i30 Owners Club

Checking in... [Melb, Victoria]

dino · 28 · 4335

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Hi guys,

New to this place. Just ordered the i30 today through a lease. Black SX Hatch, 2.0lt Auto.

Been driving the i30 for the last month as a loan after I wrote off my old VX Commodore, so the hatch is a much different feel. I like the economy though.

Got a sweet deal with the price, just hoping now that it is the MY11 model, which I was made aware of tonight. Gotta talk to the bloke tomorrow.

Looking at keeping the car pretty stock, but interested in what you guys do to them.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if I can add after sale steering wheel controls to the car, I found some on ebay which are the real deal but dunno if I can attach...

Also, are the iPod connection kits working with the iPhone 4? Are the ones on ebay safe?

Finally, looking at whether to get slimline plates or not. What do you guys think? Any pictures for reference?

Look forward to showing off my ride when I get it and talking with you guys.

Dean

(PS I am in Melbourne, about 10 minutes from the CBD)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Dino and welcome..

There is a fairly new thread or two about adding the steering wheel controls.. just search using the search function or browse the Modifications section.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard dean.  :razz:most of the members cars are bog stock like my wife's cw. i personally like to go mod crazy on my cars and have done on every car I've ever owned.  :lol: :cool:  I'm not a gadgets man but on the site there are a hell of a lot of members that can answer your questions.  you can see my car in ,my hatch pics and mods. .  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Dino and welcome..

There is a fairly new thread or two about adding the steering wheel controls.. just search using the search function or browse the Modifications section.. :cool:
agentr31 is doing his car soon,he may do a write up on it.  :razz:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome dino
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Thanks guys!

Steering wheel controls look a little risky... Might not bother.

Look forward to speaking to you on the forums! :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Welcome dino.....

Finally, looking at whether to get slimline plates or not. What do you guys think? Any pictures for reference?

I've got them on my i30....VicRoads slug you around an extra $80 for the pleasure though....

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Thanks mate. Vicroads and their price hikes. Grr...

Looks good on the front.

If you don't mind, could you show me the back?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Looks great. Thanks for the help mate.

Now I wonder if the dealer will change the plates even after the order has gone through...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
No worries.... :D

I can't imagine it being too much of a problem if they haven't yet registered it.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Welcome Dean!
Save the 80$ for the steering wheel controls.
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
hahahaha nah slim line plates are HEAPS better than the standard size!!

when i get the rest of the steering wheel control parts ill put them in and do a proper write up on it, i cant imagine its to hard...

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Yiasou re adoni! I think I might get the slim plates. Our standards over here are nothing like the Euro plates.

But the steering wheel controls seems hard. I would definitely be interested in a writeup.

I just bought the CK3000 parrot bluetooth for my car (yet to arrive) from Amazon. ~$100AUD (Thank you par(i)ty time!). I should be able to install that no problems, only concern with the steering wheel controls is the airbag.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

:lol: Yiasou kai sena re patrioti!
And i've been worried that no fellow-greek had bought an i30 till now  :D

How much does it costs for a mechanic /electrician other than the Hyundai dealer to fit the steering controls? Here, it can be done usually with half the price or cheaper.

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Haha!  :lol:

Yeah, it shouldn't be too much, but if I am going to get someone not authorised to do it, I'd rather do it myself, unless it was someone that had done it a couple of times already.

Ah! The wait is killing me. No word from the leasing company today, so tomorrow I am not going to be happy. Having no car is awful when you have become so used to it. Thank god uni is a 10 minute tram ride away.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
fingers crossed its soon.  :wink:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Yeah, it shouldn't be too much, but if I am going to get someone not authorised to do it, I'd rather do it myself, unless it was someone that had done it a couple of times already.

In that case, i wouldn't myself trust the "kyr-Mitsos"(*) of the neighborhood :lol:

(*) Term used -mostly in Greece- to describe a wiseacre person; usually a car mechanic

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Wooh! Just got confirmation it is a 2011 model and I added the slimlines!

Car delivery date is set for Friday! Can't wait. 26*C day, so perfect to cruise around in!

Offline loosewheel

• 2nd Gear
Welcome Dino. I am a new owner too.  You are gonna love the ride.

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Picking her up today.

Need a name for her. I think the plates will start with X so looking forward to something special. Haha...

29*C day today in Melbourne. Perfect for some cruising around the city. You might see me down Beach Rd if the weather stays like this tonight. If not, she will be snugged up in the garage. :)

Anything I should be looking out for when I pick the car up?

Any advice on keeping the paint pristine?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
perfect weather up here too!! i plan on going got a bike ride today FTW!!

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Picking her up today.

Need a name for her. I think the plates will start with X so looking forward to something special. Haha...

29*C day today in Melbourne. Perfect for some cruising around the city. You might see me down Beach Rd if the weather stays like this tonight. If not, she will be snugged up in the garage. :)

Anything I should be looking out for when I pick the car up?

Any advice on keeping the paint pristine?

Hi Dino!
Not unlikely, the dealer will try to keep you inside the car, demonstrating the functions of the radio, the a/c system and how to open /close the... glove compartment.   
Look for the parts of the outer body (bonnet, hatch-door etc.) to be fitted /alligned correctly (I had some issues that were fixed on the spot).
Check the paint quality (from a distance too) so you can spot any unevenness (some issues were reported here, i think with a black front bumper).
Look closer for any bulges of paint, especially under bonnet or door-sides etc. Squeeze them, just to make sure...
Use any parts that can be opened /closed.
Take your time. Usually, dealer is fine with this but if he seems in a hurry then doublecheck everything.
Check the tire pressure.
Ask for a short ride, around the parking (and drop the car in a pothole -if you find any- or pass over a bump :lol:). That's unlikely to though...

And don't forget to stop at the next gas-station :P

Offline dino

• 2nd Gear
Wow!

I am so very happy!

What a great little car! I got to the dealer, all was ready as soon as I got there.

I had an awesome surprise when I got there - the car had fog lights installed (SCORE!!), and the MY11 kit looks fantastic. I'll post pics up tomorrow in the sun, but the black lights look great, as does the black interior and seats. I am not 100% but I am pretty sure the centre console has changed from silver to black. The follow me home lights are a great addition.

I've really enjoyed the ride today. Can't wait til I've clocked up a few km's so I can push her a bit harder.

I also recieved the CK3000 bluetooth kit today, will most likely install it tomorrow. But I am LIVID that I just found out the iPhone/CK3000 pairing is dodgy cos you cannot send contacts from the iPhone rendering the voice commands useless. GRRRRRRRRRR!

I'll post some pics up tomorrow. She will probably need a clean because it started raining on my way home. Melbourne.

Dean

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
good on ya mate! sounds like you have a great little package!

pitty about the blue tooth kit... im sure you can make a plan!!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal