls!!! (when the loom comes from korea)

another thing... i just cant help myself... i ordered one of those hatch spoilers LOL while i was at hyundai i priced one up, and considering it comes painted it wasnt a bad price!

so when i go and pick up the volume control loom, there should be a spoiler waiting for me there :)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i actually completely missed you had been hit by a trolley! that so sucks. it is a fairly nasty dent
i have *touch wood* been very lucky in this aspect but i dread the day

good luck with the repanel
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
lol, i havent put any photos on here of it before! i dont really like advertising damage :(

yer should be easy... its really up to the panel beater/painter now... ive got a nice straight panel for them to play with so it make their job easy... but well... who knows what this panel beater is like that im going to use!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee Ian.. that is pretty bad for trolley damage   :eek: :'(

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I think he got off lightly, as I found a pic of that trolley...

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ah.. That explains it  :wink:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
considering where i parked (well away from EVERYTHING)

On Wednesday night I went to the local Sainsbury's.

The car park was practically enpty so I park in the middle of a row with no cars for at least 20 spaces in all directions.

Came out and guess what.  

Yes............ Car next to mine with passenger side of their car practically touching mine.

The rest of the car park was as before with no cars within 20 spaces.

Now I don't know whether to think they park next to mine as if someone was to steal a car they take my i30 rather than their tatty thing.

Is that a change of our times..... the Hy brand has leapt to the higher status of a other brands.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I think he got off lightly, as I found a pic of that trolley...

(click to show/hide)

LOL i would hate to see the dent that would make...

man at the time i was soo p155ed, i wanted to load the trolley up, take it to work and oxy cut it into 1,000 pieces then put it in a box and dump it on the door of the shop who owned it...

but you know what, its not their fault some retard couldnt put the trolley back/rolled it down the slope into my car/what ever...

i feel for you eye30, i hate it when that happens, even when i had my old 4x4 (and it was a pile of rubbish) i still didnt park next to people (partly because of the turning circle haha)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
DING DING DING *bell goes off*

my "sports pedals" came today!!!

very easy to install, you just put the clip over the bottom of the pedal, then there are spring clips that hold it on on the top and sides!

pics!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
neat job Ian,and you didn't have to mess around drilling holes.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I saw some sports pedals on special somewhere recently but wouldn't suit the Hybrid...

If I still had the CRDi I would have grabbed them (look good m8)  :mrgreen:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i dropped the new panel off to the panel beaters today! i told him not to rush and do a good job! he reckons it will be done by friday!!!

so i know what im doing this weekend! fitting up a new panel AND replacing all the painted bolts with stainless steel socket head cap screws!

Offline dazmit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If you don't mind how much are all the parts for the steering wheel radio controls and are you fitting it yourself ?

Cheers

Darryl

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
$160 for the switch, and $40 for the loom so $200 all up!

yer i will be fitting it myself!

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6349.0.html

i just read this thread and bobbyd says he got the switch for $85...

LOL i just had to post it in the other thread... woops i mean to put that quote in here...

Offline dazmit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yay my fender came back! looks good... i just need to touch it up with some sand paper (2000 grade) then buff the lower section where it has some overspray/peel!

Offline Daken76

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany, Franken

• My other Ride is a GT650
got my car tinted today!!! very happy with it, its legal tinting i didnt go spastic and get darker... no point really it just makes it illegal

while i was servicing the maxima i tried on the wheels from it on the i30...

i kinda like my other car's wheels on it, but the offset is WAYY to tough for the poor little thing... comments? is white with black wheels good looking or just stupid?

No it isnĀ“t! :lol:
  • 2008er 2.0 crdi cw white leather clima 18"DBVs tint windows ms design

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal